• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Coloring in your engravings: the Write Up

This is a discussion on Coloring in your engravings: the Write Up within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by jmilitano Phil, that silver came out well. Cant beat the price either. Partdeux, I was told by several people that acetone based ...

Old 10-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #871
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 62643
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilitano View Post
Phil, that silver came out well. Cant beat the price either.

Partdeux, I was told by several people that acetone based remover would also remove the finish off of some slides, so I just went the safe route and used non-acetone.
The acetone will remove the oil, but not the finish. It appears by rewiping with a silicone cloth to restore the color.
partdeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #872
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston56 View Post
Has anybody colored the engravings on their XD mags? What would be safe to color these in with? Kinda of woundering if any of the paint color going into the mag well could get into the internals of the firearm??
I did the numbers on two mags, still struggling with the SA logo, which is shallower to make it simple.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #873
XDTalk 1K Member

Here they are... First one, the BiTone doesn't doesn't show the SA as being highlighted... need to look at it again

Done in silver

Looks good in person, picture doesn't do it justice

Too funny, didn't notice I have a little more cleaning to do until looking at the pic... damn camera

Ok, it was SWMBO request for gold to match the trigger... It's official, I HATE gold metal flake, it got EVERYWHERE, including all over my XDm9

Going to work on the SA logo again on both the mags and guns
Old 10-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #874
XDTalk Member

Member #: 63982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy View Post
do you just blog it on over the lettering and wait for it to dry?
in one of jmilitano photos it looks like there is just a large white glob over the XD
do you wait for the nail polish to dry all the way?
do you start cleaning before it is all the way dry?
the more you blob on, the more you have to clean off... I used a small piece of plastic with flat end. touched the flat end to the nail polish and used it to scrape over the engravings to fill them while wiping off excess on the flat surface of the slide.

whatever remained on the flat surface, I removed with the paper tower sprayed with brake part cleaner. a Q-tip would work also.

I think I did let the first coat dry completely before wiping. I did have to re-touch different spots a couple times. on those re-touches, I didn't wait for the polish to dry.
phil271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #875
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 64299
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil271 View Post
I think I did let the first coat dry completely before wiping. I did have to re-touch different spots a couple times. on those re-touches, I didn't wait for the polish to dry.
Aye pretty much what I did myself. I let the second coat get about 3/4 dry (it was still a little sticky when touched) and I wiped it off with hard plastic piece, this allowed me to "push" paint into the etchings with the plastic piece.

My Logo wasn't quite as deep as I would have liked either, but it turned out decent.

Last edited by jmilitano; 10-25-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: spelling
jmilitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #876
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 45978
this is a long going post, im sure someone has answered, but anyone have luck with nail polish>?
jink122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #877
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jink122 View Post
this is a long going post, im sure someone has answered, but anyone have luck with nail polish>?
you might consider reading the entire thread like I did... or just back up 4 posts and see my results
Old 10-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #878
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 64299
Quote:
Originally Posted by jink122 View Post
My post as well, I used French White nail polish.
jmilitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #879
XDTalk 1K Member

Just for grins, I used gun cleaner instead of acetone, seemed to work a bit better, not quite as aggressive. But, I think it needs to be followed up with a light wipe with acetone.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:02 AM   #880
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 59594
Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Ok, it was SWMBO request for gold to match the trigger... It's official, I HATE gold metal flake, it got EVERYWHERE, including all over my XDm9
LoL same issues I had with the yellow nail polish w/ yellow flakes. I didn't know it had flakes until I had it on the slide , but I'm glad it all worked out... good job on the engravings bro...

~Lana Turner~
XD9tacticalGlock17L is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

coloring, crayon, engravings, nail polish

Search tags for this page

adding color to my gun logo

bushmaster color fill

coloring engravings

coloring engravings on a xd

coloring in the writing on your lc9

gold paint gun slide
gun lettering xd

how to color engraving on gun

how to color gun engravings

how to paint gun engraving

what to.use to paint engraving on pistol?

write it out p84 4am

write it out page 84 4am

write it up page 88

write it up page 88 2as

xdm engraving coloring

Click on a term to search for related topics.