• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Anyone have accuracy issues with the XDm 3.8 Compact in 9mm?

This is a discussion on Anyone have accuracy issues with the XDm 3.8 Compact in 9mm? within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; I ask because my shooting partner has one and so far it has been disappointing. Please don't waste my time with advice on how to ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) » Anyone have accuracy issues with the XDm 3.8 Compact in 9mm?

Old 04-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30502

I ask because my shooting partner has one and so far it has been disappointing. Please don't waste my time with advice on how to shoot accurately. My shooting partner is an excellent and very experienced shooter and shoots extremely well with any pistol that he owns, or the ones that I own. Please understand that I am a fan of the XDm and own the 4.5 in .45 ACP that's a tackdriver.

He mentioned the accuracy issues before our last shoot which was yesterday. He fired both factory ammo as well as several handloads I make that we know to be accurate. I bought a Ruger SR9 a little over 3 weeks ago and it is very accurate. To prove his point, he shot groups with my SR9 that were excellent, and groups through the XDm 3.8 C that were unimpressive. The best load we fired was with one of my handloads using the 124 gr. Montana Gold JHP over a warm charge of Ramshot Silhouette. It shot exceptionally well through the SR9, and while it gave him the best accuracy in the XDm 3.8 C, the groups were average at best.

We're both interested in opinions from you guys that have the XDm 3.8 C. I don't need any information regarding other XD or XDm 9mm pistols. My shooting partner has considered installing a trigger kit from PRP or Springer, but feels like that may just be throwing good money after bad. He's also considering selling the pistol and buying the Ruger SR9c, or maybe the SR9 if he becomes convinced that he can properly conceal it. That is an entirely feasible proposition because the SR9 is as thin or thinner than the Dan Wesson CBob he sometimes carries. He'd really like to stick with the XDm C because he's bought 5 or 6 extra mags to go along with the 2 that came with the pistol. Match grade accuracy is not what he's expecting, but neither does he want to carry an inaccurate pistol. So how do you guys that own them and carry them feel about their accuracy?

The truth about OSS data and wound ballistics:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Get the complete picture here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
57K is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 85855
I own both and I shoot equally well with both.

Maybe the ergonomics of the XDM aren't for him. Also, the grip angle can be different for some people. The Ruger is more 1911 style.

That or he has a bad barrel? Doubt it, but if we're guessing...
- Meprolight Night Sights + Crimson Trace LG-449 Laser
Foxx 'Mini' and Old Faithful Holsters
toreador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
Old Timer

Member #: 86807
To me if someone walks around knowing they are great experienced shooters, they won't learn anything new. Not all handguns shoot the same. Just saying, he should be open minded to the possibility that it is operator error. In this case a prp would be a waste of cash, sure it helps accuracy, but he should probably figure out what is causing his lack of accuracy.

Any xd or xdm will be more accurate then the person shooting it. And to answer your question, yes my xdm is accurate.

Make the little things count; teach arithmetic to dwarfs.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Romans 13:4 - For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to [execute] wrath upon him that doeth evil.
azfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 63973
Feel the same as AZFiST, I have the 40 3.8. Out of box it was shooting low left, after about 500 rounds the trigger eased up probably got used to the pistol to. Now I wouldn't trade it. Just some time and practice, he'll be fine.
birda40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
g40
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 63227
I have shot the XDM40c and the Sr40c. I was more accurate with the Sr than the XDM. Like was said different grip angle and trigger reach and pull makes a big difference that sometimes people don't realize being the cause of poorer shooting results.
At my range a shooter was shooting left low. Checked his hand and finger trigger position and saw his trigger finger was riding side of gun. He reposition hand so finger cleared side of gun and he immediately shot better.
I had an FN 57 that I couldn't hit the barn door, yet the gun was reported as being very accurate by most shooters. Buyer shot the gun and for some reason the gun was pretty accurate for him.
Sand bag stable gun and see if gun still shooting way off accuracy. If it isn't then it probably is the hand effects moving the gun.
I have a Sig P226 and a Beretta MKll that make me look like such a good marksman. I am even fairly accurate with a small Rossi .38 special with two" barrel. Hand fit makes a really big difference.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30502
Like I said, guys, it's not an operator issue and he's never had a low left issue. His groups are well centered on the target, they're just bigger than they ought to be. Further, I shot both pistols and had the same results. The XDm C doesn't lock up nearly as tight as my SR9 as far as barrel to slide fit at the chamber or the muzzle, so I'm thinking he just got one that is sub-par. That's why I'm asking, because if no else is having an issue, most likely, he just happened to get a bad example than what is typical.

The truth about OSS data and wound ballistics:

Get the complete picture here:
57K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
I know it's not a XDm9c, but I had the exact same issue when I got my XDm40.

Couldn't shoot it well, picked up any of my other pistols, and was right as rain.

Sometimes it's the pistol/shooter interface. In this case, it could be that you've got a bad barrel. However, if he feels a trigger job is throwing money in a hole, a new barrel would just be the same.

I'd find another pistol that works better for him.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 44190
Yes, we understand that your buddy is an accomplished shooter. However, of all the pistols I've shot, I had the most trouble with my XD, and that was solely because of the trigger. He should try shooting it from a rest since that will help mitigate trigger manipulation issues. Again, I'm not saying it's him, but rather the squishy, crappy trigger that's on all models of XD's.

Otherwise it's either the ergos being off, or there's something not quite "right" with the pistol that is out of the norm, and it needs to go back to Springfield. Although they will likely say it's operating within expected parameters, and send it right back to him.

Pics of groups to help us determine if it's acting like an XD should.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
CBH
XDTalk Member

Member #: 91428
I had an XDm 3.8 9mm for about 2 1/2 months before I traded it off. It never did give me that warm fuzzy feeling!
CBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 1363

If I take my time, this is about as well as I can group so far with mine. Mine has a Springer Precision Carry Trigger job. These were shot from a distance of 10 yards using my reloads:

Anyone have accuracy issues with the XDm 3.8 Compact in 9mm?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1366418452.123346.jpg

Anyone have accuracy issues with the XDm 3.8 Compact in 9mm?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1366418557.540591.jpg
Wilson CQB
Kimber Custom Classic
CZ75B-SA
alzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

Search tags for this page

accuracy problems witn xdm compact 3.8

accuracy proplems with xdm 3.8

aim high shooting low xdm 9mm

how accurate is the xdm 9mm 3.8 compact

springfield xdm 9mm compact problems

springfield xdm accuracy issues

stainless xdm 3.8 9mm
xdm 3,8 9mm accuracy

xdm 3.8 9mm compact accuracy

xdm 3.8 9mm problems

xdm 4.5 9mm accuracy problems

xdm 9 3.8 compact problems

xdm 9mm 4.5 not accurate

xdm 9mm accuracy

xdm 9mm problems

xdm compact 3.8 45 10 yard groups
Click on a term to search for related topics.