• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How to Replace an XD Striker Retainer Pin!

This is a discussion on How to Replace an XD Striker Retainer Pin! within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; Written by husker_t INTRODUCTION The XD striker retainer pin is the small roll pin you see in the hole in the top of your slide, ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance » How to Replace an XD Striker Retainer Pin!

Old 02-18-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Member #: 3
Lightbulb How to Replace an XD Striker Retainer Pin!

Written by husker_t

INTRODUCTION

The XD striker retainer pin is the small roll pin you see in the hole in the top of your slide, just forward of your rear sight. This pin holds the striker in place, and is an item that will periodically break and need to be replaced. A new pin only costs a dollar or so, and you can replace it yourself by following these instructions. It probably makes sense to keep a few of these pins on hand.

REMOVAL OF OLD/BROKEN PIN

1. Disassemble slide, per these instructions:

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/disassembly/slidedisassembly.html

2. Important: Use a 3/32nd roll pin punch, and tap old retainer pin out from the BOTTOM of the slide UPWARD toward top of slide. The retainer pin hole is tapered on the bottom side, so don't tap it out toward the bottom.

REPLACEMENT OF NEW PIN

1. Get a new pin from a place that sells XD parts, such as one of these:

* XD-HS2000 Store
* Pistol Gear store

2. Place some masking tape on top of your slide around the retainer pin hole to protect the finish while you work.

Squeeze or "crimp" one end of the retainer pin just enough to get it started. Some have had to crimp the pin until the edges were touching.

4. Drive the pin in from the top of slide, either using a regular hammer or mallet alone, or a cupped punch. If you just tap it in with the hammer alone, there's less risk of marring the slide.

5. Once retainer pin is nearly flush with slide, use a drift punch to seat the pin just below the surface of the slide.

6. Touch up the retainer pin's top with gun bluing.

Proverbs 3:5-7 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil."
Kermee is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-11-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 23911
Thanks so much for this advice, plus the instructions. I'm printing it off for future reference.
arover2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 7118
pic would be agreat help also
gunwolf72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 23898
YouTube - Introducing the Springfield XD pistol
Old 08-18-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 26613
I just wasted like an hour watching that video. I already knew how to do it all but I couldn't help but watch all the different parts, hoping somehow I would find something new out about my gun.

"Out of every ONE HUNDRED men, TEN should not be here, EIGHTY are nothing but targets,
NINE are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they the battle make."

"Ah, but the ONE, ONE of them is a WARRIOR, and he will bring the others back."

Heraclitus 500 BC

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ
The DRis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 1848
Thanks for this useful sticky; one caveat as my roll pin just came apart today at the range. I had already ordered several of these pins a year or more ago (I own 3 XDs) as I have heard about these coming apart. If the pin has literally broken (and it's not just a loose pin that habitually backs out) there may be pieces laying in and around the firing pin.

My roll pin came out in pieces and I rather optimistically figured I'd just punch a new one in. The remaining broken piece prevented the firing pin/sear from functioning, which in turn caused a jam during reassembly of the slide. I couldn't get the slide all the way forward, nor could I dismount the slide! I had to remove the rear striker indicator plate, striker indictor pin, then drift the roll pin out through the mag well using a long punch. Once the pin was out, the firing pin was free, and the slide could be removed from the frame. When the firing pin came out a 3/16 piece of broken roll pin came with it.

It's tricky getting the rear plate back on, it helps to put the slide in a (padded ) vice, and use a screw driver (slotted) to keep the striker pin indicator and bushing compressed so you can with the free hand insert the plate.

Stll lot's better than sending it to Spingfield!

Last edited by Margana; 10-10-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Margana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 4606
is this common to see broken ones???
Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 32102
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxccw View Post
is this common to see broken ones???
I have heard it's from dry firing.
Ordered a pack of three for my XD45c just in case and don't dry fire unless i have to.
shortydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29160
Upgraded Pins Available? Better Installation Method?

Seems this might be a design weakness? Could a better, perhaps solid replacement pin be designed? Begs the question how often the pin should be routinelly replaced? Also, what eventually happens to the striker?

Instead of pounding away using a punch and hammer, why not just use that bench vise to gently PRESS the pin in? As an unrelated example, the AR15 trigger guard roll pin SHOULD be pressed and not tapped. HB of CJ

pin upgrades? press it in? Post
HB of CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 31106
Quote:
Seems this might be a design weakness? Could a better, perhaps solid replacement pin be designed? Begs the question how often the pin should be routinelly replaced? Also, what eventually happens to the striker?

Instead of pounding away using a punch and hammer, why not just use that bench vise to gently PRESS the pin in? As an unrelated example, the AR15 trigger guard roll pin SHOULD be pressed and not tapped. HB of CJ
Having disassembled the slide I can tell you that the striker is very solid and will be fine. The pin on the other hand is a 'roll pin' because when you tap it in the lower end is compressed by the channel, which secures it into place. And as a roll (vs solid) pin it is definitely a weak point in the design.

I think an enterprising aftermarketer might be able to make an asymmetrical solid pin, but really the design depends upon the roll pin securing itself in the channel by being compressed, so any solid pin would be less securely seated.

I am going to experiment with reinforcing the roll pin by removing it, filling it with epoxy, and then replacing it...but this also might reduce how secure it is by reducing its compressibility. Another option is jamming a toothpick inside of the pin and breaking this off...I did this accidentally experimenting with using the toothpick as a punch, and I realized this might add a great deal of reinforcement to the roll pin (and is also fairly compressible).

I had to pinch the heck out of a new roll pin to get it in there, and I think gently hammering it in works better than trying to press it in. However I haven't tried the latter so I wouldn't swear to it.
anodesjoinops is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
how to replace retainer role pin in xd pistol
how to replace roll pin on xd9
how to replace striker retainer pin on xdm 40

install springfield striker retainer pin

installing roll pin in xd
prp striker retainer pin instructions
replace striker pin on xdm
spring field xd striker retainer pin

springfield xd striker retainer pin

what size roll pin is needed for a striker retainer pin in a springfield armory xdm

xd striker retainer pin

xd striker retaining pin
xd9 striker retainer pin

xdm striker retainer pin

xdm striker retainer pin replacement
xds striker retaining pin replacement schedule
Click on a term to search for related topics.