• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New instructional video! - How to clean an XD-9

This is a discussion on New instructional video! - How to clean an XD-9 within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; Since people didnt like the rushed version ( yet they kept rushing me in the first place), I took down the video and will remake ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance » New instructional video! - How to clean an XD-9

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28031
Exclamation New instructional video! - How to clean an XD-9

Since people didnt like the rushed version ( yet they kept rushing me in the first place), I took down the video and will remake it when im not rushed.

HOW TO:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

HOW TO:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

HOW TO:

Springfield XD 9mm Service

16" Mid-length AR-15

Last edited by WTFH4XX; 09-25-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Remove Ads
Old 09-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 28400
I don't mean to sound negative, since the other videos are pretty good, but that's a pretty poor way to clean an XD. I guess it gets the job done, but not in a really meaningful way.

You begin by lubing the gun. That should be the very last thing you do.

You then assemble the gun before doing any actual cleaning. The only part that receives any solvent is the barrel, which you just put a little bit on a barrel brush and run it through with no time to set and dissolve powder residue. There are a couple of mistakes you take with the barrel brush as well. First off you push the brush through the muzzle, which can lead to nicks on the crown. You should push the brush (and patches) through the chamber. Secondly you don't follow up with full passes of the brush through the barrel, it's more of a scrubbing action similar to what one would use on a dirty glass before putting it in the dishwasher. From everything i've been told, this can lead to nicks on the rifling. Long term barrel cleaning of this nature won't properly remove all the dirt and debri from the barrel and can potentially cause long term accuracy problems.

From there, you proceed to run 2 patches through the dirty barrel, multiple times. While this can clean out the big bulky stuff, in effect you end up smearing more of the fine grit around and leaving it in the chamber. A fresh patch should be used for each pass, multiple passes until the patch comes out clean.

You then pay next to no attention to cleaning the slide or the inside of the frame. After firing 100 rounds or more, you will have buildup on the face of the reciever around the firing pin hole and the extractor, as well as on the locking block, trigger bar, sometimes even down to the mag release. This is where Q-tips come in real handy.

I really don't mean to ocme across harsh, and i applaud you for taking the initiative on creating these videos. But i would direct anyone away from this video and more towards YouTube - Standard Gun Cleaning and Springfield XD 40 review for learning how to clean an XD.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

I guarantee you my gun is cleaner than almost any XD out there. The reason I didn't go through a thorough cleaning is because ive cleaned it about 3 times over since my last shooting. Also the brass brush wont leave nicks and is meant to dislodge any powder/debris. Trust me, after a few passes this is achieved. Also I say in the video that you will have to use mroe patches than the two i demonstrate with, and they have solvent on them so I definitly used enough solvent.

HOW TO:

HOW TO:

HOW TO:

16" Mid-length AR-15

Old 09-21-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 28400
Fair enough. I don't mean to get into a debate over cleaning procedures. You asked for a critique and i gave you a fair one from my point of view based on knowledge that has been passed down to me from people who's knowledge and experience i respect. You point out that you are cleaning an already clean gun. I just wanted to express my thoughts that your procedure might not be adequate for a thorough cleaning, on a gun that has been used and is fairly dirty.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:11 AM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

point taken.

HOW TO:

HOW TO:

HOW TO:

16" Mid-length AR-15

Old 09-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 9164
I agree with what Kais said. That video is not how I was taught how to clean my gun.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

It was a quick cleaning, i just got back today from the AZ meet and cleaned it completely differently than i did on the video.

HOW TO:

HOW TO:

HOW TO:

16" Mid-length AR-15

Old 09-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 9164
maybe you should edit your video to reflect this. you should also add a warning message that cleaning that way may damage your firearm
Old 09-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 26062
This is not the way I clean my XD but if it works for you, go for it.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:16 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 16016
About the only thing you did correctly in that video was wipe it down at the end, everything else was done wrong or out of order.

If you're going to position this as an "instructional video" you should remove that one and make a new video that shows how to properly clean a gun. I know you've said it was already clean, and what you did was just a quick cleaning, but what you showed on there was pretty worthless as a "how to" for someone trying to get information on how to clean their XD.

Hope that doesn't come across as too harsh, I do think it's cool that you took the time to try and make a helpful resource.
Mosin-Nagant 91/30
Saiga 7.62x39 16"
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
cleaning an xd9
cleaning springfield xd 9

cleaning xd9

how to clean

how to clean a springfield xd

how to clean a springfield xd 9mm

how to clean an xd9

how to clean springfield xd

how to clean springfield xd 9

how to clean springfield xd 9mm

how to clean xd 9mm
how to clean xd9
proper cleaning springfield xd
springfield xd9 cleaning
xd9 cleaning
Click on a term to search for related topics.