• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

4.5 vs 5.25 .45 XDm

This is a discussion on 4.5 vs 5.25 .45 XDm within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; I have browsed this forum for a while now, but have finally decided it was time to make an account. I am a long time ...

Old 09-14-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 63233
Question 4.5 vs 5.25 .45 XDm

I have browsed this forum for a while now, but have finally decided it was time to make an account.

I am a long time shooter and only own two handguns myself, a Walther P99AS Full size 9mm and a Walther PPS .40S&W. Yet I have shot plenty of other handguns: loads of .22s; S&W bodyguard and Sig P238 (.380); FN FiveSeven (5.7x28mm); Beretta 92FS, Browning Hi-power, XD sub-compact (9mm); S&W 360PD (.38 + .357); S&W M&P (.40); Kimber Custom Carry II (.45) and probably some I have forgotten about.

Now, as you may or may not have noticed, I own a 9mm, and a .40S&W, so logically I am now looking to get a .45ACP. My dad owns the XD sub-compact (9mm) listed above and I like the way it shoots. I am therefore looking at getting an XDm in .45! Just my luck they are giving away free magazines these next couple months, yea, more ammo to burn! Anyway, I had a couple of questions that I am hoping some of you would be able to help me out with.

I just experienced using night sights for the first time last weekend, and man was I impressed at how bright they were just after dusk. Therefore I was really hoping to get a pair on my new .45. I guess I should preface this with saying that my PPS is my carry weapon due to its concealability, and plan on using the .45 for a farm gun/target/plinking/dueling trees etc. If they were to come out with a compact .45 though, it would most likely top my list just for the potential of being able to carry it if I wanted to.

On to the questions. With the new 5.25" just coming out, is it worth the extra money? Please correct me if I am wrong, but these are the advantages and disadvantages that I see with this new version:
1. The lightening cut, whilst making the gun lighter would have potential for allowing debris to enter the slide of the gun.

2. The longer length will most likely add some accuracy to the shots, but also hinder holstering and maneuverability.

3. Finally, I am a fan of 3 dot sights, was really looking forward to getting some night sights on my next handgun. Yet I was informed that night sights are not offered at the time on the competition series. Now, don't get me wrong, I'd love having fully adjustable sights, but with the rear sight being, from the pictures I see, all black, that makes me a little distraught, are they quick to get used to? Are fully adjustable match sights easy to replace if I don't end up liking them?
Anyways, thanks for putting up with me and reading my post. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions are welcomed! Thanks a ton in advance.
Hegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-14-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegs View Post
I guess I should preface this with saying that my PPS is my carry weapon due to its concealability, and plan on using the .45 for a farm gun/target/plinking/dueling trees etc.
Based on your criteria, perhaps you should look at a 5" Tactical in 45ACP ... Bud's Gun Shop has one listed for a bit over $500 with free shipping, and you might be able to find one with night sights on it for the same or more/less, if you do some searching.
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 63100
If money isn't really an issue and you are looking at shooting it around the farm then I would go with the 5.25". Its more accurate and you can show it off to your friends.
Jokerpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 53827
The 5.25 XDm is designed to be used as a competition series weapon, for the money I would just get the 5 inch XD... having fired both XD's and XDm's I can tell you that the only major difference is appearance, the XDm's IMO are not more accurate.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZXD View Post
Based on your criteria, perhaps you should look at a 5" Tactical in 45ACP ... Bud's Gun Shop has one listed for a bit over $500 with free shipping, and you might be able to find one with night sights on it for the same or more/less, if you do some searching.
Thanks for the link. What does the 5" Tactical offer that the XDm does not? I'm not really familiar with that gun as I have mainly just researched the XDm. I was figuring that if I didnt care about the cost (realistically... aka 100$ more is w/e) then there would be no point in not getting the XDm. Am I missing something in that mindset?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerpro View Post
If money isn't really an issue and you are looking at shooting it around the farm then I would go with the 5.25". Its more accurate and you can show it off to your friends.
I think my friends would definitely be wanting to shoot my gun! That is for sure, and I am completely fine with that as well.... as long as they are paying for ammo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton1621 View Post
The 5.25 XDm is designed to be used as a competition series weapon, for the money I would just get the 5 inch XD... having fired both XD's and XDm's I can tell you that the only major difference is appearance, the XDm's IMO are not more accurate.
I do like the XDm bi-tone look. I'm not saying the XDs are ugly, my dad's black XD9sc is very nice, but if I can get the look I want with the features I want, why not!?

My only concern is the rear sight. I've always been a fan of 3 dot 6 o'clock hold. With the fully adjustable sights I can get that hold, but I'm unsure of what the rear sight's... for lack of a better term... sight picture is.

Do the sight systems on these competition models work well during the day and at dusk? Will I be able to upgrade the rear sight at some point if I deem necessary or is the adjustable rear sight permanently fixed on the slide?

All these questions may prove unnecessary if AZXD provides me with sufficient information to persuade to a regular XD
Old 09-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 54620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegs View Post

. If they were to come out with a compact .45 though, it would most likely top my list just for the potential of being able to carry it if I wanted to.

They do, I carry my xd45c every day

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. A river that is too pure contains no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime.
YoopermikeXDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoopermikeXDM View Post
They do, I carry my xd45c every day
Sorry, my initial statement meant 45c XDm, which was while I was still under the assumption (which I kind of still am) that I should get an XDm due to the fact that, correct me if I am wrong, you don't really lose anything upgrading to the "M"... except for maybe a 45c of course!
Old 09-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 54620
give it time, im sure that after a while there will be an xdm compact .45 The M has the whole "m" factor about it, lots more in detail at their website. but I see no significant difference between the 2. and maybe about $100

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. A river that is too pure contains no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime.
YoopermikeXDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 53827
Theres not much of a difference between the XD and the XDm... looks is the major difference... other than that the XDm does not require pulling the trigger for disassembly, the XDm holds a couple more rounds, the XDm barrels are supposed to have tighter tolerances (havent seen any proof of this making them more accurate though), and the XDm has changeable backstraps. Its the same weapon with a few more bells and whistles that sound good until you figure out they dont offer any advantage... other than a higher profit to the place you bought it from!

Please note that I am not biased because I actually bought an XDm... after several range trips and comparisons to a plain XD, the only thing I liked better about the XDm of mine was the looks.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:36 AM   #10
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton1621 View Post
Theres not much of a difference between the XD and the XDm... looks is the major difference... other than that the XDm does not require pulling the trigger for disassembly, the XDm holds a couple more rounds, the XDm barrels are supposed to have tighter tolerances (havent seen any proof of this making them more accurate though), and the XDm has changeable backstraps. Its the same weapon with a few more bells and whistles that sound good until you figure out they dont offer any advantage... other than a higher profit to the place you bought it from!

Please note that I am not biased because I actually bought an XDm... after several range trips and comparisons to a plain XD, the only thing I liked better about the XDm of mine was the looks.
I'm still waiting for that test to be published.
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

competition series, night sights, potential buyer, springfield promotion, xdm .45

Search tags for this page
accuracy xdm 4.5 25 yards
better choice 5.25 xdm or 4.5 xdm
xd talk: xdm 45 4.5 in vs xdm 45 5.2 in
xdm .45 5.25
xdm 4.5 versus 5.25

xdm 4.5 vs 5.25

xdm 4.5 vs xdm 5.25

xdm 45 4.5

xdm 45 4.5 vs 5.25

xdm 45 5.25
xdm 45 5.25 vs 4.5
xdm 45 competiton vs xdm
xdm 45 vs xdm 5.25
xdm 5.25 45
xdm vs xdm competition
Click on a term to search for related topics.