• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XDM 3.8 9mm Compact or non-compact? Any big difference?

This is a discussion on XDM 3.8 9mm Compact or non-compact? Any big difference? within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; XDM 3.8 9mm Compact or Non-Compact ??? I was wondering what would be a better choice and why. I was thinking that with the compact, ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) » XDM 3.8 9mm Compact or non-compact? Any big difference?

View Poll Results: XDM 3.8 9mm Compact or Non-Compact?
XDM 3.8 9mm Compact 38 82.61%
XDM 3.8 9mm Non-Compact 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 68673
Lightbulb XDM 3.8 9mm Compact or non-compact? Any big difference?

XDM 3.8 9mm Compact or Non-Compact??? I was wondering what would be a better choice and why. I was thinking that with the compact, I could just add the X-tension mag if I wanted it to be the taller size with more rounds. But with the non-compact, I have no choice to actually make it compact and easier to conceal... unless I wanted to hacksaw that thing, which is truly not an option I am willing to take. Does anyone know if this is the only big differnce between the two? I'm planning on making my purchase either tomorrow or over the weekend and any input would be great.

SIGp250 compact, .40 and .357 with SIGLITE sights
NaciaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 54625
No other difference, get the compact.I have the compact 9mm and a full 40,no difference.
locoyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 65523
I have both. I'm a big dude so the large-ish "compact" hides well on my hip. The full size is just that little bit too bulky for everyday carry. Accuracy is the same. In fact for some reason I think I actually shoot a little better with the 3.8".

XDm 4.5" & 3.8", Ruger LCR & 22/45, Kimber Ultra Carry II & Solo, Talo Colt M4A1, GSG 522
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 67073
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaciaN View Post
XDM 3.8 9mm Compact orNon-Compact??? I was wondering what would be a better choice and why. I was thinking that with the compact, I could just add the X-tension mag if I wanted it to be the taller size with more rounds. But with the non-compact, I have no choice to actually make it compact and easier to conceal... unless I wanted to hacksaw that thing, which is truly not an option I am willing to take. Does anyone know if this is the only big differnce between the two? I'm planning on making my purchase either tomorrow or over the weekend and any input would be great.
There's your better choice, no other difference except possibly the price but that all depends upon where you buy it. Compact gives you a choice of 2 guns to have, small grip for concealed carry or full grip for home defense or open carry
GrahamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 68269
Did you ask around at your local gunclubs/ranges to see if they rent out these particular two? Or do friends have them?

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players
-William Shakespeare
pidevildog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 55165
Sounds like you answered your own question.

Texas Concealed Handgun License
XDm 3.8 compact 9mm
XDm 3.8 compact .45
LRB/PSA 16" midlength AR15
LRB/Spikes 16" midlength dark earth AR15
Mossberg 500, 00buckshot
RedRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 68673
I would like to test out the gun prior to the purchase but unfortunately, the local gun ranges around do not have the XDM for rental. From the feedback that I've recieved and research I've done, I'm quite sure I'll be pleased with my XDM purchase. Thanks to all for the input and the poll votes!!
NaciaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
XDTalk Member

Member #: 68503
Smile

Depends on how you are going to use it.
drp1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 54551
All I have to say is Options.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Current resident of the Chicago State Prison system.
Milhouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 50499
With the XTension installed, you should not be able to discern a difference between the Compact and the 3.8.

My problem with the Compact, using the XTension, is purely one of my hand/anatomy and my grip technique. I favor the full "Roll-Over Wrist-Lock" described by D.R.Middlebrooks, and when I loose a long string, the leverage exerted by my support/reaction hand pinky against the magazine causes the XTension to really drive into the meat at the heel of my shooting/gun hand, which then temporarily "welds" the magazine in-place, causing it to not drop-free. This does not happen either with my full-sized XDm9 (which, of course, the standard 3.8 mimics, in terms of grip length) or when I use the truncated magazine with my Compact (even with a Pearce "pinky" Grip Extension, it still does not drop the magazine down far enough for me to get that pinky lock on it).

Remedy? I'm now using Middlebrooks' "Practical Reload," bumping the magazine release with my reaction/support-hand thumb tip and then proactively strip the XTension-fitted magazine from the magwell.

The trade-off in terms of speed of the off-hand accessing the spare magazine at my waistline is certainty that the expended magazine will be out of the magwell of the gun, as well as ingrains consistency in terms of malfunction remediation and reload-with-retention.

But remember, this is something that I've encountered because of my specific grip and my hand - YMMV.

----

My EDC is a 9mm 3.8 Compact, using the "flush" 13-round magazine with a Pearce Grip "pinky" Extension on the bottom. This allows me to carry and conceal the gun in the manner that I desire. Off-side is counterbalanced with a full-sized 19-round magazine, using the XTension.

I encountered this problem in a training class, with my range/class 3.8 Compact. I was able to also duplicate it with my carry 3.8 Compact (yes, I have two). Again, this is just me. It may not hold true for anyone else.
TSiWRX is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

xdm 3.8, xdm 9 compact

Search tags for this page
difference in 9mm and 9mmc
difference in xdm 3.8 and compact 3.8
what's the measurements of an 9mm xdm
xd(m) 3.8
xdm 3.8 45 non compact

xdm 3.8 compact

xdm 3.8 compare to full size

xdm 3.8 vs compact

xdm 9mm 3.8 vs 3.8 compact

xdm 9mm 3.8 vs xdm 9mm compact

xdm 9mm compact

xdm 9mm compact 16 round magazine
xdm compact or full size
xdm compact vs 3.8
xdm compact vs 3.8 full
xdm forums
Click on a term to search for related topics.