• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

My new roommate XDM9 5.25

This is a discussion on My new roommate XDM9 5.25 within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; Finally picked up my new XDM9 5.25. Shot 150 rounds of 124 grain FMJ cheapies from the range thru it right out of the box. ...

Old 11-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 64306
My new roommate XDM9 5.25

Finally picked up my new XDM9 5.25. Shot 150 rounds of 124 grain FMJ cheapies from the range thru it right out of the box.

My new roommate XDM9 5.25-_dsc5739.jpg

Have some pros and cons for anyone who cares

Pros:
  1. She is good looking, SS and Black bitone is sweet.
  2. I love all the accessories that came with it plus Springfield is going to send me 3 extra magazines and an extra magazine pouch.
  3. She shot right out of the box with no hiccups.
  4. She is extremely accurate. 1" group at 25ft all day.
  5. Did I mention she is good looking.
  6. Front sight is very easy to see.
  7. 19 rounds in each mag.
  8. Backstrap is interchangeable. I have small to medium size hands but found the large(#3) backstrap the most comfortable.
  9. Everything on the gun is so tight fitting, The tolerances are so small compared to other guns I have had.
  10. For the price, you cant beat it.
Cons:
  1. Too much pre-travel on the trigger for a competition model. I guess I was expecting too much since it is advertised as a match trigger. definitely need a trigger job if you want to compete with it. Ordered a PRP ultimate match trigger, will post differences once I install it.
  2. For some reason, the distance from the back of the gun to the trigger seems too short. I have small to medium size hands and I have some much trigger finger available that I can wrap my finger all the way up to the middle knuckle and pull. I have shot a Glock 34 and feel a better distance for my hand size.
  3. The natural sight alignment for my hold on this weapon is not working. I cant seem to get a good grip so when I raise the gun, the sight are pretty closely aligned. I can usually get this figured out after a few shots but no luck yet. This is crucial for quick target acquisition when you first draw or when returning to center from a recoil.
  4. It seems to me the front sight post is too thin.
  5. Can't cycle slide without holding grip safety in.
  6. Not a con but did I mention she is Good Looking.
  7. Speed loader device is kinda ridiculous and cumbersome at the least.
Overall the XDM 5.25 is a great gun and most of the cons is just personal issues that I have to work out and get used to except for the trigger deal. I guess after all the hype of a competition model I just had the bar raised too high.

I do not regret purchasing this gun and am looking forward to some great IDPA matches with it.

here are some pics
My new roommate XDM9 5.25-_dsc5740.jpg
BucNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 35632
Good shooting, and agree, Great Looking gun. Congrats
Old 11-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 53056
Congratulations and great shootin'.
Obscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 33462
Quote:
Originally Posted by br0ck View Post
Congrats on the new shooter!

Out of the 6 various handguns we have in the house... the 5.25 is my favorite to shoot! The Mrs loves it too! I agree 100% on the trigger... a trigger job is just a must with this gun which is why I swapped the stock trigger with a PRP drop-in kit with competition springs... makes a night and day world of difference. I also agree with the accuracy... deadly accurate! I also think investing in a new solid (stainless steel or tungston) guide rod is a good idea to help reduce recoil even more... I went with the stainless. You and I differ on the front sight though... I found it slightly too wide. While the fiber optic is great and made it easier to aquire than any of my other sights... it takes a little time for me to get it lined up just right because of how wide the front sight is. HOWEVER... that could be because of got poor(er) vision in my right (dominant) eye which makes that front sight blur even if I've got good focus on it because I don't wear my glasses to the range. That (for me) makes it way more difficult to see equal daylight on either side of the front sight when it blurs... so I'm thinking I've got two options... the cheaper of which would be to go with a slimmer .100 front sight and/or get me some prescription safety glasses. I'm gonna go with the slimmer front sight for now but will probably still be getting some prescription safety glasses with a different prescription for each eye (my left, non-dominant eye is near perfect vision). Poor right eye vision aside... I still find the front sight too thick and harder to properly align than my other handguns.

This is still my favorite range gun! I'm looking forward to running some USPSA comps with it next season!
I was wondering if you could tell me where you got your stainless steel guid rod for your 5.25 9mm. I just picked up a 5.25 today and would like to replaace the stock guide rod. I had done that bwith my previously owned 4.5 XDM and liked the improved recoil feel when shooting!

Thanks!

"To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists."
Barack Hussein Obama
photogbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 64909
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogbill View Post
I was wondering if you could tell me where you got your stainless steel guid rod for your 5.25 9mm. I just picked up a 5.25 today and would like to replaace the stock guide rod. I had done that bwith my previously owned 4.5 XDM and liked the improved recoil feel when shooting!

Thanks!
Springer Precision and Powder River Precision both sell stainless steel guide rods for the 5.25 9mm.

Steve
BCM Lower w/ Magpul CTR Stock/BCM BHF 16" Mid-length Upper w/ Centurion C4 9" Handguard
Rock River Arms National Match A4
Rock River Arms Lower w/A2 Stock/20" Criterion A2 Upper
entropy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
XDTalk 3K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy87 View Post
Springer Precision and Powder River Precision both sell stainless steel guide rods for the 5.25 9mm.

Steve
Thanks. I'll check them out!

"To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists."
Barack Hussein Obama
Old 12-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 27457
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogbill View Post
Thanks. I'll check them out!
Try out the Tungsten guide rods, they are excellent.
carstensxd45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstensxd45 View Post
Try out the Tungsten guide rods, they are excellent.
I seem to remember them costing a lot more when I got my ss rod for my 4.5 awhile back.

I know tungsten is a more valuable/higher-grade metal but what about them do you fell makes them better than ss?

Barack Hussein Obama
Old 12-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 66064
Congrats on new roomate.Wife and I both Love my 9mm 5.25. I do need the trigger upgrade though.
richeyo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 27457
There is a difference between the ss and tungsten, I have both,

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

1. Notification
2. Registration
3. Confiscation
4. Extermination

You don't get into a fight to lose. If you find yourself in a "fair" fight, you did something wrong!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
carstensxd45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

5.25, 9mm, competition, review, xdm

Search tags for this page
pros and cons of springfield xdm 9mm 5.25
remove fiber optic xdm9 5.25
shop that sell springfield xdm9 5.25
should i buy the xdm9 5.25
springfield xdm 9 5.25
springfield xdm 9 5.25 in stock
springfield xdm stainless trigger
springfield xdm9 5.25
xdm 9

xdm 9 5.25

xdm 9 5.25 for sale
xdm 9 5.25 review
xdm 9 tolerances

xdm9

xdm9 5.25
xdm9 pros an cons
Click on a term to search for related topics.