• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Help, Shooting Low and to the left...

This is a discussion on Help, Shooting Low and to the left... within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; Well went to the range today and I seem to be very consistent in aiming for the bulls eye and hitting low and left. I've ...

Old 09-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 31612
Exclamation Help, Shooting Low and to the left...

Well went to the range today and I seem to be very consistent in aiming for the bulls eye and hitting low and left. I've got one of those Pistol Correction Charts and it says that I'm tightening my fingers and/or jerking or slapping the trigger. Okay what does it mean, tightening my fingers or jerking or slapping the trigger? The thing is besides the fact I'm shooting low and left it's darn good grouping! Could my sights be off or is it like the PMI says, it's not the dope on the weapon that's the problem, it's the dope behind it? Anyway all help appreciated.

JTF

joeythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 38362
I was grouping there for a while. Dry fire it while sitting down and use a clock as the target. Pay close attention to the front site as the trigger is pulled.

I wasn't jerking, slapping or any of that stuff, but the gun was moving steady down and left when I smoothly pulled the trigger. OK, so it wasn't as smooth as I thought! But the dry fire at a clock showed me what the deal was. The correction was to go to the largest back strap (I'd actually like one a size bigger) and move my trigger finger around until I no longer made the front site bobble about.

I still will group low and left if I don't concentrate, but that's what practice is for.

jb

Tactical black cat - sleeps in doorways

A right unused become a privilege for the ruling class.

john_bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 31126
joey,
That's common for many shooters moving to this platform. It is likely not the sights (but can be). The first time I shot mine, I used the laced-thumb grip that I learned to shoot the M9 with. I was consistantly grouping (very tight) low and left. After changing my grip to the thumbs pointing forward/parallel grip, and working on my trigger finger placement/control, I started obliterating the X ring.
The XDm is a great pistol but is extremely unforgiving if you don't learn how to shoot it specifically. The fundamentals apply as with all firearms; however, the finer details of shooting this platform have to be figured out. Unfortunately, they may vary widely from shooter to shooter.
Hope this helps a bit.

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government ~ Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined. ~George Washington

We are a free people living under a republic of our own construction. We may consent to be governed, but we will not be ruled. ~Kevin D. Williamson

NRA
katokahn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
It means that as you pull the trigger you are also tightening your fingers around the grip, and or, you are pulling the trigger at an angle instead of straight back.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 31612
Thanks guys, first thing I'm going to do after I clean it today is switch to the bigger back strap, right now I've got the medium one on it. You guys are awesome thanks for the help.

joeythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 35534
My concealed class instructor said about 1000 dry fires will fix that. He said that its a natural thing that you want to kind of "push" it away from your face, even if you think you aren't, and that causes a lower left/right shot. He said the muscle memory from dry firing should correct this and make you a better shooter.

He was a pretty knowledgeable guy, he's a LEO and trained with groups like LA swat, so I think it should work.

Springfield XDm .40 purchased Spring Break '09
Mossberg/Maverick 88 purchased September '09
Mossberg 702 Tactical Plinkster purchased September '10
orleanfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 38909
Also, how are you gripping the gun?

Check this out, it may help.

The Combat Handgun Grip
smasraum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 31126
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasraum View Post
Also, how are you gripping the gun?

Check this out, it may help.

The Combat Handgun Grip
That's the one I use. joey, if you're not already doing this, this is the one I described. Go for it and let us know how it works for you.

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government ~ Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined. ~George Washington

We are a free people living under a republic of our own construction. We may consent to be governed, but we will not be ruled. ~Kevin D. Williamson

NRA
katokahn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 35868
Me too.. XD 45C and it was a LONG while back last time I could get to the range, but I was consistently to the left, in contrast to being spot on with the Sig 226 9mm. Getting some free-time hopefully this weekend, I'm going to get some range time in for sure.
babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #10
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Quote:
Originally Posted by orleanfire View Post
My concealed class instructor said about 1000 dry fires will fix that.
Just a note, dry fire practice using the correct technique not just dry firing. If you dry fire using the same technique you are currently using you'll just be reinforcing bad habits.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

Search tags for this page
correct low left shooting
how to correct shooting a pistol low left

how to correct shooting low and left

how to fix shooting low left
pistol shooting low and left
pistol shooting low and to the left
pistol shoots low and left

shooting low and left

shooting low and to the left with a handgun

shooting low left

shooting low left with handgun
shooting low to left
shooting pistol low and left
what causes low left pistol shooting
what if my shots are hitting low and left from my pistol
Click on a term to search for related topics.