• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Breech feed; slide wont close when released slowly. Normal?

This is a discussion on Breech feed; slide wont close when released slowly. Normal? within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; Couldn't have answered better myself....

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance » Breech feed; slide wont close when released slowly. Normal?

Old 11-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 78082
Couldn't have answered better myself.

NRA member.
Poneill.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
XDTalk Member

Member #: 81713
Thanks for all the responses! such a helpful community here

my question has been answered perfectly. with the oil situation, i did read the manual and watched videos of people cleaning and i just wast sure about the amount to apply. i guess ill eventually figure out the happy medium as i do more cleanings. and yes the wear looks to be normal wear that i have seen on other handguns i have used, i just wasnt sure how long it took to start appearing (hence why i thought i maybe wasnt putting on enough oil to lubricate the parts causing fast wearing).

ill stick to loading from the magazine from now on
z90808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 24504
*facepalm*

okay. spring steel is designed to flex over and over and over. It is it's inhearent nature. for the amount of flexing required to break that steel from flex... you know what, it's not worth debating. It's not going to break from the occasional drop. debate about it all you like, it's semantics.

Ray, you should rethink what you told me. think about the process an AR/AK goes through in slow motion. the cartridge doesn't seat inside the bolt until it is centered in the chamber. at that point the hook of the extracter MUST ride over the rim of the case, and is maintained by a spring.
Knightslugger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
XDTalk Member

Member #: 81713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
spring steel is designed to flex over and over and over. It is it's inhearent nature.
i thought by the looks of the extractor that it had enough room to flex around the lip of the shell. using the rounded part as a swivel point.
Attached Thumbnails
Breech feed; slide wont close when released slowly. Normal?-untitled.png  
z90808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 24504
it doesn't swivel.
Knightslugger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #16
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 33132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poneill.45 View Post
It doesn't have the same mechanics as a rifle, you shouldn't breech feed it. You risk chipping your extractor, which is what's holding it from going all the way into battery. You're gonna see wear on the surfaces no matter what, it's inevitable. But all you're really seeing is some of the coating wearing off, not metal, which is completely to be expected. Read the manual, it tells you where to oil, and how much to use.
Not all rifles use the same system. There are bolt rifles that use the push feed and there are rifles that use the controlled feed like the xd/xdm.

don
dglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #17
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 78082
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglock View Post
Not all rifles use the same system. There are bolt rifles that use the push feed and there are rifles that use the controlled feed like the xd/xdm.

don
Yep

NRA member.
Poneill.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #18
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 71542
yes it's normal I try to avoid it as it's not to hard to just top off the mag after racking a round in. none of mine close easily when a round is already in.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #19
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 80996
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayikeo2 View Post
Wrong: The rifle extractors slip over the cartridge befor the bolt enters an enclosed area. It is free to move to the side because the side is open. When you try to breach load an XD and drop a round into the chamber the tip of the extractor enters an enclosed space before it tries to override the case. This enclosed area does not have enough free space to allow the extractor to move over the rim without binding. Every time you load it that way the extractor is squeesed past the case and causes a binding force. This will eventually break the extractor.
The XD and XDm must be different. On my XDs, the extractor is never enclosed.
Derek79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #20
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 44190
The XD's extractor design is very similar to the original internal extractor design of the 1911. You should never breachload either of these two designs. Besides, why are we arguing that's it's "ok" to breechload the XD when the owner's manual expressly states not to?

1911 guys know that's the quickest way to screw up what is arguably the most critical part of the 1911 in regards to reliability. Even if you don't break or chip the extractor claw, you're screwing up the tension of the extractor by bending it that way.

External extractors that have a pivot point and a spring (such as AR's and some other pistols) aren't as sensitive to breachloading. Me? I'll load from a magazine because I don't like the chances of a malfunction if I munch up the extractor. You want to breechload? Get a Sharps rifle and have at it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

breech, feed, slide

Search tags for this page
breech loaded glock
close breech on xdm
glock 21 extractor wont
glock 23 wont close fully
glock slide jams when releasing slowly
glock slide won't close
glock slide wont close with trigger pulled
how to load a round through the breach glock
my 9mm slide wont close
my glock 21 wont fully close??

racking slide slowly

slide close
slide wont close 34 glock
slide wont feed first round
winchester 1400 breach bolt not moving forward when released
xd talk breech feed slide
Click on a term to search for related topics.