• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Thinking of upgrading my XDM...

This is a discussion on Thinking of upgrading my XDM... within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by Sniper Brosef what does polishing those parts do? ive never heard of that...im still a tad green....but im a pretty darn good ...

Old 02-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
LagerHead

Member #:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Brosef View Post
what does polishing those parts do? ive never heard of that...im still a tad green....but im a pretty darn good shot
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_bud View Post
Unload your gun. Pick a safe direction. Check it's unloaded, ok, now slooooooowly dry fire the gun. You feel that slightly gritty sensation? You feel how the pressure to move the trigger (and striker) goes up and down?

After polishing, you won't.
It can also reduce your trigger pull. I polished every metal surface that moves against another metal surface to reduce friction. With about an hour's worth of work with 000 Steel Wool on several surfaces I made my trigger feel like "butta!"
Remove Ads
Old 02-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
XDTalk Member

Member #: 67490
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootinnc1988 View Post
why send it out when you can do it your self and save the shipping and labor. i did mine with the drop in kit and it is just as good as in house. did it in 45min and was shooting again.
just my 2C
My understanding is that the drop in kit is not the same as sending your gun to them. If you send it to PRP, they polish and custom fit the parts for your gun to achieve the best trigger job possible. The people I have spoken to say that the drop in kit is nice but having PRP do it is significantly better. I also get to choose the exact trigger pull weight I want.

I am not a gunsmith and have no experience polishing or grinding trigger mechanisms nor would I try. I'm very happy to have PRP do it and have it done way better than I could do myself.
jackl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 50131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
Don't all XD(m)'s already come stock with a match barrel from Springfield Armory? Are Bar-Sto's that big of a step up from stock?
im not sure....part of the reason I made this topic
Sniper Brosef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
XDTalk Member

Member #: 63479
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagerHead View Post
It can also reduce your trigger pull. I polished every metal surface that moves against another metal surface to reduce friction. With about an hour's worth of work with 000 Steel Wool on several surfaces I made my trigger feel like "butta!"
I would love to see a video write up on this!!! Im just a little nervous about breaking my xdm 45 down that far. Would brillo pads work for this?

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

DPMS SASS
XdM 45
xd 45 service
1simpson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #15
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 50131
as far as the trigger kits go im curious....does everyone prefer PRP or Springer???
Sniper Brosef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:31 AM   #16
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 68700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Brosef View Post
im not sure....part of the reason I made this topic
The match grade barrel that comes stock with all XD(m)s is one of the main selling points. So, while I am sure Bar-Sto makes excellent barrels, the accuracy of the stock XD(m) barrels will likely exceed the skills of 99% of all amateur shooters. You' d probably get far more accuracy out of your $200+ dollars, and 3-4 months wait for a Bar-Sto, spending it on more ammo and range time.

Moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:25 AM   #17
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 64031
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1simpson1 View Post
I would love to see a video write up on this!!! Im just a little nervous about breaking my xdm 45 down that far. Would brillo pads work for this?
Have a look on Youtube, or Springer Presicon's site. They have several videos about the XD and XDM modifications.

It will be a start for you anyway. I used some metal polish on my mag release parts and trigger mechanisms to smooth my trigger. Worked good. I haven't polished the sear...yet.

"Breathe when you can. Shoot when you should"--Rob Leatham
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #18
LagerHead

Member #:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1simpson1 View Post
I will try and get one done.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 65794
I will be polishing all the internal contact parts also when I get my XDM 45 Compact.
FIRECONTROLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #20
XDTalk Member

Member #: 63479
Sounds great!! cant wait to see it. Polishing some mag release parts sounds like a great idea as well. I cant release the mag without altering my grip.

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

DPMS SASS
XdM 45
xd 45 service
1simpson1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

springfield, upgrades, xdm

Search tags for this page
apex trigger xdm
best springfield xdm upgrades
best upgrades for xdm
best way to polish a xdm barrel

best xdm upgrades

polish xdm sear
polishing a barrel crown
what can you do to improve the springfield xdm
xdm apex trigger upgrade
xdm barrel crown
xdm barrel crowning
xdm recommended upgrades
xdm sear mod
xdm upgrade parts

xdm upgrades

xds upgrades
Click on a term to search for related topics.