• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XDm 3.8 Compact backstraps

This is a discussion on XDm 3.8 Compact backstraps within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by BAJ IMO, you want to get these accessories. The kit comes with one 13 and one 19. 1. An extra 19 or ...

Old 04-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55032
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ View Post
IMO, you want to get these accessories. The kit comes with one 13 and one 19.

1. An extra 19 or two
2. An extra two or three 13 round mags
3. Two or three Pearce grip extensions
4. The Fobus Holster replacement (SP-11B) or better.
http://www.fobusholster.com/products...ER-5831-0.html
(Reason is it is a much more positive retention than the one in the kit which seems to be a low end version and I couldn't really tighten it down enough to fit right with good retention.)
5. Shoot-N-C green circle targets (greatly improves accuracy feedback)
6. Take a look at a model that has the factory installed tritium night sights. Had I known about them, I think I'd have waited to find one. The default is just painted white).

Just my 2 cents.

HTH

PS - when you order the extra 19 round mag, be sure you pick 1, 2 or 3 model of the extension so it will fit with the backstrap module you choose. 1 is with the small, the 2 med, the three large.
Just adding my .02 to the list above:

I wouldnt go with the Fobus just because its pretty cheap and can break easily.

Comp-Tac : Top-Quality Firearm Accessories may be a better choice.

I would mainly get 19 round mags and maybe 1 more 13 round in case you main one fails.

The 19 round one, I never use the sleeves with. More of a hassel and I dont carry it with a 19 round mag.

See my setup at my links below..

Great choice of gun. I prefer the smallest backstraps on mine.

Twin Springfield XD(m) 4.5 9MM
- Veridian Green Laser on one
Taurus PT1911AR .45
Taurus TCP
Ruger LCR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

psychocabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #12
BAJ
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55984
Thanks for the link, I'll look at both pages.

My theory is this:

One mag in gun, three on your belt a double and a single next to the gun. If the carry mag jams, you drop it, rack and put in a new mag. This leaves you with one more mag on your belt on the far side and one next to the gun (for one-handed reloading).

You finish the engagement with the new mag, but are empty. You reload so you're not standing there with an empty gun. That leaves you one mag left, plus one in the gun. If you carry 1-2 more in your pocket, you can restock your belt. So total carry of about 4-5 mags (in addition to the one in the gun) and one at home with snap caps. Never plan on fighting with mags in your pocket. They are only for restocking your belt.

Thus I would aim to eventually acquire about five to seven 13 round mags. For range use and maybe a high cap fighting backup, you should have an additional one-two 19 round mags. Plus, they're just too cool, lol.

$.02
BAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55032
Quote:

My theory is this:

One mag in gun, three on your belt a double and a single next to the gun. If the carry mag jams, you drop it, rack and put in a new mag. This leaves you with one more mag on your belt on the far side and one next to the gun (for one-handed reloading).

You finish the engagement with the new mag, but are empty. You reload so you're not standing there with an empty gun. That leaves you one mag left, plus one in the gun. If you carry 1-2 more in your pocket, you can restock your belt. So total carry of about 4-5 mags (in addition to the one in the gun) and one at home with snap caps. Never plan on fighting with mags in your pocket. They are only for restocking your belt.

Thus I would aim to eventually acquire about five to seven 13 round mags. For range use and maybe a high cap fighting backup, you should have an additional one-two 19 round mags. Plus, they're just too cool, lol.

$.02

When is this movie coming to a theater near me??!

In reality, I dont forsee having to go through 50+ rounds to end an encounter.

As I tell people, if the guns and skill I have on me at the time are not enough, I was not meant to make it past that day.

Good luck with all that though.

