• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XD(m) 9mm - compact vs. full-size

This is a discussion on XD(m) 9mm - compact vs. full-size within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; I'm trying to decide between the compact and full-size 9mm - primarily for range use. I've seen some great range reports on both here, but ...

Old 05-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 59017
XD(m) 9mm - compact vs. full-size

I'm trying to decide between the compact and full-size 9mm - primarily for range use. I've seen some great range reports on both here, but want to hear if anyone has noticed a meaningful difference in accuracy between the two.

Thanks.
seattlemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 52807
If you are not concerned about concealed carry then go with the big guy. Full size guns are more fun at the range.

USMC 1958-62
NRA Endowment member
MCA life member
USCCA member(not any more)
Guns? I have a few of everything. Have an affinity for the 45 Auto.

If you force me to do violence, I shall be so savage, and so cruel, and hurt you so badly, the thought of revenge shall never cross your mind.

Machiavelli
gzigoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 35632
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzigoris View Post
If you are not concerned about concealed carry then go with the big guy. Full size guns are more fun at the range.
^^^ Agree ^^^

Owning both I still prefer the 4.5" when going plinking at the range, both guns are more accurate than myself. Some people have complained about the Compact grip pinching them when they use the 19 rounder, at the seam. I have not had that problem, but it might be something to consider. Next I want the 5" Tactical model.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 43722
In general (everything else being equal) a heavier pistol will have less felt recoil and should be faster to re-acquire target. Proper grip size also help control the pistol better. Longer sight (front to rear) usually contribute to better accuracy as well.

Hope these help you make your decision.
Poink88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 21851
I can conceal a xd9 service, and now a xdm 4.5 just fine. And I am about 6 foot and 200 pounds. I like shooting a full size weapon better, and thus that is what I shoot and conceal, or open carry if the situation allows for it.
rocknsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:40 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 58798
+1 for the 4.5
SebZE835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:14 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55116
The 4.5 would be the better choice if it's strictly a range toy. I love mine and it serves me well every week at my local league matches.
mixednuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:03 AM   #8
XDTalk Member

Member #: 52876
I have both but I usually use the XDM 3.8 or the 4.5 when at the range or shooting matches. The longer length is suppose to improve accuracy.
I would think the accuracy would be more determined on your skill level as a shooter. I watch guys shoot with expense thousand dollar pistols with all goodies at range but can't hit a target. I shot matches with better results with my XDSC9mm then some of them and I've been shooting less than 6 months.
If available see if you can rent both at a range and test them out.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 50499
Like the others said, the full-sized pistol will hold certain undeniable advantages.

But if you're looking for something that holds the size advantage, in terms of concealed carry, then the 3.8 Compact should definitely be on your shopping list, as it really doesn't give up all that much, but trades increased concealment capabilities, especially due to the shortened grip frame.

I'm a beginner, and distances greater than 15 yards - even more so when I'm on the move - is where I really see a difference between my full-sized and my 3.8 Compact (both 9mm). And certainly, while the 3.8 Compact will punch holes in paper or knock down steel all-day just as well as its full-sized counterpart, the latter is undeniably more of a pleasure to shoot than its smaller sister. Nevertheless, that's not to say that the 3.8 is anything but fun, either: I've said that I regard my range-time with my Kahr PM9 as "work," with that as a reference, shooting my 3.8 Compact is nothing short of fun.
TSiWRX is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

xdm 3.8, xdm 4.5, xdm 9mm

Search tags for this page
9mm compact
compact 9mm vs full size
compact vs full size 9mm
compact vs regular guns
compact vs standard handgun
full size 9mm or compact
full size pistols vs compact

full size vs compact 9mm

m p 9mm full size vs compact
pistols compact versus full size
standard size vs compact size pistol
which is more accurate? full size or compact pistol?
Click on a term to search for related topics.