XD Talk

  • Home
  • Forum
  • Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XDM Slide Finish

This is a discussion on XDM Slide Finish within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; Hey gang, I've only fired about 40 rounds through my new XDM9 so far and I already have knocked off a *small* part of the ...


Reply
Old 03-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie
 
AaronXDM9's Avatar
 
Member #: 35796
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 23
Exclamation XDM Slide Finish

Hey gang,

I've only fired about 40 rounds through my new XDM9 so far and I already have knocked off a *small* part of the finish on the ejection port from an ejecting round.

I'm really dissappointed that this has happend with only about 40 rounds through it! I'm debating on calling SA. I just have a very hard time understanding how a quality firearms so easily marked up the finish with such little use.

I hate to say this I really really do but....I fired hunderds, 1k's of rounds through glocks I've owned without any marks on the finish resulting from ejected rounds. That being said I do feel the XD's offer more than the glock, but if the finish marks up this easily something has to change.

So what is the consensus here guys? Should I call Springfield and ask about the finish or should I just chalk this up to wear? But seriously 40 rounds......wear?

Last edited by AaronXDM9; 03-29-2009 at 11:48 AM.
AaronXDM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member
 
Member #: 22785
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mid Michigan
Posts: 265
i doubt its the finish considering melonite is pretty much identical to tenifer on the glock.

the finish shouldnt "knock off" because it turns black as a result of the melonite process

have a pic?
apierce918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member
 
TahoeMac's Avatar
 
Member #: 31448
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lake Tahoe
Posts: 270
Really need a pic here... so we can see what you're seeing before commenting.
TahoeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie
 
AaronXDM9's Avatar
 
Member #: 35796
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by apierce918 View Post
i doubt its the finish considering melonite is pretty much identical to tenifer on the glock.

the finish shouldnt "knock off" because it turns black as a result of the melonite process

have a pic?
You could be right. I have not tried scrubbing it off...it could be just part of a casing leaving a mark which I can clean off (nickle casing). I had tried rubbing it off with no luck but that doesnt mean much. I guess I need to break out the clp and my AP brush. Heck I need to clean the bore any how. I wouldn't think the finish would have any issues it seems to be pretty tough. The mark is very small as I mentioned before. I'll give it a light scrub and see if it comes off.
AaronXDM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member
 
Member #: 22785
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mid Michigan
Posts: 265
thats probably it, i have thought i have scratched my slide several times on my XDm and my SC only to find out they disappear on me. i dont worry too much about them because i think they look cooler when they are all worn out looking most silver marks are metal from other things, rockwell hardness on melonite is pretty high
apierce918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie
 
Member #: 35621
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 8
I think I have come across this which at first I thought was rust but may have just been frags of the casing. Didn't really see it at first until I was doing maintenance on it. I gently scrubbed it off with some very fine steel wool, cleaned it with solvent, then applied a good amount of oil/gun grease. Hmm..I might still have the pics of this. I'll get back to you all.
borjadxD.45svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie
 
AaronXDM9's Avatar
 
Member #: 35796
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 23
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by apierce918 View Post
thats probably it, i have thought i have scratched my slide several times on my XDm and my SC only to find out they disappear on me. i dont worry too much about them because i think they look cooler when they are all worn out looking most silver marks are metal from other things, rockwell hardness on melonite is pretty high
Well after a light scrub with my ap brush and some clp the mark wasnt really going anywhere so i stepped up the game and *lightly* used a bore brush....it finally gave and the mark is gone! WOOHOO!

I didn't mind the mark so much as I was concerned about the possibility of the finish being worn off. Ow well I feel like a tool bag for starting this thread but I had given it a good rub before I posted (it was just real stubborn).

Thanks for the post!! This site is awesome!
AaronXDM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
XDTalk Newbie
 
AaronXDM9's Avatar
 
Member #: 35796
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 23
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by borjadxD.45svc View Post
I think I have come across this which at first I thought was rust but may have just been frags of the casing. Didn't really see it at first until I was doing maintenance on it. I gently scrubbed it off with some very fine steel wool, cleaned it with solvent, then applied a good amount of oil/gun grease. Hmm..I might still have the pics of this. I'll get back to you all.
You were dead on! Thanks for the post !
AaronXDM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie
 
Member #: 35621
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 8
Thumbs up

No prob. I was disappointed as you were but just glad it wasn't as bad as I thought. Still wanna post some pics so that all members get further maintenance tips for their own xDs. Not sure if it already has been done since there are tons of info in here. Take care!
borjadxD.45svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie
 
AaronXDM9's Avatar
 
Member #: 35796
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by borjadxD.45svc View Post
No prob. I was disappointed as you were but just glad it wasn't as bad as I thought. Still wanna post some pics so that all members get further maintenance tips for their own xDs. Not sure if it already has been done since there are tons of info in here. Take care!
I already got her all cleaned up, but I'll get some pics up if it happens again.
AaronXDM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

ejection port, finish, slide, xdm


Search tags for this page
ejected casing scratched xdm
,
my xdm has a mark on the slide
,
scratches disappear off xdm slide
,
slide finish
,
slide finish on xdm
,
springfield xd color fading
,

springfield xdm finish

,
springfield xdm finish wear
,
springfield xdm melonite fading
,
springfield xdm scratch
,

springfield xdm slide finish

,
xdm finish
,
xdm melonite finish scratch
,

xdm slide finish

,
xdm slide finishes
,

xdm slide wear

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-m-discussion-room-xd-m/112207-xdm-slide-finish.html
Posted By For Type Date
Thread XDM Slide Finish | HS2000/XDTalk Forum | Page 2 | BoardReader This thread Refback 05-01-2011 02:08 PM
Thread XDm Slide Stop | HS2000/XDTalk Forum | BoardReader This thread Refback 02-05-2011 09:20 PM
Thread XDm Slide Choices | HS2000/XDTalk Forum | BoardReader This thread Refback 01-21-2011 07:00 AM
Thread XDM Slide Finish | HS2000/XDTalk Forum | BoardReader This thread Refback 01-16-2011 12:03 AM