Twin Springfield XD(m) 4.5 9MM
- Veridian Green Laser on one
Taurus PT1911AR .45
Taurus TCP
Ruger LCR

psychocabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #14
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 53114
Quote:

My theory is this:

$.02
Do you realize the odds of any altercation you have will be over before you emty one mag? The chances of needing a second mag are slim, and needing a third is pretty much zero.
When I start to carry I don't think I will carry an extra mag. I might carry one extra, but I am having a tough time deciding if it is nessasary. Carry two or more extra mags? Not a chance. I would carry a spare mag in my vehicle.

On the other hand, if you live in East LA, Queens, some areas of Detroit or Chicago, I probably would pack heavy!
Greg O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #15
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 50499
Chippy - welcome to XTTalk, as well as "the gun world."

The standard XDm-Gear gives you a great starting point (and achysklic is right-on with his description of the included back-straps and "X-Tensions") - you really don't need much more, to start with.

If you're going to be taking your range time seriously, do start out with a couple more magazines. Perhaps another two full-sized magazines: in which case, don't worry - although there will be a visually noticeable gap between your chosen best-fit backstrap and the other two sizes of the X-Tension that came with your XDm-Gear, the difference should not be noticeable in terms of your shooting.

Given that magazine failures are a very common cause of problems with semi-automatic handguns, having spares on-hand will also make your range trips more pleasurable in that you won't be as worried. Furthermore, having the spare magazines will also allow you to practice malfunction drills and reloads in a more realistic manner - whether you're at-home or on the range.

Are more of the smaller-capacity "flush" magazines necessary? Again, it'll be nice to have at the range, and will also be able to serve as backups (particularly if you intend to truly everyday carry the pistol: having a backup or two, just in case you notice that one or the other is misbehaving while you're at the range, can well put your mind at-ease) - but truthfully, unless you plan to carry this pistol, I'd say to go with the magazines, first.

I'd definitely spend some money on a good cleaning rod, a brass jag, some type of bore brush device, and good cleaning solvents. You won't be spending a fortune here, but it's an investment, nevertheless.

As a beginner, I would not really worry about the holster/mag-holder side of the equation, yet. Even if you were to take a concealed-carry or other basic pistolcraft class, while it's true that the XDm-Gear stuff leaves much to be desired for, they will definitely get you through, and to be absolutely honest, as a holster/gear-whore myself , I heartily recommend that you take more time to research these very critical purchases (especially if you plan on daily-carry of your pistol or to seek professional training). Given the dangers inherent with drawing from a holster as well as holstering, there are many ranges on which such activities are forbidden, and what's more, even exclusive of concerns for others, this activity can present as a serious risk to you, so it's best to just start slow, here.
TSiWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #16
XDTalk Member

Member #: 56747
hey what can i use to knock the pin out to change the backstrap? i tried an allen wrench but couldn't get it to budge
liquid silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #17
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 52656
3/16" punch and a rubber mallet works. Manual has the info too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #18
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Artisan View Post
3/16" punch and a rubber mallet works. Manual has the info too.

yes i know it's a 3/16, but i got a 3/16 allen wrench and i can't get it to budge, so i was asking if i needed a better punch and where i could get one lol
Old 04-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #19
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 52656
Got mine at Home Depot, just make sure you get the right kind, it will not taper and be the same 3/16" the last 2-3 inches or so.

Thunder71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #20
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Artisan View Post
Got mine at Home Depot, just make sure you get the right kind, it will not taper and be the same 3/16" the last 2-3 inches or so.

ok cool i'll look tomorrow

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

backstrap, compact

Search tags for this page

backstrap

change xdm bacstrap

difference between xd m backstraps

how to change backstrap on xdm 40

springfield magazine backstap
springfield xdm backstrap number does it come with
springfield xdm compact backstrap difference how to tell
xdm 3.8 9mm which backstrap

xdm 40 backstrap sizes

xdm backstrap

xdm backstrap for sale

xdm backstrap mag

xdm backstrap punch size

xdm backstrap sizes

xdm compact backstrap

xdm magazine backstrap

Click on a term to search for related topics.