• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Racking Issues with XDM .45

This is a discussion on Racking Issues with XDM .45 within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; Hi All, I just got an XDM 5.25 .45 and I'm having an issue with it. When the slide is closed and I have a ...

Old 07-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 46280
Angry Racking Issues with XDM .45

Hi All,

I just got an XDM 5.25 .45 and I'm having an issue with it. When the slide is closed and I have a full magazine inserted, it's near impossible to rack the slide and load the first round which is downright bizarre. If I really force it, it'll begrudgingly load a round, but when I eject the round you can see a long scrape mark on the bullet casing from where the slide must be grinding up against it when you rack it back.

I have an XD 9, never had anything like this happen with it. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Something is definitely off here, and I can't even consider competing with it in it's current state. Thanks for your time!
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 33132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
Hi All,

I just got an XDM 5.25 .45 and I'm having an issue with it. When the slide is closed and I have a full magazine inserted, it's near impossible to rack the slide and load the first round which is downright bizarre. If I really force it, it'll begrudgingly load a round, but when I eject the round you can see a long scrape mark on the bullet casing from where the slide must be grinding up against it when you rack it back.

I have an XD 9, never had anything like this happen with it. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Something is definitely off here, and I can't even consider competing with it in it's current state. Thanks for your time!
Lock the slide back then insert full mag. The mag springs will loosen up after some use. How many rounds are you putting in the mag?

don
dglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Old Timer

Member #: 60337
Does it have the same problem with more than one magazine?
OKcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 35767
With a fully loaded mag, there is a lot of pressure exerted by the top round against the center feed rail of the slide. The column of rounds in the mag are actually compressed even more. Think of trying to shove one more round in a fully loaded mag, and you get the idea how much pressure is involved.

That is compounded by the "bump" at the breech end of the feed rail. For that to get past the top round, the column must be compressed more yet!

It will get better as the mag springs wear in and relax a little, but it won't go away completely.

Easiest solution is to insert the mag with the slide back and then either release the slide stop or sling shot the slide to feed a round, the latter being preferred to slow wear on the slide stop.

CX
Charlie Xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 66064
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglock View Post
Lock the slide back then insert full mag. The mag springs will loosen up after some use. How many rounds are you putting in the mag?

don
+1 Agree...
richeyo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 60846
I never had this problem but I "broke mine in" before use. I locked the slide back, let it ram forward and dry fired it probably 3 dozen times or so before I ever added ammunition to the mix. probably not necessary or even recommended but I never have had issues with the XDM45 and slide racking issues.
Tahunua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 35767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahunua001 View Post
I never had this problem but I "broke mine in" before use. I locked the slide back, let it ram forward and dry fired it probably 3 dozen times or so before I ever added ammunition to the mix. probably not necessary or even recommended but I never have had issues with the XDM45 and slide racking issues.
If I am understanding you correctly, dropping the slide on an empty chamber is not a real good idea, as it puts stress on components that would not be there clambering a round.

And I don't see how that would relieve the OP's original problem?

CX
Charlie Xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 35615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Xray View Post
If I am understanding you correctly, dropping the slide on an empty chamber is not a real good idea, as it puts stress on components that would not be there clambering a round.

And I don't see how that would relieve the OP's original problem?

CX
Left me scratching my head too.....

- George Washington
XD-Generate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 67857
You said it was scraping the case.
If you remove the slide can you see any burrs on the bottom of the firing pin channel (the part that actually rubs across the round and pushes the next into the chamber)
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
XDTalk Member

Member #: 66853
The slide on my XDm 5.25 in 45 ACP was a little tough to rack when I first got the gun. Went away with use. I considered it part of the break in.
jrw113 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

.45, 5.25, problem, slide, xdm

Search tags for this page
favorite load for xdm 45
mark on bullet after racking slide
problems with xdm 5.25
rack springfield xd 9mm subcompact racking
springfield 45 stuck on bullet while racking
springfield 45 wont rack with full mag
springfield xd-s racking
springfield xdm 5.25 problems

xdm 45

xdm 45 problems

xdm 5.25 dropping magazines

xdm problems

Click on a term to search for related topics.