• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XD40SC Slide Release Problem, Caused By Magazine?

This is a discussion on XD40SC Slide Release Problem, Caused By Magazine? within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; I'm having an issue with my new XD 40 Subcompact. As a foreword, I am using EMPTY magazines, and I am NOT pressing upwards on ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance » XD40SC Slide Release Problem, Caused By Magazine?

Old 11-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 65446
XD40SC Slide Release Problem, Caused By Magazine?

I'm having an issue with my new XD 40 Subcompact. As a foreword, I am using EMPTY magazines, and I am NOT pressing upwards on the slide release while racking the slide.

I've only had the weapon for a couple of days now, and everything is stiff. I guess it's because it's new? Anyways, most of the time when I rack the slide without the magazine in, it returns forward, cocked and ready to fire. If I place and empty magazine in the gun, the slide most always catches in the rear position. I have a hard time getting to slide release to work because I have small hands, but otherwise the gun seems to work fine. If I place a magazine in the gun and pull the slide, it will catch on the slide release. After it catches I can remove the magazine, pull on the slide and it will go forwards. It seems to me that the magazine is causing the issue.

I noticed that when the slide is forward I don't have a magazine in, the slide release can be pushed up a bit. When the slide is forward the magazine is in, the slide release can hardly be moved, but it's only able to be pushed down. I'm unsure if this is supposed to happen, but it seems bad. What if I needed to pull my gun and chamber a round? The slide generally always sticks with the magazine in.

I haven't put any ammo in the magazine yet because I am not comfortable with the gun to that point yet. I have a terrible habit of grabbing the trigger to rack the slide that I am trying to break.

If anyone knows what may be the solution to this, I'd like to know. I really want to go to the range but I am having problems trusting myself to operate the gun with the slide always catching back.
FishstiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 65431
Sounds to me like its working properly.
The magazine is supposed to push the slide release up...thats how the slide locks back when the gun is empty.
I just purchased a xd 40sc last week, and it takes a good bit of breaking in before everything seems to work without a ton of effort. On the first day, and especially before i had fired it, it was nearly impossible to drop the slide with just my thumb. After firing around 50 rounds through the gun, the operation is much smoother.
If you put ammo in the magazine, and rack the slide, it shouldnt stay back, and should be ready to fire. Everything else you said sounds like how the gun is supposed to work.

If all else fails, there is an aftermarket slide release thats a little more ergonomic you could buy to get a better grip on it
kwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 50872
without magazine in XD, when you rack the slide, it will always return to original position.

with empty mag in XD, when you rack the slide, it will always lock back. This is to simulate when shooting a mag loaded with ammo, when you shoot the last round the slide locks back.

with mag having any rounds loaded, when you rack the slide, it will chamber a round and return to original position.

unless I misunderstood something, there is nothing wrong with you gun
sschrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 65446
Alright, cool. Sorry for the lame question, but this is my first handgun. Thanks a million to you guys for the info.
FishstiK is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

magazine, release, slide, stiff, subcompact

Search tags for this page
how to fix my slide release catch
magazine problems with xd 40 subcompact
my slide release wont release after racking the slide

my xd slide will not go back

should my gun slide stay locked back when i rack it with an empty mag

sirkis sd9 mag release problem

slide release not working

springfield xd 40 slide lock wont move

springfield xd 40 slide release

when racking an empty gun should the slide stay back in the locked position

why does my springfield 40 xdm not stay cocked back after last round?

xd 40 slidewont

xd 40 subcompact slide relase and trigger problem

xd40sc

xdm 40 slide does not release with empty magazine

Click on a term to search for related topics.