• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New XD(m) purchase... Need some advice.

This is a discussion on New XD(m) purchase... Need some advice. within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; I'm heading to my first gun show in a couple of weeks in Ft. Lauderdale and the only thing I know is that I would ...

Old 05-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 72346
New XD(m) purchase... Need some advice.

I'm heading to my first gun show in a couple of weeks in Ft. Lauderdale and the only thing I know is that I would like to walk out with a brand new XD(m).

From what I've read on this site and others I'm leaning a little more towards a 4.5" 9mm. This will be my first gun purchase and I'm looking for something that I can mainly take to the range and sharpen/build my skills with and for protection. I do not plan on conceal carrying the weapon.

Can you guys give me some advice on;
What I should look to pay at a gun show?
Which barrel length is best for what I'm looking to do?
Which caliber is preferable?
What are some good accessories (i.e. extra mags or light/laser attachments) to have?
GameOver620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 67471
Welcome from Ohio. From what you say you want, this sounds like a great option/caliber.

I like to look up going prices on several websites right before I go to a show.

You'll want extra mags and lots of ammo for sure. Everything else, you can decide as you go.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 74119
As far as pricing, you're looking at new, right? Bitone or black?

I suggest staying with the 4.5 since you're not going to carry it. I have 2 XDm's, a 4.5 in 45 and the 3.8 compact in 9mm. I like the 45 better for home defense and in general think it's a far better round but it is very pricey to shoot. So I would suggest the 9mm as you can get very good deals on ammo.

Get extra mags. I have a laser / light on my 45 and like the light but shoot for crap with the laser (my fault 100%, just don't like it).

As far as prices on everything, check Buds for what they are selling it for keeping in mind that with them you pay more to get it to you and their prices are for money orders +3% for credit cards. Also check Springfield's website for mags, everything is on sale right now.

Good luck!
Snaphook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 72132
Agree with the above. Check the internet sites and know the shipping, tax, credit card uplift, and the FFL transfer fee and know what you get it for online. I assume they will need to charge tax at the show so that could offset the shipping charges. I was just checking around last week and best pricing and availability I could find was sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore

I also agree that 9mm is great because, believe me, ammo adds up fast. My first handgun was a 45 bought for home defense, but after about 2k rounds at the range, I decided buying the 9mm would pay for itself pretty quick in ammo savings. Plus I've learned the more XDm's the better.

I think the 4.5 is a good bet also, or even the 5.25 which I love.
JayBo1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 71750
I like to check galleryofguns.com for prices. They seem to have pretty competitive deals. I agree with more mags. I like to load a few before shooting. However, the ammo seems to not last as long

You can't always get what you want, but if you try you get what you need.
Brownie65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 72714
I'm thinking of buying to same gun...hopefully soon. I have a 4.5 .45 but would like a 9mm for ammo reasons too. Let us know if you get one and $$
ngp960608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 66064
The 4.5" 9mm would be a great range H/D pistol. I own a XDm 9mm 3.8" & 5.25", the 5.25" is my range toy which you might look into also if you're mainly using for range. I agree w/above about looking around on the web to ge an idea of price. I would recomend walking around the show & look at all the vendors & talk with before you make a decision.
Good luck!
richeyo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 70378
Any XDM is a GREAT choice for a first weapon! Also the guy is correct about you wanting more mags. If you make your choice 100% now, midwayusa has mags for 24 bucks!( regularly 27+ on that site) Beats paying 34+ tax/shipping directly from Springfield and they ARE the same orignal Mfg. mags. The sale has been all month long, and ends on the 31st. I picked up a few extra myself from them. If you hurry and take advantage of the sale, you can order a few extra mags AND combine shipping on them. And then use the money saved for extra ammo, TRUST me you're GONNA need it lol.
Some people argue against a 9mm. Oddly enough, I haven't found a single person so far who is SO unimpressed with the stopping power of a 9mm, that he is willing to stand downrange and catch one fired out of my XDM.
Down_range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 71014
I got the xdm9 4.5 and love it! paid 600 at gun show! It is my EDC,range,and HD weapon(my everything)!Carry it all day in a CBST and it is very comfortable! diffidently shop the whole gun show before you purchase anything!
Bersa Thunder 380
Baikal 3.5" 12 GA. semi-auto
Mosin Nagant M91/30
VCDL member
NRA member
USCCA member
jeremy9mmXDm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 72346
Thanks for the advice! I am leaning toward the bi-tone 4.5" 9mm.

Should all new purchases of xdm's whether it be online or at show come with the case and accessories like it shows on the Springfield website?
GameOver620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

advice, gun show, xd(m)

Search tags for this page
9mm 4.5 bi-tone
academy springfield xdm 9mm 4.5 bitone pistol
gun show price 4.5 xdm 9mm silver black
hs xdm 9mm 4.5 bi-tone
hs xdm 9mm 4.5 black
hs xdm 9mm 5.25 competition

hs xdm 9mm 5.25 competition bi-tone

springfield xdm 9mm 4.5 bitone for sale
springfield xdm 9mm 4.5 bitone prices
springfield xdm 9mm gunshow price
which xd to buy
why are xdm 9mm 4.5 hard to find
xdm 9 competition laser rod for sale
xdm 9mm competition bitone
xdm 9mm competition bitone or black
Click on a term to search for related topics.