• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

"Four plus One Syndrome" in XDM 9mm?

This is a discussion on "Four plus One Syndrome" in XDM 9mm? within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; All, I have an XDM 9mm with over 1000 rounds through it. Unfortunately it seems to consistently put the first round low and left (off ...

Old 02-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 34400
"Four plus One Syndrome" in XDM 9mm?

All,

I have an XDM 9mm with over 1000 rounds through it. Unfortunately it seems to consistently put the first round low and left (off about 3-4 inches even at 10 feet). This is very disappointing since the other rounds are in a tight 1-2 inch group.

Since I am a new pistol shooter, I always want to blame myself. However, I've had other XD and 1911 owners shoot it from a fixed position with the same results.

After a bunch of research I found that it might be a "4+1 syndrome" as exposed by Massad Ayoob in "The Complete Book of Handguns 2009". In this article he states that at least some XDMs (.40 caliber) seem to have this issue which occurs when the first hand-chambered cartridge sends its bullet to a slightly different point then the other automatically chambered rounds. I have the same issue with both magazines and various brands of low cost range ammo.

Have any other XDM owners experienced and/or solved this problem?

Any other suggestions/thoughts are welcome.

Thanks in advance!
caj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28584
hmmmmmm.......

don't know 1st i have heard of it?

one MONSTER!!!!
stainone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 26172
^^me too

how do you chamber the first round?

it doesnt matter if the gun is shot or you manually pull the slide back and sling shot it, it both situations the slide comes to a stop at full rear and then is pulled forward by the spring pressure. now if you "ride" the slide forward then you are changing the speed at which it goes forward

I haven't stopped believing in god. I just stopped beliving he cares. There might be a god, there might not, but i dont think it matters. Either way were on our own.-Jace Wayland

If you want to polish your barrel click the link below

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
sourpatch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch45 View Post
^^me too

how do you chamber the first round?

it doesnt matter if the gun is shot or you manually pull the slide back and sling shot it, it both situations the slide comes to a stop at full rear and then is pulled forward by the spring pressure. now if you "ride" the slide forward then you are changing the speed at which it goes forward

I typically leave the slide locked, and use the slide release lever to chamber the first round out of the magazine. Nothing special.

I've also tried manually chambering the first round and using slide release lever to release the slide.

Both result in the same issue.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 33132
Quote:
Originally Posted by caj123 View Post
I typically leave the slide locked, and use the slide release lever to chamber the first round out of the magazine. Nothing special.

I've also tried manually chambering the first round and using slide release lever to release the slide.

Both result in the same issue.

You stand a very good chance of breaking your extractor if you manualy load a round into the chamber and then drop the slide.

don
dglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 32121
From a tactical standpoint, i was told to grip the slide and let it rip. Very fine movements like using the slide release lever can be a bad habit for a tactical situation, so i bring my left hand up and over the slide and slingshot it as I am a right handed shooter. Maybe you can try chambering the 1st round this way, but I dunno, seems like the round should sit properly unless you ride the slide. I have had first shot accuracy in my XDm9, but have not shot the 40 yet.
gM4dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

gM4dd,

So you always slingshot the slide when reloading? For example, if you empty a mag, and the slide remains locked, you DO NOT use the slide release lever to load the first round of a new magazine (and you use a slingshot instead)? Just wondering what the recommended approach is.

Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 31360
you can use the release but it is best to use the sling shot method. that builds muscle memory and if you were to have a problem you are then used to using the sling shot method
S&W .32
S&W .38 Airweight
Mossberg 500 Persuader 12GA (7+1)
Sig P232 .380 (wifes new one)
H&K P2000SK .40 (wifes other new one)
BushMaster AR15 5.56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Dealer of:

Please donate to Kidz with cancer. It goes to CureSearch.Org. These kids are our FUTURE!

bullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 30699
FWIW, I had noticed the same thing in my 9mm. One of the guys at the range asked if I was hand loading or doing an speed loader for loading my magazine? What he showed me was that sometimes, I was not seating the round all the way back in the magazine on the last round in (first round fired). I started making sure I pushed it all the way back in the magazine, and I have noticed a marked decrease in the problem. Don't know if that is really the issue, or more a psychological crutch that got me over some trigger control issue. But hey, it worked for me.
DanD23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanD23 View Post
FWIW, I had noticed the same thing in my 9mm. One of the guys at the range asked if I was hand loading or doing an speed loader for loading my magazine? What he showed me was that sometimes, I was not seating the round all the way back in the magazine on the last round in (first round fired). I started making sure I pushed it all the way back in the magazine, and I have noticed a marked decrease in the problem. Don't know if that is really the issue, or more a psychological crutch that got me over some trigger control issue. But hey, it worked for me.
DanD23,

That is very interesting. Next time I am at the range I will make sure all bullets are completely seated against the back of the magazine. Not sure that is the problem, but it is certainly something to look at. BTW, do you load the first round out of the magazine by "slingshotting" the slide?

Thanks again!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

accuracy, xdm 9mm

Search tags for this page
1 4 syndrome massad ayoob
4 1 syndrome massad ayoob

ayoob xdm

best .45 target ammo xdm
changing grips on mdx 9mm
mas ayoob article on the 9mm 1911
massad ayoob = complete book of handguns xdm 3.8
massad ayoob on the xdm

massad ayoob xdm

massad ayoob xdm 3.8 9mm
massad ayoob xdm review
mdx 9mm
plus 2 xdm
plus one syndrome
xdm 9mm benchrest accuracy
xdm plus 4 magazine
Click on a term to search for related topics.