• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Question about use of CLP

This is a discussion on Question about use of CLP within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; For the all in one cleaner, lube, preventatives like the most popular Break Free CLP, I have a quick question about it's use. Do you ...

Old 10-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 50872
Question about use of CLP

For the all in one cleaner, lube, preventatives like the most popular Break Free CLP, I have a quick question about it's use.

Do you spray the CLP onto the slide, barrel, etc. . .then scrub clean with a brush, then wipe off the dirt/filth. Then, do you spray more CLP onto these items as the lube/protectant aspect OR spray onto a patch and wipe down OR spray CLP onto your finger and rub onto the gun OR just leave it after wiping off the dirt/crud?

Do you run a wet patch with CLP onto it through the barrel after cleaning?

I'm a little unclear and don't want too lube/liquid stuff on the gun.
sschrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 29557
I don't trust the "all in one" aspect. Personally I use the Break Free....now Safariland, Powder Blast to clean everything, then I brass bush the barrel and breach face......Then I use the CLP as a lub/protectant, wipe if off after letting sit for a few minutes use a patch in barrel. I then grease the rails, reassemble and I'm done.
PS: CLP is a FANTASTIC lube on door hinges and knobs.....beats WD 40 (fish oil) or graphite anyday.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 28164
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEye-Want2B View Post
PS: CLP is a FANTASTIC lube on door hinges and knobs.....beats WD 40 (fish oil) or graphite anyday.
Amen on that. Exercise gear too.

Agree not the best solvent but works in a pinch. Hoppes, BoreShine, etc are better solvents.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEye-Want2B View Post
I don't trust the "all in one" aspect. Personally I use the Break Free....now Safariland, Powder Blast to clean everything, then I brass bush the barrel and breach face......Then I use the CLP as a lub/protectant, wipe if off after letting sit for a few minutes use a patch in barrel. I then grease the rails, reassemble and I'm done.
It's still Break Free. Safariland is only licensing the use of their name. Winchester has done the same thing on the BreakFree CLP sold at Wal Mart. It's nothing more than paid advertising on the Break Free label.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 63958
I use Break-Free for a maintenance cleaning and lube when the gun hasn't been fired.
Like my carry gun. If I shoot however I use hoppe's to clean, Break-Free to lube.
There is more modern products to use but I don't see them in these parts. If you don't want to use Break-Free for lube you can use something like Tri-Flow. Tri-Flow is teflon fortified and works very well. In fact 20 years ago, that's all gunshop owners talked about. Tri-Flow ! If it was good then it's still good now ! It smells like Hoppe's though.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 46422
I'm with Dead-Eye ... the right tool (or chemical) for the job. I've seen a number of instances where the "fabulous all-in-one cleaner, lube, etc., etc." chemicals gum up the firing pin channel and cause light strikes.

Cleaner (solvent) for cleaning.

Lube for lubricating.
Mudinyeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 51906
I hate CLP, simply because of the smell. I was the Armory NCOIC for a while for our unit and I ALWAYS smelled like CLP and I couldn't wash it off. It's like it soaked into your bones or something. When I used it in theater I always felt like you could smell it for miles away. It's OK for it's intended purpose but I'd rather use Hoppes.

A man who feels he must ask for freedom surrenders it by doing so.

I am a Man and for that no apology is offered.
mbquimby is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
break free clp review
break free clp vs powder blast
breakfree clp review
clp cleaner
clp cleaner review
clp gun cleaner
clp gun cleaner review
how to apply clp
how to use safariland break free clp
safariland break free clp

safariland break free clp review

safariland break free clp reviews

safariland clp

safariland clp break free

safariland clp review

safariland clp reviews
Click on a term to search for related topics.