• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XDm 40 problems

This is a discussion on XDm 40 problems within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; I just bought an XDm 40 about a month ago. I've fired 500 rounds through it and I'm not overly impressed. I'd like to know ...

Old 02-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 34268
Cool XDm 40 problems

I just bought an XDm 40 about a month ago. I've fired 500 rounds through it and I'm not overly impressed. I'd like to know if anyone else is seeing the same problems:

1) Shoots low and to the left. Even at 20 feet it's as much as 3" off. I have experience shooting and have fired the gun from a rest. I adjusted the rear site and it shoots straight now but still low.

2) Slide does not lock in back position after last round is fired from magazine. Not sure what's causing this. Happens about 1 our of every 100 rounds fired.

3) Purchased 2 additional 16 round magazines direct from SA. One elevator jams 3/4 the way up.

You know how first impressions are. I'm usually a S&W person but took a chance on SA. Has anyone else seen these problems? They are very nice at SA after a 2nd email (no response from the first). They explained how to adjust the sights and said to send it in so they can look at it. I'm just wondering if this is normal for SA?
PSOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 31454
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSOH View Post
I just bought an XDm 40 about a month ago. I've fired 500 rounds through it and I'm not overly impressed. I'd like to know if anyone else is seeing the same problems:

1) Shoots low and to the left. Even at 20 feet it's as much as 3" off. I have experience shooting and have fired the gun from a rest. I adjusted the rear site and it shoots straight now but still low.

2) Slide does not lock in back position after last round is fired from magazine. Not sure what's causing this. Happens about 1 our of every 100 rounds fired.

3) Purchased 2 additional 16 round magazines direct from SA. One elevator jams 3/4 the way up.

You know how first impressions are. I'm usually a S&W person but took a chance on SA. Has anyone else seen these problems? They are very nice at SA after a 2nd email (no response from the first). They explained how to adjust the sights and said to send it in so they can look at it. I'm just wondering if this is normal for SA?
1. ur probably not used to the long trigger pull which is making u jerk the trigger which is causing you to shoot low and left.
2. there is no thumb rest on the gun so it is possible that your resting your thumb on the slide lock and when you empty the magazine ur pushing down on it causing it not to lock up.
3. not sure...maybe defective....i know my 40 mags are A-OK..
hope this helps though
Century Arms AK-47 Black
Glock 21(SOLD)

Mossberg 12 Gauge 590A1
SA Mil Spec 1911 (SOLD)
SA TRP 1911 SS NS
"Shoot the wings off of the flies." (Wanted)
King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 32124
Mine shoots beautifully and when I get a flyer, it's my fault. These things are point of aim, not a 6 o-clock hold. I also have problems with the slide lock but it is because of my big paws somtimes rest on the release, again my fault. Never have I had a problem with the mags. I have the same problems with Sigs too. Check on thumb placement during shooting, I bet your doing it too. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 30964
I haven't had any problems with mine. I've put around 1000 rounds throught it....i love the hell out of this gun
Ben6485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 32799
1. I agree... sounds like jerking from a long trigger pull.
2. Haven't experienced any "slide not locking issues."
3. I have 8 .40 magazines and have not experienced an "elevator" issue with any of them.
DragonballZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 33779
ok im dumb whats a 6 o'clock hold. And whats the difference between 6 oclock and point of impact? like i said im dumb
jcb7469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 33874
Its the trigger pull that's making you push it low and left...it takes some getting used to but its an accurate pistol after getting used to it.

I don't have a 40 XDm, my wife has a 45 Compact...we went through the same thing until we got used to it.
Ridgerunner665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:00 AM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 5738
Everything you mentioned makes me think it is you and not the gun.

ranburr
ranburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28550
The slide lock issue is due to your thumb placement. I use the "Combat" grip when shooting supported and have had to learn to place my strong hand thumb on the back of my support hand on both my XDm and my Sigs. It just doesn't take much pressure on the slide lock to override it's funtioning.

Shooting low may be due to your sight alignment or due to parallax at close distances. Per S.A. manual, the XDm-40 is sighted in such a manner that a line draw across the top edge of the sights will be the point of impact at 75 feet. What this means is that you want to split the bulls eye in half with the top edge of the sights, NOT the dots in the sights. Most shooters who haven't read the manual and who are not used to this type of sight alignment, usually report that the gun shoots high because of this type of sight picture. As for paralax error, the maximum error at near distances is the distance from the top of the sights to the center of the barrel, which is much less than you have reported. Because of this, I suspect that your probably "pushing" your gun in anticipation of the recoil. Proper practice with your gun will probably correct for this.

Tips for proper practice. Have a friend load some random snap caps in your magazine. Once you pull the trigger on the snap cap and you see the gun jerk when it doesn't fire, you'll be quite convinced that you've developed a "push" flinch. Curing a flinch starts with knowing, and admitting, that you are flinching. After that, you do what works. Which for some means practicing dry firing at the line before you start shooting as a relaxation exercise, bascially spend 5 or 10 minutes dry firing the gun until your rock solid steady. For more drastic flinchers, it may mean spending time shooting a mild caliber, such as a 22 or 38 spl. I now warm up at the range by shooting my 38 revolver in double action. This provides a double benefit, it's stopped the flinch that I was starting to develop cold and the double action practice has really improved my trigger control.
scooter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 34268
Talking XDm 40 Problems

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I had thought I may be jerking the trigger but thought I ruled it out by using a bench rest. I realize my S&W 9mm is different than my XDm 40 and it may take awhile getting use to. I've fired 500 rounds through it now and will keep trying. I did adjust the rear sight and it is now shooting straight, just a little low. I'll try the suggestions for vertical aiming.

Those of you that said I'm probably resting my strong thumb on the slide catch, you are absolutely right. I was using it as an anchor point when I draw and fire. I'll reposition it and see if that cures my slide not locking back issue.

As far as my magazine problem goes, I'll just contact SA and ask for a replacement. I don't think there's much I can do for the elevator getting stuck while firing.

Thanks again.
PSOH is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

left, low, problems, slide, xdm

Search tags for this page
.40 xdm problems
charging handle for xdm
max distance before adjusting aim with xdm 40

problems with xdm 40

sighting in a springfield xdm .40
sighting in xdm 40
springfield xdm .40 issues
springfield xdm 40 faults

springfield xdm 40 problems

springfield xdm 40 shoots low
xdm .40 problems
xdm 40 issues

xdm 40 problems

xdm 40 sighting issues
xdm faults

xdm problems

Click on a term to search for related topics.