• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

4.5 vs 5.25 .45 XDm

This is a discussion on 4.5 vs 5.25 .45 XDm within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by gdgrant Have you ever shot this pistol? The bottom line is - NO. Why do you continue to post negative comments before ...

Old 09-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #21
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 38362
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgrant View Post
Have you ever shot this pistol? The bottom line is - NO. Why do you continue to post negative comments before actually trying this pistol out?

I've not shot it either, but I wouldn't assume that it is more accurate. It may be easier to shoot accurately -- but that's a whole different critter than the actual gun being more accurate. You do see the difference, right?

Clamping the 3, 3.8, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0 and 5.25 down tight and shooting them from a solid rest will probably show them to be very similar in intrinsic accuracy. Probably statistically indistinguishable if ultraprecision ammo manufactured and assembled with components matched to some extremely small variance like 0.01g is used and the gun is cleaned between each shot identically. The least accurate component is the shooter, then the ammo, then the condition of the gun (dirty, clean, hot, cold, etc) with the actual mechanical lock up repeatability being a fairly small contributor. (I would assume as I don't have facilities / resources to perform the experiments. But I do have vast experience doing that sort of thing in industry.)

Tactical black cat - sleeps in doorways

A right unused become a privilege for the ruling class.

john_bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #22
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 62166
I own just a plain old xd45 4" and I love it, to change the sights i had to send it back to Springfield to get the front sight out, apparently they get set the sights in by a press or something but i got my night sights and never been happier
mficare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:00 AM   #23
XDTalk Member

Member #: 63233
Quote:
Originally Posted by mficare View Post
I own just a plain old xd45 4" and I love it, to change the sights i had to send it back to Springfield to get the front sight out, apparently they get set the sights in by a press or something but i got my night sights and never been happier
Ya that is something that I am afraid of, which is why the 5.25" front sight looks nice to me. Also I think the adjustable rear may be easier to remove than a factory press fitted dove tail, so there may be hope in that regard.

Last edited by Hegs; 09-17-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Hegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:30 AM   #24
XDTalk Member

Member #: 60159
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_bud View Post
I've not shot it either, but I wouldn't assume that it is more accurate. It may be easier to shoot accurately -- but that's a whole different critter than the actual gun being more accurate. You do see the difference, right?

Clamping the 3, 3.8, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0 and 5.25 down tight and shooting them from a solid rest will probably show them to be very similar in intrinsic accuracy. Probably statistically indistinguishable if ultraprecision ammo manufactured and assembled with components matched to some extremely small variance like 0.01g is used and the gun is cleaned between each shot identically. The least accurate component is the shooter, then the ammo, then the condition of the gun (dirty, clean, hot, cold, etc) with the actual mechanical lock up repeatability being a fairly small contributor. (I would assume as I don't have facilities / resources to perform the experiments. But I do have vast experience doing that sort of thing in industry.)
I agree with your first statement about accuracy. Different people like different sights - I happen to like the 5.25 sights a lot.

I would be surprised if the 3 & 3.8 are as accurate at 25 yards off a rest as the 5.25 - but I've been wrong before . I've never said that the other XDMs weren't accurate - because I've never shot them. What I do know is - the 9mm 5.25 is very accurate at 25 yards hand held - with the 6 different types of 9mm ammo I've tried. Also from experience with my other pistols - certain types of ammo are more accurate in different guns than others.

Performing the rested shooting at 25 yards using different ammo types - for all of the XDMs - would make an interesting read.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #25
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
Quote:
Have you ever shot this pistol? The bottom line is - NO. Why do you continue to post negative comments before actually trying this pistol out?
What's negative about questioning the accuracy level as it relates to other XD's ?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_bud View Post

I agree with your first statement about accuracy. Different people like different sights - I happen to like the 5.25 sights a lot.

I would be surprised if the 3 & 3.8 are as accurate at 25 yards off a rest as the 5.25 - but I've been wrong before . I've never said that the other XDMs weren't accurate - because I've never shot them. What I do know is - the 9mm 5.25 is very accurate at 25 yards hand held - with the 6 different types of 9mm ammo I've tried. Also from experience with my other pistols - certain types of ammo are more accurate in different guns than others.

Performing the rested shooting at 25 yards using different ammo types - for all of the XDMs - would make an interesting read.
I guess you now realize there is nothing negative about my question/statement
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #26
XDTalk Member

Member #: 60159
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZXD View Post
What's negative about questioning the accuracy level as it relates to other XD's ?

I guess you now realize there is nothing negative about my question/statement
No - I disagree - I am referring to your constant sarcasm - within other posts - which is based on no first hand knowledge of this gun.

