• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Bore Axis and XD's, something to think about.

This is a discussion on Bore Axis and XD's, something to think about. within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by biker21sp In theory , Yes in theory and all other things being equal the higher bore axis would have more muzzle flip. ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) » Bore Axis and XD's, something to think about.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #31
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker21sp View Post

In theory,
Yes in theory and all other things being equal the higher bore axis would have more muzzle flip. All other things being equal in both guns. The thing is they aren't equal. Grip, grip angle, slide weight, total pistol weight, are also factors that will change recoil.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #32
XDTalk Member

Member #: 46193
I just got y XDM45 back from SA for the high ride grip reduction modification. There is a sybjectively improvement in muzzle flip, which is where a high bore axis manifests.
I personally believe that there is something to it. The problem is that I cannot quantify it. I put my 1911 and my XDM next to each other, lining up their bore heights and seeing how the grips were diffirent, and the most visible difference was actually in how high the trigger was on the 1911 as compared to the XDM. But why would that affect muzzle flip?
I am of the opinion that bore axis exacerbates muzzle flip. While I wish that the XDM had a lower bore, it is still a wonderfully reliable and accurate handgun.
If you want a low bore axis get one of these:
KRISS Vector in pistol configuration | The Firearm Blog
While I do not disparage anyone who will shun the XD/XDM for a pistol with a lower bore axis, I think that it can largely be overcome with training, and once you are addressing a training issue with an equipment solution, you are starting to go the wrong way.

Owner of many 1911s and one XD(M)45
doc Russia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #33
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 46422
The target below was produced firing my XDm 4.5 "rapid fire" (10 shots in less than 10 seconds) from 25 feet. The gun had about 30 rounds through it at this point. Those 30 rounds were the first 30 I had ever fired through this gun ... or any XD. My results are better now with close to 1000 rounds through the gun, but I don't see a problem with a pattern like this at more than 7 yards - new gun or not.

I recently purchased a Glock 19 and produced similar results in a similar scenario.

Mudinyeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #34
XDTalk Member

Member #: 3938
I find that the trigger on my XDm-9 (3.8")I wish were higher. When I put the web of my hand snug against the top of the grip, I can almost put my middle finger on the trigger as easy as my index finger.

I do notice a bit of jump when trying to double-tap, so I have to consiously hold the muzzle down for the followup shot. But I have bought a grip excerciser and can tell that with a stronger grip, the flip is less. So I would suggest that everyone work on their grip strength.
2upFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #35
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 46952
Each post is right in their own view point. It boils down to the brands ergonomics of the grip and each persons hand. No one has the exact same hand as the other guy. So it's like I mentioned earlier, how the gun mates to your hand. Some people have long fingers or short fingers. Some have big hands and some small etc. Just because one brand isn't as good for a person as another, each brand is good but just how it sits in your grip. The xd40 I have to always re-grip after each shot, the fnx I didn't need to. For some it does t matter since they are adapt to most. For some they just need to practice but end up getting used to it's own character that they don't do so well with a different one. For me the 1911 is a sure fit and the fnx fits within that range. It's a marriage between hand and gun.
titaniumskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #36
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 46251
It's not the bore axis but the height and angle of the barrel lug that affects the recoil transferred to the frame of the pistol--its overall shape and size. Everything else is reciprocating mass that goes straight rearwards in the opposite direction of the bullet, which doesn't affect muzzle flip. Well, it does, but only through the conservation of angular momentum, which isn't much in a handgun and won't be noticeable even with the barrel assembly sitting a 1/4" higher.

In the immortal words of high school boys to high school girls around the world, "You're holding it wrong."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Everything dies. Die less.
Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #37
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 48684
Oh god stop the bore axis talk! Just buy what you like, and feels good for you as an individual. If your groups are a foot wide, then practice!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #38
XDTalk 100 Member

That was all supposed to be in caps. It changed by itself. Weird.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #39
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsh341 View Post
Rather than rely on just shooting stationary targets, I suggest shooting IDPA sometime. It is very enlightening.
Fo sho! No argument there. And moving targets forget about it. Rapid fire goes right out the window on a fast moving target. For example, a bad guy.
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #40
XDTalk 100 Member

^ They need to add a "Like" button like FB has for comments like AKC's.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

Search tags for this page
bore axis
bore axis difference xdm glock
bore axis xdm
cz bore axis
fnx or xd stronger
high ride grip modification lower bore axis
lower bore axis xdm or m&p
m&p bore axis
springfield xdm bore axis
xd and xdm bore axis the same
xd bore axis
xd high bore axis

xdm bore axis

xdm high bore axis

xdm high bore axis vs m&p
xdm vs m&p bore axis
Click on a term to search for related topics.