• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

curious... can too much oil hurt the gun?

This is a discussion on curious... can too much oil hurt the gun? within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; I'm still very new to guns and I am going to attempt to clean it in a little bit. I've already had the gun apart ...

Old 11-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 21854
curious... can too much oil hurt the gun?

I'm still very new to guns and I am going to attempt to clean it in a little bit. I've already had the gun apart and back together 100000 times so thats not what worries me. I just want to make sure how much oil to use.

thanks
duality is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 20497
Great question I just cleaned my guns last night and had the same question and was getting ready to post. But you beat me to it. Can't wait for responses.
Remington 870 express 12 gauge
Savage .17 BVTS
Old old .22 rifle
DPMS AP4 .308
PSE Brute 50-60#

"Worse $hit happens to better people" - Me.
ColoXD_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 21461
I'm no expert...

...but too much oil has the bad side affect of collecting junk. I have been told that you should use it sparingly and only where it is truly needed, such as metal on metal wearing areas. But if you use the good stuff, it only requires a 'drop' or two, literally.
"Procreation Certification" - Me
Druac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 6823
General rule I follow

-Guns that get little use or safe queens
Light coat of oil on all parts, meaning it looks wet but but can't draw in it, same with magazines

-carry pistols (I live in the desert)
Internal parts of the slide are moderately coated with oil, you cant draw in it, but it looks wet, Trigger springs and frame internals light coated with oil, I use a dry lube on my carry mags, I use Pedros it's commonly used on high end bicycle chains.

-Rifles and shotgun
Light coat on all part, A little heavier if it gonna be in a wet environment, lighter if it's really cold.

-AR
WET I like to run my bolt with enough oil that it's not running, but wet enough I can draw in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Force and mind are opposites; morality ends where a gun begins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

O
ne Big A$$ Mistake America

xd4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 11693
As long as you keep the striker channel dry and free of lube, youre good to go.

the only issue with too much oil or lube is if it makes your grip slippery.

Way more underlubed guns out there than over lubed ones.
olyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 16175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druac View Post
...but too much oil has the bad side affect of collecting junk.
Bullseye. The hard carbon powder residue and general crud inside the gun dissolves into the oil.... and oil plus particle residue = polishing compound.

I generall use grease and oil blended because it holds the lube where it needs to be. Oil basically just runs straight south.

Last edited by bountyhunter; 11-26-2007 at 06:59 PM.
bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 6088
Maybe if you shoot it so much the oil catches fire!!

USPSA

I am not an expert I just shoot like one.
The Knight Of Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 21268
I always love watching the oil smoke out of the gun after the first round or two.

I don't know how much is too much but I've been advised that keeping things more wet is better than too dry.

After cleaning, I use Break Free CLP on a patch, send it through the barrel and give everything a wipe. I put a "drop" of synthetic grease on each of the frame rails, locking block, and the part of the firing pin/striker that extends out under the slide. Reassemble, cycle the action a few times, wipe off all external excess with a clean paper towel and ready to go. If you were to disassemble the gun after that (even after time had passed) it would still look "wet" inside.

I use my guns often and keep them clean (a buddy was looking inside one of them that had hundreds if not over a thousand rounds through it already and asked if it had ever been fired -- clean) and so far never had a problem with attracting too much dirt.
"Those who answer the call to serve may never be fully understood by those who never hear that call. Whether warfighter, citizen soldier or police officer, should appreciation not manifest itself take heart that the mission is always one of service, and by serving faithfully, courageously and often at great sacrifice, the privilege of service is its own highest reward. You have received the highest honor having been entrusted with the privilege of serving; there can be no greater reward."
Philadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 20402
You want to make sure the firing pin channel is dry because you don't want that gummed up and so it doesn't spit at you.
samman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #10
XDTalk Member

Member #: 21678
Ok well with every weapon I have, whenever I clean it, I take a cloth and put a little bit of oil onto it, then rub down the interior of the weapon. Just enough so that the parts have a slight "sheen" to them. But not so much as to where it's running off of it. Too much oil will cause it to collect dust and then goo up the inside of your weapon. Which then leads to jams, etc etc. But that's just me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
air guns how much oil is too much
can a gun be lubed too much?
can over oiling a pistol hurt accuracy?
can you oil a gun too much
can you put too much oil on a gun
how much gun oil to use
how much oil should i put on my gun

how much oil should i use on my gun

how much oil should you put on a gun
how wet with oil should i oil my guns
is it bad to over oil your gun
is too much oil bad for a gun
too much oil in gun

too much oil on gun

using too much oil in rifle
will a lot of oil hurt a gun
Click on a term to search for related topics.