• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Breech feed; slide wont close when released slowly. Normal?

This is a discussion on Breech feed; slide wont close when released slowly. Normal? within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; I will use critical thinking well before I take written word as Gospel. I'm not as much up on faith as some. I look at ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance » Breech feed; slide wont close when released slowly. Normal?

Old 11-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #31
Old Timer

Member #: 24504
I will use critical thinking well before I take written word as Gospel. I'm not as much up on faith as some. I look at the design, critically, and i judged it to be acceptable. Why else make an extractor that flexes than to allow it - DESIGN IT - to flex? If they didn't want it to flex, wouldn't you expect the genius that drew it up design it NOT TO? Hell a smart designer who didn't want the extractor to bend or what-have-you would have milled the damned thing into the slide instead!

OH, but the O-M says it's within the realm of remote possibility that it will break, cause a slam fire, or utter mayhem will ensue... so forget any critical thinking that a smart fella would use. We're telling you like it is. Like the New Testament, you better believe it and that's how it is, because we wrote it to be said as so.

...and they keep marching off the cliff...
Knightslugger is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #32
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 44190
Knight, first off let me apologize. I re-read my post and realized I made a comment that implied I was questioning your intelligence or called it into question. That was not my intention at all, and I am sorry for that. I also agree that the owner's manuals are going to be filled with a lot of lawyer-inspired CYA talk. I'm not so silly as to think that the US isn't a litigious society, so I do agree there's going to be a lot of CYA in the manual.

The extractor is going to be designed to allow it to snap over the rim of a cartridge, simply because the manufacturer wouldn't want their pistol, which may be needed in a critical situation, to be completely disabled if the magazine(s) gets knocked out of commission, goes missing, or gets wedged in the owner's butt crack with no hope of retrieval. Kind of a "last-resort" sort of situation, if you will.

I just know that from years of 1911 ownership, to include some gunsmith training, that internal extractors are something you don't want to abuse. Once they lose tension or become damaged, your pistol is nothing more than a club with very poor reach. For that reason alone, I strongly suggest that folks avoid breechloading their XDs and 1911's. A couple of times won't be catastrophic, but something will go awry if it's repeated.

So, yeah, sorry about the miscommunication earlier. My bad.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

breech, feed, slide

Search tags for this page
close breech on xdm
glock 23 wont close fully
glock slide jams when releasing slowly
glock slide won't close
glock slide wont close with trigger pulled
how to load a round through the breach glock

racking slide slowly

slide close
slide wont close 34 glock
slide wont feed first round
winchester 1400 breach bolt not moving forward when released
xd talk breech feed slide
Click on a term to search for related topics.