Find someone that has a 5.25 at your range - or rent one - and then if you don't like the 5.25 you have something to base your comments on - instead of waiting for someone else to answer your speculations.

If you come out to the Northern Virginia area I'd be happy to let you try my 5.25.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #27
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 42990
Quote:
No - I disagree - I am referring to your constant sarcasm - within other posts - which is based on no first hand knowledge of this gun.

Find someone that has a 5.25 at your range - or rent one - and then if you don't like the 5.25 you have something to base your comments on - instead of waiting for someone else to answer your speculations.

If you come out to the Northern Virginia area I'd be happy to let you try my 5.25.
I have shot a 5.25...my buddy traded his 4.5 in one one right when they were first made available...

To be honest with you, I don't get the hoopla.

It's a fine pistol but no more fine than my 4.5 XDm 9mm. The only thing that excited me was the F/O sights...something that I' having installed on mine even as I type this (as well as some other goodies).

The slide cut does make for a "4.5" experience when shooting, the weight and balance are nearly the same...as is the accuracy I got while spending time with it (funny enough, the same accuracy I got with my other friends 3.8 9mm XDm).

Given the choice...I'd probably pass on the 5.25. I don't see the gain from the longer barrel...or the price. Stock for stock...there's little difference other than those sights and that's something you can always add down the road IF you find you can't live without them.

On a side note, I would say the difference between the 3.8 (full length grip) and the 4.5 XDm is rather noticeable...
Old 09-17-2011, 11:31 PM   #28
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
Quote:

Better get used to it ... Most of what I write on any subject has at least a hint of sarcasm

And IMHO, a question that verifes the accuracy claims, or disproves them ... Is not sarcasm, it's a simple statement that until a scientific test is done, no one will know if the accuracy claims are real, or just people shooting a gun better, because of a longer sight radius, and a more eye friendly front sight.
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #29
XDTalk Member

Member #: 63233
Exclamation

All things considered, I have still yet to make up my mind, but here are my two options at this time:

1. My dealer has a used but excelent condition XDm .45 4.5" with installed night sights for 675$.
I would not get the gear up mags promo with this gun, and I believe it comes with 2.

2. My dealer has quoted me at 750$ for a brand new 5.25" .45. This is assuming I tell him that I will buy it without previously seeing it and he orders it from his supplier.
I would get a total of 6 magazines with this offer, but not sure what I would even all of them...

Both would be bitone, and I know some people dont like that but that is my preference at this time.

I am pretty heavily weighing the options and considering offering him something lower on the used 4.5"

Does anyone else have any thoughts on which would be the better deal?

What seems to have come from this thread is that there is not much difference shooting wise between the 4.5 and the 5.25, and I'd assume holsters are easier to get for the 4.5 at this time.
Hegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:46 AM   #30
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 56303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegs View Post
All things considered, I have still yet to make up my mind, but here are my two options at this time:

1. My dealer has a used but excelent condition XDm .45 4.5" with installed night sights for 675$.
I would not get the gear up mags promo with this gun, and I believe it comes with 2.

2. My dealer has quoted me at 750$ for a brand new 5.25" .45. This is assuming I tell him that I will buy it without previously seeing it and he orders it from his supplier.
I would get a total of 6 magazines with this offer, but not sure what I would even all of them...

Both would be bitone, and I know some people dont like that but that is my preference at this time.

I am pretty heavily weighing the options and considering offering him something lower on the used 4.5"

Does anyone else have any thoughts on which would be the better deal?

What seems to have come from this thread is that there is not much difference shooting wise between the 4.5 and the 5.25, and I'd assume holsters are easier to get for the 4.5 at this time.
I have a stock 4.5 XDM 45 and get great groups at 25 yards with it.
I only had a chance to try it at 50 yards one time on a HOT day getting attacked by bugs and shooting on a hill.
I put 16 out of 20 in the black NRA Bullseye (target) or about the same size of the A zone IDPA target. I know I could have put all 20 or more in better weather on a flat surface.
The 4.5 is a very accurate pistol that I also use for carry some times.
Bandog is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

competition series, night sights, potential buyer, springfield promotion, xdm .45

Search tags for this page
accuracy xdm 4.5 25 yards
better choice 5.25 xdm or 4.5 xdm
xdm .45 5.25
xdm 4.5 versus 5.25

xdm 4.5 vs 5.25

xdm 4.5 vs xdm 5.25

xdm 45 4.5

xdm 45 4.5 vs 5.25

xdm 45 5.25
xdm 45 5.25 fourms
xdm 45 5.25 vs 4.5
xdm 45 competition model vs xdm 45
xdm 45 vs xdm 5.25
xdm 5.25 45
xdm vs xdm competition
Click on a term to search for related topics.