• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Changing the XDM backstraps

This is a discussion on Changing the XDM backstraps within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; Wow this pin is really in there. i've tried an allen wrench also a finishing nail and hammered the hell out of it and nothing, ...

Old 02-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #21
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 30873
Wow this pin is really in there. i've tried an allen wrench also a finishing nail and hammered the hell out of it and nothing, didnt even budge. might have to get some kind of tool that you was mention. 1/8th punch out

Last edited by mike21603; 02-11-2009 at 05:51 PM.
mike21603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #22
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 33268
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
Can you get some pictures of the velcro?

I am wondering how well that will hold on a day at the range.

I oiled the pin and have been able to remove it quite easily.
ill see if i can get pics...holds up well...cause your hand wraps around it...can't fly off or come loose if your hand is on it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

IWB

OWB
xdmp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #23
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 31360
Mike, put the gun on a solid surface, push the pin from the left side to right side. This is looking down the barrel. Hit it several times and it will come out. It took me several times and I too, was worried about hitting too hard. But then it came right out. I used a 3/32 allen wrench and a rubber mallet. Good luck!
S&W .32
S&W .38 Airweight
Mossberg 500 Persuader 12GA (7+1)
Sig P232 .380 (wifes new one)
H&K P2000SK .40 (wifes other new one)
BushMaster AR15 5.56

Dealer of:

Please donate to Kidz with cancer. It goes to CureSearch.Org. These kids are our FUTURE!

bullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #24
TKH
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 31932
I'd be a little careful with the Allen wrenches. They are tough but they are also hardened. If you guys are having as tough a time as I read I would use a punch. I suggested the nail trick on another thread which really worked well for me and should be easy for everybody. Be sure to use the head or cut off the point. The pin is split so if you use the point of the nail the pin may flare just enough to make the removal that much more difficult. A 6d nail works fine.

"If you have nothing to die for, you have no reason to live" Martin Luther King Jr.

"A wrong positive attitude is better than doubt, indecision, and fear" Anon., Readers Digest 1922

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not" Thomas Jefferson
TKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #25
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 31360
Many of us have and will use allen wrenches. There is not a problem in doing so. The A/W will fit through the hole and it fits over the edge of the pin to push it out.
S&W .32
S&W .38 Airweight
Mossberg 500 Persuader 12GA (7+1)
Sig P232 .380 (wifes new one)
H&K P2000SK .40 (wifes other new one)
BushMaster AR15 5.56

Dealer of:

Please donate to Kidz with cancer. It goes to CureSearch.Org. These kids are our FUTURE!

bullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #26
TKH
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 31932
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullit View Post
Many of us have and will use allen wrenches. There is not a problem in doing so. The A/W will fit through the hole and it fits over the edge of the pin to push it out.
I'm glad it works for you. Go for it!

"If you have nothing to die for, you have no reason to live" Martin Luther King Jr.

"A wrong positive attitude is better than doubt, indecision, and fear" Anon., Readers Digest 1922

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not" Thomas Jefferson
TKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:24 PM   #27
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 28902
That backstrap is a real bitch. Changed them out and I can barely feel the difference, should have just left it as is.
pheenix11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:23 AM   #28
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 33462
I guess it's good that they aren't going to fall out on their own but they do take a pretty good whack the first time you remove the retainer pin.

I used a finishing nail after I took the point off with a Dremel tool. It worked well but need a good whack to get the pin started moving.

I put some Hoppe's gun oil on it before changing to the small backstrap. I decided to change back to the 'default' medium strap after a trip to the firing range with the small backstrap. Haven't shot it again since changing back but I pretty sure I'm going to like shooting it better since I shot better with it before switching to the small.
photogbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #29
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 33640
You guys are inspirational! I haven't been really happy with my trigger on the XDM. When it gets a little more broke in if I still am not happy I will do a PRP to it. The back strap change literally changes the angle your finger tip makes with the trigger (to some small degree). Small one rotates finger tip up; large one rotates finger tip down. I followed great advice here and got a 6D finishing nail and using my Dremel cut off wheel I took off the point. Kept the edge sharp but made sure it was flat. Then in a really enjoyable moment I took my dad's old plastic faced hammer that he used many years (and years ago) on his guns to quickly drive out the pin on the backstrap. No issues and didn't require all that much force or many taps. I went to the small one and I am much happier with the trigger/finger tip lineup. Feels better too. When my Hogue sleeve gets in next week I will have the grip of this XDM about as nice as it will let me make it. I didn't lube the pin when I put it back in. Split pins, in my opinion only, do their job without lubrication.
Old Stumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #30
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 30873
finally sat down with the xdm the other day and was determined to get the back strap changed and i did. love the feel of the smallest back strap. its awesome, 20rds never fit so good in my hand. thanks for all your help guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

Search tags for this page
change back straps xdm
change backstrap on xdm
change backstrap xdm
change xdm backstrap
changing back straps on xdm

changing backstrap on xdm

changing backstrap xdm

changing xdm backstrap

how to change backstrap on xdm

how to change the backstrap on a springfield xdm

how to change xdm backstrap

springfield xdm backstrap change
springfield xdm changing backstrap
xdm backstrap change

xdm change backstrap

Click on a term to search for related topics.