• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XDM manual safety?

This is a discussion on XDM manual safety? within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; I've been looking at a few different guns for my new CCW. I like the XDM 3.8 in .40; S&W M&P .40 w/ thumb safety; ...

Old 09-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 41444
XDM manual safety?

I've been looking at a few different guns for my new CCW. I like the XDM 3.8 in .40; S&W M&P .40 w/ thumb safety; and the HK USP .40 V1. What's turning me off of the XDM is the lack of thumb safety. And if the XDM .45 would come with a thumb safety I would leap on it. I don't like the looks of the XD .45, and I've concealed the full size HK USP .45 before, so ultimately size is not necessarily an issue.

I know a lot of you will probably harangue me for wanting a thumb safety. These are my reasons: my gun will be both a house gun, and a CCW; and I have children who have friends. I keep my gun with me most of the time, but I will leave my gun on the table or nightstand, coffee table, etc. I won't be far from it, but on the off chance that a neighbor kid grabs the gun, finger on trigger, I don't want it to go boom. I will NOT put a lock on a gun that is meant for defense. I don't like long trigger pulls. I've had a defensive situation that could have gone bad because I didn't have a round in the chamber because it was a Glock. Thankfully I didn't have to shoot. One of the attractive things about the XDM is the grip safety. The other attractive thing about the XDM is the gun itself. I love this gun. It's cheap, mags are cheap and it's high capacity.

My kids are trained, friends are not- that I know of.

I have quite a bit of experience carrying a weapon not only for duty, which includes not only training but actual defensive situations. I am fond of the HK line up, but they are expensive and the mags are outrageously expensive, for what you are getting.

Anybody know if Springfield plans on a manual safety, or are there aftermarket manual safeties for this gun? Thanks for any and all replies.

--General Patton
Claemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 48119
CLaemre
Quote:
but I will leave my gun on the table or nightstand, coffee table, etc. I won't be far from it, but on the off chance that a neighbor kid grabs the gun, finger on trigger,
Not to sound harsh but, Don't leave your gun on the table , nightstand,etc. even around kids that are trained not to touch them. Shoot i know a few adults that loaded guns should not be left around.
Manual safetys can be switched off by little hands while they are playing, you have to store your gun correctly when you do not have control of it.

I invested in 3 handgun safe that are in differant location around my house so the firearm is availible close by and no one but me or my wife can access our SD weapons. WE have 2 children and they have firends over all the time and all thier parents no we own firearms and they also trust us because of our precautions with them.

We defend our President with guns We defend our Congressmen with guns We defend our Governors with guns We defend banks with guns We defend our courts with guns,We defend our children with a sign that says THIS IS A GUN FREE ZONE and then call someone with a gun if there's an emergency!
stuz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 48783
I prefer the XD because it doesn't have a safety. Less to think about if needed. That being said, I don''t know of a model other than the service and tactical model which you can purchase with a safety.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuz92 View Post
CLaemre

Not to sound harsh but, Don't leave your gun on the table , nightstand,etc. even around kids that are trained not to touch them. Shoot i know a few adults that loaded guns should not be left around.
Manual safetys can be switched off by little hands while they are playing, you have to store your gun correctly when you do not have control of it.

I invested in 3 handgun safe that are in differant location around my house so the firearm is availible close by and no one but me or my wife can access our SD weapons. WE have 2 children and they have firends over all the time and all thier parents no we own firearms and they also trust us because of our precautions with them.
I know of a few adults that you shouldn't leave loaded firearms around too. But my kids are not them. They've been raised around all kinds of firearms and allowed to handle and fire them in my presence. I don't walk off and leave the guns laying around. And have always been within eyesight of them. However, if a friend (adult or child) happens to grab one, a manual safety gives me time to get to them. The first thing a child or adult that isn't familiar with guns will do is put their finger on the trigger when they pick the weapon up.

I don't believe in safes or locks for defensive weapons. I guarantee there is not enough time to open a safe and react to the threat. Unless you train specifically for it, there is rarely time to chamber a round.

When I carried a weapon professionally, I carried the HK USP .45F. When I flicked the safety off, there was no thinking about it involved. I guess if you have a pistol with a manual safety and you never practice with it, then I can see you having to think about it.

