• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

concealed carry

This is a discussion on concealed carry within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by Nitro225Optimax I have the same gun, but I like the shorter mag. The extended mag sticks out too far for polo shirt ...

Old 01-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #41
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 60592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro225Optimax View Post
I have the same gun, but I like the shorter mag. The extended mag sticks out too far for polo shirt and t-shirt applications, even with IWB. If you need a little more to hang on to, have you considered the pearce grip extensions for the short mag? They're like $15 or something.
I personally carry a subcompact Springfield XD (not the M) in a Crossbreed holster and with a Pearce pinky extension.

I can tell you it's a good set up, what I can't tell you is if it's, one, the best for you and two, it's better than an XDS carry as I've never had the chance to carry the new XDS.

I'd also add that I've thought of trading my subcompact XD towards a new XDS but I don't really want to part with it, and it's a known good for me.
johnnyastro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #42
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 75542
Quote:
Originally Posted by BACyclone View Post
What made you choose the .45 over the other calibers?

I'd like .45 too for CCW, but if I use it for a range course or anything else besides CCW sending quantities of lead through it, a 9mm will be a lot more economical. Kinda leaning that way now for my 1st gun, maybe going with a .45 later.

Just wondering what your thought process was in choosing the .45 for #1. If it is purely CCW I can see that.
Before I bought my gun, I went to the range with a friend, who has quite an extensive gun collection. Out of all the different calibers I shot, the .45 was my favorite. For no other reason than I just like the way it felt when I shot a .45.

My .45 is my carry weapon, and it can get expensive to shoot if you go to the range quite a bit. That's why I bought a 9mm XDm in 4.5" a few weeks ago.
Thavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #43
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 73114
if you are in bear counrty, why not carry a snubby 44 mag?
corey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #44
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 85175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thavik View Post
Before I bought my gun, I went to the range with a friend, who has quite an extensive gun collection. Out of all the different calibers I shot, the .45 was my favorite. For no other reason than I just like the way it felt when I shot a .45.

My .45 is my carry weapon, and it can get expensive to shoot if you go to the range quite a bit. That's why I bought a 9mm XDm in 4.5" a few weeks ago.
Thanks! Right now I am totally with you. My first gun's first job will be for carry / defense, so I think it's best to go with the .45 -- but I'm also going to use it to try out some IDPA stuff with some friends this summer. One - get comfortable with gun for sure... but also if it's something I want to spend more time at, I think I'll be getting a full-size XDm 9mm for just that purpose. Next year.
BACyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #45
XDTalk Member

Member #: 85328
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2500 View Post
Have both the XDm 3.8 compact and the XDS. Both will CC fine with a good belt and holster.

The edge for easier concealment goes to the XDS, but if you want a few more rounds then the XDm compact is it. Just add a bit more width and some additional weight of the gun and spare larger magazine with going with a XDm compact over the XDS.

You mentioned needing something for bear and mountain lion protection while hiking. When in the mountains, like riding ATVs or on a backcountry camping trip, it's the 44 mag revolver with some hot 240gr SWC handloads that gets the nod. Of course it isn't the handiest choice for CC with it's 6.5" barrel.

In my opinion the .45 does not have quite the energy for those beasts, but it would certainly be better than a sharp stick. Maybe something more like a 10mm or a 44 mag in a mountain gun kind of snubby size might be more apropos if you can only get one and need it to do a bit of everything.
I will also be carrying my cz-52 which is a 7.62x25. This is a bad little round with some real force behind it. It may not make a big hole but it will make good penetration(it will shot clean through an engine block).
Thank you for your advice and input tho!

XDm 45ACP Compact 3.8
CZ52 7.62x25
Smith & Wessen .38
Rossi .38 special snub
Winchester 1300 Defender Speed Pump
Winchester 1400 MK II
303 British Enfield Long Branch MK I(1944)w/Simmons 3-9x40
Mosin Nagant 7.62x54(1939)
(All in working order)
kdmimagery.zenfolio.com
KDM76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #46
XDTalk Member

Member #: 52786
My wife just got a Walther PPS for her carry pistol, very nice firearm. Downside is 8 in the mag if you are looking for capacity.
Fishingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #47
XDTalk Member

Member #: 78878
7.62x25 is a service caliber like a 45 or 9mm, no more, no less. It has some nice features compared to some other calibers, but from what I see it's only an 85 grain bullet going zoom-zoom speeds, in the range of 1300-1700 fps.

That combination does not do much for my confidence in trusting my life and limb to it against the wildlife we have in Colorado. Think you give that round way too much credit against bears, mountain lions or other large animals.

While that round may penetrate well, I suspect it'll take a bear or even lion quite a while bleed out from it. Then their adrenaline has kicked in fully and in the case of a bear their body can go in to hibernation mode and they can last upwards to 5 minutes if you were lucky enough to blow up their heart so they can still do some real damage to you if they are so determined. That why it's common to wait up to 30 minutes before tracking a shot bear to give it chance to lay down, bleed out and die.

