• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XD-M - 10 round magazine for California

This is a discussion on XD-M - 10 round magazine for California within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by crip2nites Hi Folks, quick question here, I'm from California and I would like to purchase XDM Competition Series. I already talk to ...

Old 10-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #31
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 67026
Quote:
Originally Posted by crip2nites View Post
Hi Folks, quick question here, I'm from California and I would like to purchase XDM Competition Series. I already talk to a dealer and they will SSE and adjust the mags.
Question #1. When I received my gun ( SSE configured ) can I put back the original barrel? Someone told me I can not because that is felony. Is it true?
Whoever told you that is a moron. I would avoid listening to them in the future.

Quote:
Question #2. When configured SSE, would that void the manufacturer warantee?
Not necessarily. I'm in CA, and EBR Works did the SSE of my XDm 5.25" 9mm. The mods they make for the SSE are all temporary. It's just little pieces that they swap in -- a big barrel, a mag block. Nothing is drilled or epoxied or whatever. So, when you remove those things, and put back in the original barrel, the gun is exactly as it was when it arrived from the factory.

Plus, the factory has no proof you ever SSE'd the weapon. You could be LEO for all they know, in which case you never needed to SSE the weapon.

Having said all that, I would call SA and confirm. Their customer service is awesome, and will answer any questions.

N.B. The mags are another issue. By law, the mods to them are required to be permanent, so I'd guess you'll have no warranty coverage on them.

Quote:
Question #3. XDM 9mm Competition Series - Black- SSE configured $755 (dealer will take back the SSE barrel and will put the original) Is the price fair enough?

Thank you for your replies gentleman...
It's about what I paid. I would shop around just to be sure. Calguns SSE thread lists all the vendors.
speedrrracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #32
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39836
Easiest way to convert the mags.

http://ebrworks.com/EBR_Works_Exclusives.html
quig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #33
XDTalk Member

Member #: 81281
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
Ya know... as an aside, I never did understand the "Clinton gun ban" magazine restrictions or the ones the several States have kept on.
My understanding is that the California high-capacity magazine ban was at least partially motivated by the North Hollywood Shootout (search Wikipedia for lots of info) where the robbers used several weapons with 30 and 100 round magazines.

The ban is, of course, pure silliness - there are folks in my IDPA club who can reload a pistol in much less than 2 seconds, so the difference between 10*x shots and 15*x or 17*x only becomes important when the value of x is large enough that the magazines become too heavy to carry. (Hell, I'm FAR from the speediest shooter on the range when I compete, and I can reload in 3 or 4 seconds pretty consistently.) But there's no law that says politicians have to have a grasp of the real world.

Tammy
tlcwrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #34
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39723
Quote:
Originally Posted by quig View Post
Easiest way to convert the mags.

EBR Works Exclusives
These will work... as long as you take the steps to "permanently" install them. Epoxy may do the work.

I went through a company out in Tracy CA to have two of my 19-round magazines converted down to 10-round magazines. When I got them back... they are definitely legal now... but NOT 10-round magazines. They blocked 'em however they block them and then riveted the block in to make it permanent... but one magazine will fit 8 rounds if you use all the muscle you've got to muscle in that 8th round and the other magazine will only fit 7. I contacted them and asked if they tested the mags before they sent them back and they said they did, but there is no way they did. I use an UPLULA speed loader and it would definitely break that thing if I tried to fit a 8th or 9th round in one of those mags.

Anyways, it can legally be done. You may want to do it yourself though if you want it done right. And make sure your fix is permanent.
br0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #35
XDTalk Supporter

Member #: 71862
Quote:
Originally Posted by br0ck View Post
Anyways, it can legally be done. You may want to do it yourself though if you want it done right. And make sure your fix is permanent.
I mentioned this earlier, and I'll stick with it. Aftermarket mods to factory magazines have NOT been legally "tested". The California DoJ has not issued any statements as to this being a legal fix.

Again, my suggestion is to contact DoJ for confirmation, and ask for written confirmation before committing what is, in this state, a felony.

This was told to me by an FFL LGS that does SSE conversions, and they have many years of experience in these matters.
"As democracy is perfected, the office represents more and more closely the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." –-H. L. Mencken, The Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
dawgchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #36
XDTalk 500 Member

While people try to make the law seem vague (and it is in some parts)... it isn't THAT vague.

California Penal Code Section 16740 - California Attorney Resources - California Laws
Old 11-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #37
XDTalk Supporter

Quote:
While people try to make the law seem vague (and it is in some parts)... it isn't THAT vague.

California Penal Code Section 16740 - California Attorney Resources - California Laws
Obviously it's your call, but I'll still maintain that it doesn't take much time to call DoJ for confirmation of an aftermarket mod.

It's not going to hurt, and it may save you some grief.

All of this assumes the mod has been done before you take possession within the state.
"As democracy is perfected, the office represents more and more closely the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." –-H. L. Mencken, The Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
Old 11-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #38
XDTalk 500 Member

If they want to exclude after market mods to magazines... they'll need to revise the law to include that wording. In the meantime... any lawyer with one eye and half a brain could argue on the side of the way the law is clearly (currently) written and win. If you feel the need to call the DoJ... then by all means do it. I'm just going by what the law states.

The way the place in Tracy handled it... even though it was my own magazine... they sold me the magazine back after the mod had been installed. So I took possession of it AFTER I purchased it. I've got receipts and all to show I purchased a converted 10-round magazine from them... NOT a receipt for service to convert a 10-round magazine for me. And you don't have to supply your own mags... you can purchase converted mags from them (it will just cost you more).

I still don't think you would have a problem in doing an aftermarket mod yourself (as long as you make the mod permanent)... but yes, if you are unsure, then by all means... make a call to find out.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #39
XDTalk Supporter

Quote:
I still don't think you would have a problem in doing an aftermarket mod yourself (as long as you make the mod permanent)... but yes, if you are unsure, then by all means... make a call to find out.
And I agree that you're probably right. But when it comes to politics, and gun politics in particular in this state, I just assume utter stupidity on their part.

And I'll probably never be disappointed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

magazines

Search tags for this page
10 round magazines for a springfield xd
10 round magazines for spring xd 40
springfield 9 mm 10 round magazine
springfield armory xdm 10 round magazines
springfield xdm 10 round mag

springfield xdm 10 round magazine

springfield xdm 10 round magazines
springfield xdm 9mm 10 round magazine
which 10 round magazine fits a springfield xd9611
www.springfield-armory.com/products/xdm-4-5-40-cal/10 round magazine
xdm 10 round magazine
xdm 10round magazine 40 smith&wesson
xdm 40 magazines area code for california
xdm 5.25 9mm 10rd
xdm 9mm 10 round magazine
xdm 9mm magazine 10rd
Click on a term to search for related topics.