• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Thinking of upgrading my XDM...

This is a discussion on Thinking of upgrading my XDM... within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by Rotorhead Sights, grips or a guide rod are fine. But changing out the trigger could lead to legal issues if you use ...

Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #41
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 70408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Sights, grips or a guide rod are fine. But changing out the trigger could lead to legal issues if you use the pistol for concealed carry and have to pop some @sshole. He (or his survivors) could go after you for using a custom handgun with a "dangerously light trigger". Just playing devils advocate. If you shoot someone you must be prepared to defend yourself from both criminal and civil lawsuits. I work in the private security industy here in NC. Lasers and pistol mounted lights are verboten on our weapons (Private security, NOT for average Joe). Any modification that changes the mechanical functioning of the pistol is not allowed. that means no aftermarket springs, guide rods, barrels, definately NO drop in triggers, etc. Think they won't know? You shoot someone and the police WILL take your weapon as evidence. You kill someone and you can bet the bank it will be throughly gone through by experts paid for by the other party. So while upgrades, modifications and fancy add-ons are cool and everything, be aware of some of the possible consequences. What you think will give you an advantage in a fight might be called a "modification to make a weapon easier to use to kill a person" by some civil attorney.
You made some very good points. A tuned gun is great for the firing range... or competition. But it can work to your disadvantage in your carry weapon, in court, if you ever have to use it for deadly force.

For a carry weapon, a factory stock weapon, with common, off the shelf ammunition is, IMHO, the best choice.

Thanks,

Duane
Duane is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #42
XDTalk Member

Member #: 67493
After consulting with an attorney, there has not been a case where trigger mods have convicted someone for a justifiable homicide.
Ruger 10/22 ATI
AR being currently built
Offensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #43
XDTalk Member

Member #: 69124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane

You made some very good points. A tuned gun is great for the firing range... or competition. But it can work to your disadvantage in your carry weapon, in court, if you ever have to use it for deadly force.

For a carry weapon, a factory stock weapon, with common, off the shelf ammunition is, IMHO, the best choice.

Thanks,

Duane
+1.
hwydrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #44
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 25307
XDM with PRP ultimate match target trigger kit is pretty freakin amazing. I also added a stainless guide rod.

JJay03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #45
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 70408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offensive View Post
After consulting with an attorney, there has not been a case where trigger mods have convicted someone for a justifiable homicide.
You may be 100% correct, but over the years I've read several horror stories to the contrary.

You carry what you want, and I'll carry what I want.

That way, we're both happy, and hopefully neither of us will ever know who's decision was best.

Thanks,

Duane
Duane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #46
XDTalk Member

Member #: 67493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane View Post
You may be 100% correct, but over the years I've read several horror stories to the contrary.

That way, we're both happy, and hopefully neither of us will ever know who's decision was best.

Thanks,

Duane
Fair enough
Ruger 10/22 ATI
AR being currently built
Offensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #47
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 38362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offensive View Post

^ this.

Tactical black cat - sleeps in doorways

A right unused become a privilege for the ruling class.

john_bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #48
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 70162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadI

why send your pistol to prp or some other company for a trigger job when springfield can do it?
Because there are gun smiths that do it better as good or better. The PRP drop in trigger kit makes an incredible difference by itself, I can't imagine how much better with some polishing on top of that. I think my question is why didn't Springfield design the gun with a better trigger to begin with? I will bet it is tied to legal liability.
andrsnsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #49
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 33132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane View Post

Thanks,

Duane
You can read lots of stories on the web but that does not make them true!

Did any of these stories have a court cite or a link to verify them? I have challenged people on forums many time to link a cite to back up this old wifes tale but so far no one has.

don
dglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #50
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 68720
Just ordered the PRP Ultimate Match Trigger kit.

LagerHead, thanks for the video, very helpful!
TXtahoeZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

springfield, upgrades, xdm

Search tags for this page
apex trigger xdm
best springfield xdm upgrades
best upgrades for xdm
best way to polish a xdm barrel

best xdm upgrades

polish xdm sear
polishing a barrel crown
what can you do to improve the springfield xdm
xdm apex trigger upgrade
xdm barrel crown
xdm barrel crowning
xdm recommended upgrades
xdm sear mod
xdm upgrade parts

xdm upgrades

xds upgrades
Click on a term to search for related topics.