• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

concealed carry

This is a discussion on concealed carry within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by FrEaK_aCcIdEnT It is decently accessible for me while I'm driving. It can be hit or miss with long drives. I have taken ...

Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #31
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 85175
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrEaK_aCcIdEnT View Post
It is decently accessible for me while I'm driving. It can be hit or miss with long drives. I have taken many trips that involved 4 hours of driving at a time. If you are the type of person that can't stand a wallet in your back pocket for a long drive, then this would he the same nagging annoyance.

If I have to drive more than 5 hours, I tend to take it out and keep it between myself and the center console covered up.
Thanks, yes that is exactly what I was wondering. Probably my most frequent "longer" drive is the 3-hour trip to my parents' house. Sometimes I do throw my wallet in the center console, but not always, but that is more because I tend to have a George Constanza wallet.

But that would be a situation where I'd like to be able to have a CCW and I think I could do just what you are saying. Thanks again!
BACyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #32
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 31549
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM76 View Post
well that is another option but i really like the idea of more rounds and more gun to hang onto. i have held the XDm but not the XDs.
Here, Here. That is why when springfield came out with the XDS, I was thinking "why"? The XDM 3.8 is a better handgun from the point of more rounds. All the people that went and got the XDS over the XDM......I just did not get it. More rounds is better, in my opinion.
mvanlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #33
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 38362
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvanlone View Post
Here, Here. That is why when springfield came out with the XDS, I was thinking "why"? The XDM 3.8 is a better handgun from the point of more rounds. All the people that went and got the XDS over the XDM......I just did not get it. More rounds is better, in my opinion.

Not always. heck, I carry a dang Taurus 740 10x more than my xdm-40 because of the weight and thickness difference. Comfort while carrying for 12-16 hours trumps a couple extra rounds. At least in my book, but i don't plan on ever having to shoot it out with a swarm of brain eating zombies.

Tactical black cat - sleeps in doorways

A right unused become a privilege for the ruling class.

john_bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #34
XDTalk Member

Member #: 85046
I just got the xdm 45 compact, and will be very comfortable carrying it. I wasn't as crazy about the smaller capacity mags on the xds, mainly because I can't stand the shorter grip. The 13 round mag gives you something to hang on to.
Zlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #35
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 31549
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_bud View Post
Not always. heck, I carry a dang Taurus 740 10x more than my xdm-40 because of the weight and thickness difference. Comfort while carrying for 12-16 hours trumps a couple extra rounds. At least in my book, but i don't plan on ever having to shoot it out with a swarm of brain eating zombies.
I was at a gun shop and held the XDS in my hand and because it is not a full length handgun the placing of your hands with the last 2 fingers not having something for support, I can for see myself in a stressful shooting situation where accuracy might mean life and death with a fluid movement of the draw that you could actually be off of your shot. Its more important to hold a gun in your hand where each finger is around the gun for the best stable shot. So it was not just the lower amount of the rounds, but the short hand placement as well. You have to have comfortable stable control of your handgun to shoot the best. Especially when you are dealing with a 45 cal.
mvanlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #36
XDTalk Member

Member #: 78878
Two fingers not on the grip of the XDS, so guess that means you have some mighty large hands, eh?

I am not such a giant, but can easily get my index finger on the trigger along with two fingers comfortably on the grip of the XDS, no problem. Just my pinky is left off the grip. Guess I learned to shoot ok that way with some smaller 9mms I have.

With the 9 round mag in the XDm 45 compact, my pinky also wraps on the bottom of the magazine. I do wonder why would a person buy a compact and then conceal it using the larger mag, just for the option?

Take a look at hickok45 and you will see he shoots with a two fingers on the grip even when using a gun with full size grips. He even said he liked the XDS and he has pretty large hands.

It's all in your mindset and practicing with a two fingers on the grip versus three. I contend a person can be just as accurate with two.
B2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #37
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 83835
I have both the XDm and the XDs. I love both guns, but I find myself carrying the XDs with a 7 round magazine more often. The sacrifice is only 2 rounds, but it's a much slimmer and slightly lighter carry. With the extended mag it feels almost identical to my old 1911 lightweight officer.

The XDm, however, is a little easier to shoot, and has a better trigger job (PRP) than the XDs.
TonyDedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #38
XDTalk Newbie

I haven't been able to hold an XD-S yet (sold out locally) but from videos online it does seem like most people should be able to get two fingers on the grip and the pinky would be fully off the handle with the compact mag. Which, I agree if you were going XD-S I would assume that would be your standard setup, because the design of the pistol is to be the smallest concealment. Everyone you see shooting in videos shoots with two hands anyway, so does it matter? It is more psychological, I am sure.

I held a 3.8 compact XDm and with the compact mag in my pinky was at best half off the bottom of the mag. Of course with a two-hand shot this wouldn't be a big deal, I don't think. But anyway it still felt great in my hands. I would doubt you carry with the extended mag, but going to the range (or home defense) and having the option of the bigger mag with more rounds sure seems like a one-size-fits-most proposition. They did have a 3.8" full-frame at the store so I could basically get the feel of both setups, and I am very enamored with the 3.8" XDm!

With the XDm in compact it sure seems super concealable, and gives you 9 in the mag (45) which sure seems like an adequate CCW setup. And having 13 in the X-mag surely would be plenty for anything from home defense to an IDPA match if you wanted to take a 45 that far.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #39
XDTalk Newbie

S vs M

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_bud View Post
I have to think the XD-S is purely situational for a deep-concealment application. If your body type or carry situation is really tough and the smaller barrel and slimmer design is a big benefit, then there you have a really nice package.

And maybe yes, if you are carrying for a long time or trying to carry while driving a truck all day maybe that is an example of where an XD-S would shine.

For me I doubt I will ever have an extended carry like that and the small tradeoffs for getting the gun small are not worth the cost of giving up the number of rounds you get in an XDm for other (non-carry) applications. The S is a pure carry gun, which is fine -- but for now I personally like having the options of more applications that an XDm offers.

Maybe in the future if my budget and need drives for a pure carry gun, the XD-S is surely something I'd look into buying.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #40
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 85416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlayer View Post
I just got the xdm 45 compact, and will be very comfortable carrying it. I wasn't as crazy about the smaller capacity mags on the xds, mainly because I can't stand the shorter grip. The 13 round mag gives you something to hang on to.
I have the same gun, but I like the shorter mag. The extended mag sticks out too far for polo shirt and t-shirt applications, even with IWB. If you need a little more to hang on to, have you considered the pearce grip extensions for the short mag? They're like $15 or something.
Nitro225Optimax is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

Search tags for this page
ammo possibilities for xdm 3.8 .45acp compact

best 1911 for concealed carry

best 45 acp to carry concealed 2013
best 9mm for ccw 2013 forums
best ccw 45 caliber pistol in 2013
best concealed 9mm 2013

best concealed carry 9mm

best concealed carry 9mm 2013

best concealed carry gun

best concealed carry holster for xd 9 for truck drivers

best concealed carry pistol

best concealed carry xd talk

concealed carry holster cz 52
cz52 for bears
which 45 acp gor ccw 2013 forums
xds 3.3 vs xdm 3.8
Click on a term to search for related topics.