• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How much oil when cleaning

This is a discussion on How much oil when cleaning within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; Hopps to clean, then put some rem oil on a rag and wipe and another rag to get the excess off. I use a q-tip ...

Old 03-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #11
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 61251
Hopps to clean, then put some rem oil on a rag and wipe and another rag to get the excess off. I use a q-tip and just barely dab the slide groove on each side and that it.
Crashagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-27-2012, 03:09 AM   #12
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 57071
i use GibbsBrandLubricant (.com). No oil, thus not a collector of dirt. won't gel in cold weather ( i live in wis. and will shoot at the range even in winter). leaves a few microns of the substance which will prevent rust. it repels water. will use nothing else. just IMO. i understand it's got some heptane in its mixture. haven't discussed that with my gun show dealer.
mingansr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
XDTalk Member

Member #: 69555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashagn View Post
Hopps to clean, then put some rem oil on a rag and wipe and another rag to get the excess off. I use a q-tip and just barely dab the slide groove on each side and that it.
This is my method to a tee.
Boomstk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 70830
On my XD, I use enough CLP to get the burnt powder off everything, wipe it off with a clean rag, then go over everything with an oiled microfiber cloth (one of those presaturated cloths). I don't grease the slide to frame groove, because there's no point in doing so when it's not metal to metal.

On my sig, it took a little more, cleaning, then wiping, then oiling each part, then greasing the slide... she sure was picky, and made sure to let me know if I missed something.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #15
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 71343
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVMA_Dutch View Post
On my XD, I use enough CLP to get the burnt powder off everything, wipe it off with a clean rag, then go over everything with an oiled microfiber cloth (one of those presaturated cloths). I don't grease the slide to frame groove, because there's no point in doing so when it's not metal to metal.

On my sig, it took a little more, cleaning, then wiping, then oiling each part, then greasing the slide... she sure was picky, and made sure to let me know if I missed something.
Correct me if I am wrong but the slide does contact metal on the frame, the locking block area is metal. A dab of lubrication in this area seems adequate.
mountainbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #16
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 33226
Have you ever thought of using grease? It works really well and lasts much longer than oil.
lawrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 70830
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainbilly View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but the slide does contact metal on the frame, the locking block area is metal. A dab of lubrication in this area seems adequate.
Sorry, I was talking about the ridge on the frame that the slide rides in, not the striker/trigger/slide lock area.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #18
XDTalk Member

Member #: 49460
My XD40sc has 6300 rounds now and my two XDm40s have 2000 each. I have used 10w-40 Castrol Syntec on them from the beginning and I can't detect any wear beyond the bluing on the barrel. The pistols always work. I do detail strip the frame every time I shoot and the slide about every third time (600 rounds or so). I use a light coat of oil on all metal components and have been very happy.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #19
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 33226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs1961 View Post
My XD40sc has 6300 rounds now and my two XDm40s have 2000 each. I have used 10w-40 Castrol Syntec on them from the beginning and I can't detect any wear beyond the bluing on the barrel. The pistols always work. I do detail strip the frame every time I shoot and the slide about every third time (600 rounds or so). I use a light coat of oil on all metal components and have been very happy.
Motor oil is just as good if not better than the $10 per half ounce gimmicky stuff that's out there. M&Ps get lubed with Mobil 1 synthetic from the factory. If an engine can run at 6000+ rpm with it, our guns will be fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
lawrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #20
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 37120
No oil. Use gun grease. Only a toothpick tip dab on the slide rails and striker. Oil and grease attract dirt in a carry piece and you'll soon have a mess. I good semi should run well almost dry. Cleanliness is the key, not oil.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

cleaning, oiling, to much

Search tags for this page
best oil to wipe down polymer frame guns
can you use 3 in one oil to clean a gun
cleaning and oil xd
getting packing grease off of a mpolymer frame
how long poly frame gun last
how much oil should i put on my polymer gun

how to clean an xd 9 frame

how to clean and protect polymer guns

how to lube polymer guns

how to oil xd

motor oil on my xd

oil locations

oiling my xd9

quaker state motor oil on ar15

where to get a gun cleaned and oiled in san diego

xdtalk remoil

Click on a term to search for related topics.