• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Fix for Slide Stuck

This is a discussion on Fix for Slide Stuck within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; I'd been seeing quite a few of threads about slides being stuck back because the guide rod and spring had been put in off center ...

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Fix for Slide Stuck

I'd been seeing quite a few of threads about slides being stuck back because the guide rod and spring had been put in off center so I decided to duplicate the problem and see how I could most easily fix the resulting stuck slide. Here's what I found. First off I was able to duplicate the problem twice and both times I was able to fix it the following way.

What causes the slide to stick? Reassembling the slide with the guide rod off center was what I did. The following pictures show the guide rod and spring as they should be put back in and the way it's put in to cause the problem. One side note: I tried this 5 times and was only able to get the slide to stick twice, so it doesn't happen all the time.

The correct way to put the guide rod on. Notice how the guide rod is in the center of the barrel lug.

Second picture shows the guide rod slightly off center, this is what caused the slide to stick. One note you can "feel" when the guide rod is off center because when you put the slide on and pull it back it has a mushy feel to it.

Grab the gun backwards (pic) and bang it in a downward and forward motion until the slide and frame light up.

You can then tell by looking at the barrel breech where the feed ramp is. You'll see where it has been pushed down below the locking block. Notice the feed ramp is under the locking block.

For me it took a couple hard taps on the slide to get it forward into position. Make sure it aligns with the back of the frame see below.

Once the slide and frame are aligned you will notice that the barrel is still down and the breech is not locked.

You'll also notice once slide is forced back to the normal place that the barrel and guide rod still stick out a bit.

After getting the frame and slide back to normal position just pulled the trigger to dry fire the gun and the slide will come of as in a normal disassembly.

Again it took a couple of whacks on the carpet to force the slide to align with the frame but once it was all it took to get the frame off was a trigger pull.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity

Last edited by agalindo; 07-10-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Remove Ads
Old 07-14-2007, 11:48 PM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 18481
That's what happened to me. Did the same thing to fix it. But it also jammed on a new Fire Dragon Ported bbl. So I have to take it in to the gunsmith to have the bbl fitted. Thanks for posting this thread.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
XDTalk 15K Member

Bump.
Quote:
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
Old 10-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 17782
Guess I've been lucky so far...must my naturual tendency toward anal retentiveness that make me center the guide rod.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:47 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 20321
I had a similar situation but really really jammed it up. I called SA and they had a new approach that worked really easily. They had me use a crescent wrench and pull the guide rod forward. In my case that didn't work so well so I tapped the crescent wrench lightly with a hammer and poof did the trick. If you want more details you will have to call SA as I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be giving out any advice. The customer support at SA is great.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 20943
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBOWWOW View Post
Guess I've been lucky so far...must my naturual tendency toward anal retentiveness that make me center the guide rod.
Yes, as I've said MANY times, being AR (AR=detail oreiented) is something most of us could use a little more of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Founding Life Member:

Senior Founding Member:
- Helping Californians Legally Obtain A Concealed Carry License

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein
Old 10-22-2007, 08:44 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 20998
Being new to the XD, thanks for the info. I just field-stripped it again just to make sure it was spot on.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 21454
Cool 3, 4 Or 5 Inch??

I have an XD9 Tactical. I've never had any problems with it.
Is this problem limited to the 3 and 4 inch since they have the captured spring?
Old 10-26-2007, 03:31 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 11346
Very good especially with the nice pics. Thanks for posting that.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
XDTalk 15K Member

I'm pretty sure it happens with all of them. I remember some posts of this happening with the Don's guide rod and spring too.
Quote:
Quote:
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
fixed stuck pistol slide
how to fix sticking slide on bb pistol
how to fix stuck slide on auto pistol
how to fix the slide on a j. a. nine 9mm
how to open a stuck sig sauer mosquito slide
how to remove stuck slide from xd9
sig sauer .380 slide stuck

sig sauer mosquito slide stuck

springfield xd 40 stuck
springfield xd slide stuck
springfield xdm barrel stuck on slide
springfield xdm stuck slide
Click on a term to search for related topics.