• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Well, I've gone over to the dark side...

This is a discussion on Well, I've gone over to the dark side... within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; After much thought, I decided to trade my XDm 9mm in... for *gasp* a Glock 19. My reasons? They are many... 1. I wanted something ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) » Well, I've gone over to the dark side...

Old 07-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 31153
Well, I've gone over to the dark side...

After much thought, I decided to trade my XDm 9mm in... for *gasp* a Glock 19. My reasons? They are many...

1. I wanted something small enough for CCW but NOT a subcompact.

If I had seen the G19 before I bought the XDm I would have (most likely) chosen it then... assuming I would have been able to see through the XDm marketing barrage (which is tough to do as a first-time purchaser!) and had I known that concealing a full-size gun for me is not really practical or feasible...

Of course I could have just bought the G19 as a second gun but I felt I'd really only *use* one of them... and I am not yet financially able to be a "collector"

2. I was never happy with the XDm trigger

Yes, I planned to have Springer do me a combat/carry trigger job but I couldn't get happy about it given I wouldn't be carrying the gun...

3. Even with the swappable backstraps I couldn't really get comfortable with the XDm grip...

The Glock is, at first blush, quite a different beast but after just a few moments of handling it I felt more comfortable with it.

4. Silly, but I wanted a Glock so I could participate in the GSSF events.

The Glock 19 seems to be a great all-purpose gun... suitable for home defense, fun at the range, IDPA... and being a Glock it also allows me to participate in GSSF shooting events.

5. Sadly I was rather underwhelmed by the XDm after buying into all of the marketing and hype.

This was my biggest lesson as a first time buyer. Many of the touted features were not really as important/impressive once the "new" wore off. Oh well - lesson learned!

One great thing that did come of the XDm purchase, however, was that I became a part of this community... and I still intend to hang out here unless I am ridden out of town on a rail or tarred and feathered for this trade

Here are some pics. I got it pretty much for an even trade and bought the 3 extra mags... prolly not the best deal, overall, given that I had put XS Big Dots on my XDm (another thing I was less than happy with after some time to adjust) but I am okay with that.

d( -.- )b
s0nspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 30665
Nice Glock , Hey Hang around and Enjoy, You have to do what is right for you if you won't carry the gun because you don't like it what good will it do you when you need it and don't have it. Enjoy the new Gun!!!
Badhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 24614
I hear ya man!

I've been toying with the idea of selling my S&W and getting a G19 in OD.

They are nice all-around weapons.
ladromar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
SRD
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 13092
G19 is my most shot firearm next to my xd45. i even have xd9sc i dont shoot much. If i could only keep one of my pistols as much as i love all my expensive german ones and hi powers, I would keep my G19. Light for its size accurate durable easy to find any replacement part can be completely taken apart by a monkey. awsome gun you will enjoy it.

-------------------------------------------------
Since my list was to long last time ill only put my favorite pistols

HKP7
CZ82
Browning Hi power
FN Hi power
Sig p232
Sig p220 Elite SS
NAA 22PUG
XD45
G19
G29
Norinco Ak47
FN PS90 SBR
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 38230
Why not both? I just started with the Glock 17 several weeks ago, and am planning to get an XD eventually (so I've started reading the forums here.) Go visit glocktalk forums, lots of info! Google for the 25 cent trigger job for new Glocks. I found out the hard way new Glock triggers can be a little stiff until they wear in a bit.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 17756
I bought my first Glock in 1986 when there was only one model, the model 17. Since then I have put over 20K+ rounds through it without a single malfunction. I own two other Glocks and consider them excellent firearms for their intended use.

Lets face facts, for a handgun that you may have to count on to save your ass the Glock just plain works and works every time regardless of the ammo you feed it. I own lots of handguns, to include a couple of XDs, but the Glock is the only one I can honestly say I have never had a single failure to feed or extract.
Verk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 36744
With a gssf membership you could have got a new glock for $398, should have kept the xdm and pick up a glock with the discount.

XDTALK.COM * RIMFIRECENTRAL.COM * STREETJEEPS.NET
SEDIBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 37016
I have an XDM9 & love it but I really like the G19 also. The G19 has a good feel for me. I'm in the process of deciding between the G19, XDSC9, and S&W M&Pc for carry; I agree the XDM9 is too big. If the G19 is what you feel comfortable carrying, then you made the right decision.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEDIBOY View Post
With a gssf membership you could have got a new glock for $398, should have kept the xdm and pick up a glock with the discount.
Do tell... I had no idea!

I most likely would have still traded though ... Being new to shooting in general I want to focus on a single gun until I reach a level of comfort and proficiency that satisfies me.

Thanks for the info, though - my wife may be getting her own Glock sometime soon

d( -.- )b
Old 07-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent317 View Post
I have an XDM9 & love it but I really like the G19 also. The G19 has a good feel for me. I'm in the process of deciding between the G19, XDSC9, and S&W M&Pc for carry; I agree the XDM9 is too big. If the G19 is what you feel comfortable carrying, then you made the right decision.
Those were 3 that I looked at... I was leery of the short barrel of the XD9sc and just did not like the feel of the M&Pc (my stepdad carries one) and I also tried a G26... too small for my hands. The G19 seems a good middle choice for all I want to do.

I must say, if Springfield offered an XD9 Compact (like the XD45C) I would have gone there without question... Dark Earth, black slide, CT lasre grips...

Oh well. Can't wait to get to the range now

d( -.- )b

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

9mm, g19, glock, trade, xdm

Search tags for this page

25 cent trigger job on xd

25 cent trigger job xdm

xdm 9 carry

Click on a term to search for related topics.