• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XDM Slide Finish

This is a discussion on XDM Slide Finish within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; Hey gang, I've only fired about 40 rounds through my new XDM9 so far and I already have knocked off a *small* part of the ...

Old 03-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 35796
Exclamation XDM Slide Finish

Hey gang,

I've only fired about 40 rounds through my new XDM9 so far and I already have knocked off a *small* part of the finish on the ejection port from an ejecting round.

I'm really dissappointed that this has happend with only about 40 rounds through it! I'm debating on calling SA. I just have a very hard time understanding how a quality firearms so easily marked up the finish with such little use.

I hate to say this I really really do but....I fired hunderds, 1k's of rounds through glocks I've owned without any marks on the finish resulting from ejected rounds. That being said I do feel the XD's offer more than the glock, but if the finish marks up this easily something has to change.

So what is the consensus here guys? Should I call Springfield and ask about the finish or should I just chalk this up to wear? But seriously 40 rounds......wear?

Last edited by AaronXDM9; 03-29-2009 at 11:48 AM.
AaronXDM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 22785
i doubt its the finish considering melonite is pretty much identical to tenifer on the glock.

the finish shouldnt "knock off" because it turns black as a result of the melonite process

have a pic?
apierce918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 31448
Really need a pic here... so we can see what you're seeing before commenting.
TahoeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by apierce918 View Post
i doubt its the finish considering melonite is pretty much identical to tenifer on the glock.

the finish shouldnt "knock off" because it turns black as a result of the melonite process

have a pic?
You could be right. I have not tried scrubbing it off...it could be just part of a casing leaving a mark which I can clean off (nickle casing). I had tried rubbing it off with no luck but that doesnt mean much. I guess I need to break out the clp and my AP brush. Heck I need to clean the bore any how. I wouldn't think the finish would have any issues it seems to be pretty tough. The mark is very small as I mentioned before. I'll give it a light scrub and see if it comes off.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 22785
thats probably it, i have thought i have scratched my slide several times on my XDm and my SC only to find out they disappear on me. i dont worry too much about them because i think they look cooler when they are all worn out looking most silver marks are metal from other things, rockwell hardness on melonite is pretty high
apierce918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 35621
I think I have come across this which at first I thought was rust but may have just been frags of the casing. Didn't really see it at first until I was doing maintenance on it. I gently scrubbed it off with some very fine steel wool, cleaned it with solvent, then applied a good amount of oil/gun grease. Hmm..I might still have the pics of this. I'll get back to you all.
borjadxD.45svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by apierce918 View Post
thats probably it, i have thought i have scratched my slide several times on my XDm and my SC only to find out they disappear on me. i dont worry too much about them because i think they look cooler when they are all worn out looking most silver marks are metal from other things, rockwell hardness on melonite is pretty high
Well after a light scrub with my ap brush and some clp the mark wasnt really going anywhere so i stepped up the game and *lightly* used a bore brush....it finally gave and the mark is gone! WOOHOO!

I didn't mind the mark so much as I was concerned about the possibility of the finish being worn off. Ow well I feel like a tool bag for starting this thread but I had given it a good rub before I posted (it was just real stubborn).

Thanks for the post!! This site is awesome!
Old 03-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by borjadxD.45svc View Post
I think I have come across this which at first I thought was rust but may have just been frags of the casing. Didn't really see it at first until I was doing maintenance on it. I gently scrubbed it off with some very fine steel wool, cleaned it with solvent, then applied a good amount of oil/gun grease. Hmm..I might still have the pics of this. I'll get back to you all.
You were dead on! Thanks for the post !
Old 03-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 35621
Thumbs up

No prob. I was disappointed as you were but just glad it wasn't as bad as I thought. Still wanna post some pics so that all members get further maintenance tips for their own xDs. Not sure if it already has been done since there are tons of info in here. Take care!
borjadxD.45svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by borjadxD.45svc View Post
No prob. I was disappointed as you were but just glad it wasn't as bad as I thought. Still wanna post some pics so that all members get further maintenance tips for their own xDs. Not sure if it already has been done since there are tons of info in here. Take care!
I already got her all cleaned up, but I'll get some pics up if it happens again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

ejection port, finish, slide, xdm

Search tags for this page
ejected casing scratched xdm
my xdm has a mark on the slide
scratches disappear off xdm slide
slide finish
slide finish on xdm
springfield xd color fading

springfield xdm finish

springfield xdm finish wear
springfield xdm melonite fading
springfield xdm scratch

springfield xdm slide finish

xdm finish
xdm melonite finish scratch

xdm slide finish

xdm slide finishes

xdm slide wear

Click on a term to search for related topics.