• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Rust issues on the slide...

This is a discussion on Rust issues on the slide... within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by JTBTACTICAL I concur. Storing a gun in a case for extended periods will increase the possibility of corrosion. A silicone cloth is ...

Old 06-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 73191
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTBTACTICAL View Post
I concur. Storing a gun in a case for extended periods will increase the possibility of corrosion. A silicone cloth is a good idea, also store the gun with some type of moisture absorbing pouches. Silica gel is a good start.
After researching rust I think a sealed case and thus environment are best. Rust is caused by a combination of metal, water, and oxygen. Obviously we need the metal(our gun) there. But we can limit the oxygen and water in a sealed case. Less so in a circulating case as it makes the oxygen and dehumidifiers less effective if new air and thus oxygen and water are allowed to constantly add to the environment.

So if you wanted to get the best storage environment for your guns. A sealed case that includes a dehumidifier and oxygen absorber. Reduce and eliminate the elements that cause rust and you reduce rust as well.

In addition keeping the metal well oiled keeps both oxygen and water from being able to contact the metal. So don't put it away dry!

I will add though that the reason sealed environments can work less well is when actions to prevent rust are not taken with a sealed case. Reason for this is changes in temperature cause condensation to collect. If a case is sealed and the temperature changes then water could condensate on the weapon. This is why for my expensive digital camera it is stored in a pelican case with a 40 gram hydrosorbant. Especially helpful when taking plane rides to protect gear.
Montourage is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

cleaning, oil, rust, slide

Search tags for this page
ejection port rust
remove rust from children slide

rust

rust on xd slide

rust slide

springfield xd problems

springfield xd slide rust

xd pistols rusting
xd rust
xd slide tumbler forum rust
xdm bi tone rust problems
xdm case foam absorb oil
Click on a term to search for related topics.