So apparently an aftermarket safety is not available?

--General Patton

Last edited by Claemore; 09-17-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something...
Old 09-17-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 48641
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuz92 View Post
CLaemre

Do you typically leave the safes out in the open? or are all 3 hidden?
DjHardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41241
Well now that you've asked the usual thumb safety question go ahead and get your "1 in the chamber" question out of the way.
UofHdevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:10 AM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofHdevildog View Post
Well now that you've asked the usual thumb safety question go ahead and get your "1 in the chamber" question out of the way.
I don't get it. I've done a search for manual safeties on this board and haven't found what I'm looking for. I wasn't looking for arguments or anything like that. Besides, the threads I saw were a while ago, before the .45 XDM. Didn't know if anything had changed.

Most of the replies on the threads I saw were diatribes against the manual safety, and no real answers. I was hoping to actually get an answer. What is this "1 in the chamber" question you speak of?

--General Patton
Old 09-18-2010, 01:47 AM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 27336
You will have to order an XD-45. Can't speak for the company, but their general exclusion of a separate thumb-safety option on most of the pistol model line should indicate their current production stance. The XD-45 with thumb safety was produced as prerequisite for one contract bid. These are still produced in very limited numbers, hence the probability of not being stocked by most dealers. Not much difference between the XD and XDm in 45acp unless you need to fire SWC on a regular basis. The case retention dimple 'improvement' in the slide can be easily cut and the slight cup for the recoil assembly lug 'improvement' can be added. Only the bump on the slide to help prevent retracted cases from hitting the top round presents any difficulty. And for most XD-45's this was not a major issue.
As SA does not sell any of the thumb safety related parts, not much chance of modifying an existing pistol at a reasonable cost. Lack of demand has prevented any aftermarket effort of which I am currently aware.

For CCW the XD45 Service (4") with thumb safety should be a considered option. (maybe look/handle/fire again, but ergonomics of comfort for you should be your criteria)
Trijicon / PRP / PistolGear barrels / SuperTuck
NRA Endowment Member SAF Member
ThumperIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claemore View Post
I don't get it. I've done a search for manual safeties on this board and haven't found what I'm looking for. I wasn't looking for arguments or anything like that. Besides, the threads I saw were a while ago, before the .45 XDM. Didn't know if anything had changed.

Most of the replies on the threads I saw were diatribes against the manual safety, and no real answers. I was hoping to actually get an answer. What is this "1 in the chamber" question you speak of?
I knew you weren't trying to start an argument. It was a humorous jab.

The round in chamber question comes up every week just about from some newb who doesn't take the time to search for the other dozens of topics on it. It gets really annoying. Personally I don't see why so many post on them just to say the same thing they said on the one before it.
UofHdevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperIII View Post
You will have to order an XD-45. Can't speak for the company, but their general exclusion of a separate thumb-safety option on most of the pistol model line should indicate their current production stance. The XD-45 with thumb safety was produced as prerequisite for one contract bid. These are still produced in very limited numbers, hence the probability of not being stocked by most dealers. Not much difference between the XD and XDm in 45acp unless you need to fire SWC on a regular basis. The case retention dimple 'improvement' in the slide can be easily cut and the slight cup for the recoil assembly lug 'improvement' can be added. Only the bump on the slide to help prevent retracted cases from hitting the top round presents any difficulty. And for most XD-45's this was not a major issue.
As SA does not sell any of the thumb safety related parts, not much chance of modifying an existing pistol at a reasonable cost. Lack of demand has prevented any aftermarket effort of which I am currently aware.

For CCW the XD45 Service (4") with thumb safety should be a considered option. (maybe look/handle/fire again, but ergonomics of comfort for you should be your criteria)
Thank you I appreciate the detailed response. I'll handle one. They are not terrible looking, just liked the XDM's looks better.

--General Patton

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

Search tags for this page
can you get a manual safety on a xdm
do the xdm45 have a side.safety
safety on springfield xdm
springfield xd manual safety
springfield xdm external safety

springfield xdm manual safety

springfield xdm safety

where is the safety switch on a spring field xdm gun
where is the saftey on a spring field xdm
xdm 45 thumb safety
xdm manual safety
xds manual safety
Click on a term to search for related topics.