I've hit elk with a 7mm magnum rifle, (it's no slouch, 165gr at 2950 fps for 3188 ft lbs of energy), and in one particular specimen I found when dressing it out, that my first shot broke ribs, hit in the lung and went through the heart and the bullet was found lodged in the hide on the other side. Could not ask for a better shot. It was most certainly dead from that first shot, but that elk didn't know it yet and just stood there showing no reaction to being hit at all. Since I saw absolutely no reaction from it I thought I had missed and ended up wasting some meat by taking a second shot that wasn't needed.

Just saying these larger animals are much tougher than any human will ever be, well there might be those certain drug induced individuals that can only be stopped with nervous system disruption shot...

If you have the presence of mind to get a really good shot off you could probably penetrate the skull or other vitals, but I certainly would not want to leave my chance for surviving on that small possibility.

Have run in to some bears here in Colorado in the 350-400 pound range while riding, making even a 44 mag quickly seem out-classed for an effective ambush reactionary type of shot, ie: getting charged with no notice.

I'll continue to take the .44 mag with 240gr cruising at around 1500fps, which comes in at 1200 ft lbs versus that 85gr pill at 1650fps making 511 ft lbs.

Sorry if I rambled...
B2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #48
XDTalk Member

Member #: 85328
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2500 View Post
7.62x25 is a service caliber like a 45 or 9mm, no more, no less. It has some nice features compared to some other calibers, but from what I see it's only an 85 grain bullet going zoom-zoom speeds, in the range of 1300-1700 fps.

That combination does not do much for my confidence in trusting my life and limb to it against the wildlife we have in Colorado. Think you give that round way too much credit against bears, mountain lions or other large animals.

While that round may penetrate well, I suspect it'll take a bear or even lion quite a while bleed out from it. Then their adrenaline has kicked in fully and in the case of a bear their body can go in to hibernation mode and they can last upwards to 5 minutes if you were lucky enough to blow up their heart so they can still do some real damage to you if they are so determined. That why it's common to wait up to 30 minutes before tracking a shot bear to give it chance to lay down, bleed out and die.

I've hit elk with a 7mm magnum rifle, (it's no slouch, 165gr at 2950 fps for 3188 ft lbs of energy), and in one particular specimen I found when dressing it out, that my first shot broke ribs, hit in the lung and went through the heart and the bullet was found lodged in the hide on the other side. Could not ask for a better shot. It was most certainly dead from that first shot, but that elk didn't know it yet and just stood there showing no reaction to being hit at all. Since I saw absolutely no reaction from it I thought I had missed and ended up wasting some meat by taking a second shot that wasn't needed.

Just saying these larger animals are much tougher than any human will ever be, well there might be those certain drug induced individuals that can only be stopped with nervous system disruption shot...

If you have the presence of mind to get a really good shot off you could probably penetrate the skull or other vitals, but I certainly would not want to leave my chance for surviving on that small possibility.

Have run in to some bears here in Colorado in the 350-400 pound range while riding, making even a 44 mag quickly seem out-classed for an effective ambush reactionary type of shot, ie: getting charged with no notice.

I'll continue to take the .44 mag with 240gr cruising at around 1500fps, which comes in at 1200 ft lbs versus that 85gr pill at 1650fps making 511 ft lbs.

Sorry if I rambled...
I enjoyed the info here! Thanks for sharing it!

XDm 45ACP Compact 3.8
CZ52 7.62x25
Smith & Wessen .38
Rossi .38 special snub
Winchester 1300 Defender Speed Pump
Winchester 1400 MK II
303 British Enfield Long Branch MK I(1944)w/Simmons 3-9x40
Mosin Nagant 7.62x54(1939)
(All in working order)
kdmimagery.zenfolio.com
KDM76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #49
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 63745
Grip length is crucial when trying to cc, as it usually what gives us away when carrying. Having a shorter grip pistol is usually always easier to conceal. You can still carry a full size backup mag or two.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #50
XDTalk Member

Member #: 70861
I didn't read everything... But I carry a XDm 3.8" 45acp daily in a Thesis IWB holster and it's fine. I'm 5'5" and 150lbs and no issues at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
4.0B2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

Search tags for this page
135lbs carry xd 45
ammo possibilities for xdm 3.8 .45acp compact

best 1911 for concealed carry

best 45 acp to carry concealed 2013
best ccw 45 caliber pistol in 2013
best concealed 9mm 2013

best concealed carry 9mm

best concealed carry gun

best concealed carry pistol

best concealed carry xd talk

concealed carry holster cz 52
iwb holster 45 xdm compact
Click on a term to search for related topics.