• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Rust issues on the slide...

This is a discussion on Rust issues on the slide... within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; I have a Springfield XD Subcompact .40. I've been having some major rust issues with the slide as well as the grip safety. I've been ...

Old 06-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 74580
Rust issues on the slide...

I have a Springfield XD Subcompact .40. I've been having some major rust issues with the slide as well as the grip safety. I've been keeping it clean and oiled atleast every two weeks sinse I started noticing the rust. I've own numerous makes/models of guns and have NEVER had this issue like the XD...so I don't think im necessarily doing anything wrong. I uses Hoppes solvent and oil. I want to know if anyone else has had similar issues and what was done to take care of it?

Thanks.

(By the way, im new to xd talk so if im not posting this in the correct spot please let me know.)
ciprimm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 67425
There's a whole subforum dedicated to rust.

How do you store the weapon? If it's in the XD/XDm case with foam, change your storage method.
shatnerglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 74580
I appologise for posting in the wrong spot. Now I know for next time. I stored it in a hard case with foam...oiled and cleaned constantly....never put away wet. Yesterday I ordered a pelican case in attemp to keep rust off.
ciprimm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

I'd keep it away from any foam. Even a Pelican case.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 1513
A pelican case will seal in the moisture, buy some anti rust tabs (VPCI) to put in the case with the gun.
ajamesp51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 45398
Thumbs up

Yeah, as they have stated, try to not store them in cases. There is no air flow to dry them out.

It may be best if you acquire yourself a safe a or cabinet that you can store it on a pistol rack. This will help ensure you don't continue to have the issues you have had.

Here is Florida, since it is always so humid, we oil the slides inside and out and then store them. Another option is to rub one of those silicone infused rags on the slide before storing.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
szhttm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 73486
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciprimm23 View Post
... I uses Hoppes solvent and oil. I want to know if anyone else has had similar issues and what was done to take care of it?
It is possible you are not cleaning off the residue from the Hoppes solvent using 92% alcohol and as a result, the solvent fumes are breaking down the foam in your storage case, causing an acidic environment for rust to form.

In amateur comparison tests, Hoppes oil was not that great at preventing rust. There are better alternatives when rust formation becomes an issue.

You did not mention if you have a Bi-Tone (stainless) slide. There seems to more rust complaints about the Bi-Tone slide because I suspect Springfield uses a higher carbon content in its stainless than other manfacturers.

Always keep a desiccant pack in your gun case to remove the moisture that gets trapped in there. Replace those packs every few months.

If you live in a house having no children living or visiting there, then consider storing your gun in an acrylic (not cotton) gun sock. This acrylic gun sock seems to be one of the popular ones available:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Gun-Storage/Sleeves-Camo|/pc/104792580/c/104730480/sc/104576580/Cabelas-Knit-Gun-Socks/741486.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN %3D1100214%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd741486&WTz_l=SBC %3BBRprd741486%3Bcat104576580
Stratajema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 73191
Hum...would love to see some photos of the issue. If I was in a humid environment and storing guns for a while I'd have them in a sealed case with hydrosorbent. Also find a new gun oil to protect the weapon better. There are some test videos out there comparing different oils and there is a wide variance in how well they do.
Montourage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 74420
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatnerglass View Post
I'd keep it away from any foam. Even a Pelican case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamesp51 View Post
A pelican case will seal in the moisture, buy some anti rust tabs (VPCI) to put in the case with the gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by szhttm View Post
Yeah, as they have stated, try to not store them in cases. There is no air flow to dry them out.

It may be best if you acquire yourself a safe a or cabinet that you can store it on a pistol rack. This will help ensure you don't continue to have the issues you have had.

Here is Florida, since it is always so humid, we oil the slides inside and out and then store them. Another option is to rub one of those silicone infused rags on the slide before storing.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
I concur. Storing a gun in a case for extended periods will increase the possibility of corrosion. A silicone cloth is a good idea, also store the gun with some type of moisture absorbing pouches. Silica gel is a good start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
JTBTACTICAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

I'll add to my posts by saying I have a large safe with dessicant packets in it. All guns are on a rack and wiped down with an oily rag. I have a dehumidifying rod on the way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

cleaning, oil, rust, slide

Search tags for this page
issues with xd9 slide rusting
remove rust from children slide

rust

rust on slide of springfield xdm
rust on xd slide
rust slide
springfield xd problems

springfield xd slide rust

springfield xd stainless .40
springfield xd9 sub compact issues
stainless springfield xd 40 slide rust
xd inside slide rust
xdm bi tone rust problems
xdm case foam absorb oil
xdm case foam rust
Click on a term to search for related topics.