XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/)
-   XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-m-discussion-room-xd-m/)
-   -   XDM or GLOCK 17? (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-m-discussion-room-xd-m/206616-xdm-glock-17-a.html)

drnoob 07-08-2012 12:33 PM

XDM or GLOCK 17?

I'm thinking of getting a full size 9mm I'm torn between the glock 17 gen 4 (dark earth color) or the full size xdm (all black)! What's the pros and cons for both?

lowbar 07-08-2012 12:45 PM

Get both.......... I did!

Cuda66 07-08-2012 12:51 PM

Glock pros--less expensive, more (and cheaper) aftermarket support, greater holster selection, sights that are easily replaceable on your own, generally cheaper mags.

Glock con--Some folks have had issues with really light loads in the gen4's, I've yet to see one in all of the Gen4's I've been around. Some issues with new MIM extractor, easily and cheaply remedied.

XDm pro--3-dot instead of dot in box sight, two more rounds capacity.

XDM con--see Glock pros, and add in a mushy trigger.

scotty8 07-08-2012 01:56 PM

I also have both, and there is no wrong answer here. The XDM has been flawless, the G17 (gen4) had one FTE in the first 50 rounds through it and has been flawless since. The stock Glock trigger is better, but the PRP Match trigger in the XDM is better than any aftermarket Glock trigger. The XDM mags are definitely easier to load, the gun is WAY easier to take down than the Glock, and probably has the edge in accuracy though not to any meaningful degree in a SD handgun.

I think the only question here is which one will you buy first?

mustang_gtcs 07-08-2012 02:00 PM

The Glock is a better buy for the money.

I had a gen4 G17 and it was very accurate and Glock fixed the issue with the casings coming strait back and hitting the shooter in the head. All my casings went into a nice little pile after I swapped out my RSA and extractor for the most current design.

The only reason I no longer have it is that a trade came up for a two tone XDm9 4.5 in mint condition with all the factory goodies and the guy was willing to do an even trade for my G17 that I paid the leo price of $422 out the door. Their is no way I would have ever got an XDm9 4.5 for what I paid for the Glock so I did the trade and I plan on getting another gen4 G17 as soon as I have the funds.

My pros and cons.

XDm pro's: Good grip angle - 19 round mag - nice looking gun

XDm cons: Sits high in the hand - sight hard to change - long mooshy trigger - price - lower resale value - little aftermarket support.

Glock Pros: nice factory trigger - easy to work on - sits low in the hand - price - excellent resale value - huge aftermarket support.

Glock cons: Grip angle.

The Glock has more pros and less cons than the XDm for me and I almost sold my first XD shortly after getting it because I could shoot the Glock better. I did a little research to see how I could improve the XD and tried the PRP UMT trigger kit and that was the ticket for me. With the PRP trigger kit I was out shooting my Glocks but it came at a cost of $140 for each of my XD/XDm's wich is a lot of money but it made the XD/XDm's I own a much better gun.

If I had a choice to buy one or the other and could not make any modifications to it I would go with the Glock.

windsearcher 07-08-2012 03:24 PM

I have a Glock, and while it had some problems (wear and tear with some broken parts... fixed now)... I do not throw that into the equation.

I like my XDM .40 better than the Glock 23. Capacity is higher. (The XDM 9mm carries more rounds than the G-17 as well). And to me, I just really liked the feel of the XDM better. I am also a better shot with the XDM vs G-23.

Not sure how the new Gen 4 Glock 17 is with the new tweaks they have made.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. For price, you may find better deals on the firearm, parts and accessories than you can with the XDM.

Like anything... try them both if you can. You may find one shoots a lot better than the other, THAT would help you in your decision.

KTXdm9 07-08-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowbar (Post 3420181)
Get both.......... I did!

I like the way you think.

Do you have range time with either model, OP? If not, that should make the decision easier for you.

AirForceAce357 07-08-2012 04:27 PM

You honestly can't go wrong with either one! I don't have too much experience with XDMs except for shooting one about 2 years ago, but I recently bought a Gen 4 G17 as my first handgun and it's been 100% reliable so far w/ about 200 rounds downrange. Yes, the early Gen4s had issues, but they've been corrected and I really like the improved ergos of Gen4s compared to Gen3s.

XDMs are also great guns too, love 'em. reliable, accurate, great ergos, good value for the money (for all the stuff you get with one), better sights, and a slightly better trigger IMO.

I was really torn between the same two guns as you, but went with the Glock after shooting one at a range and falling in love with it. Glock was also less expensive for me to get (I'm on a super tight budget) and I also liked the vast, cheap array of accessories available for Glocks. But it was indeed a close call to make, and I don't regret the Glock! I do, however, plan to get a XDM9 4.5 in the future when funds permit it.

Bottom line: go check both out, and decide which one you like better, or get both if you can!

drnoob 07-08-2012 05:29 PM

http://prebanarmory.com/wp-content/u...2012/04/32.jpg where can i find this?

lowbar 07-08-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KTXdm9 (Post 3420386)
I like the way you think.

Do you have range time with either model, OP? If not, that should make the decision easier for you.

I've had lots of Glocks, they work and they're reliable. End of story....... With that said my 4.5 XDM is right there with it. I trust my life with either one. They both shoot solid, accurate and are reliable.