• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Aftermarket barrels

This is a discussion on Aftermarket barrels within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; Has anyone had any trouble with a drop-in barrel from Storm Lake or Bar-sto? I have been planning have a smith or Springfield do it ...

Old 08-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 41151
Aftermarket barrels

Has anyone had any trouble with a drop-in barrel from Storm Lake or Bar-sto? I have been planning have a smith or Springfield do it for $300 or replacing it with a XDm, but paying half that to try it myself sounds attractive if its likely to work. I am happy with the barrel I have, But the wear on the lug looks like its going to chip soon like I have seen on other barrels. I bought the gun used so its not covered. Already looked into that.
jmb3675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-19-2011, 02:44 AM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 55903
I have a ss drop-in from Bar Sto in my XDm 45. Have put 500+ rds through it with no issues. I was apprehensive at first,but when the barrel came and truly "dropped in" I knew I was good to go. Hope you have same luck if you decide to take the plunge.
Triplblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 27366
Been wondering the same.
There's so many different after market ones...

Some just plain look bad.

Bar-Sto, hmm...

My Cats Support the 2nd Amendment
NRA Life Member
DAV
Diocoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 33435
I have a BarSto threaded barrel on my XDM 9mm open gun. Well over 5000 rounds with no issues.

Colt / Wilson Combat Commander 45acp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Bansheex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 33132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb3675 View Post
Has anyone had any trouble with a drop-in barrel from Storm Lake or Bar-sto? I have been planning have a smith or Springfield do it for $300 or replacing it with a XDm, but paying half that to try it myself sounds attractive if its likely to work. I am happy with the barrel I have, But the wear on the lug looks like its going to chip soon like I have seen on other barrels. I bought the gun used so its not covered. Already looked into that.
I have both bar-sto and firedragon barrels in .357 sig and 400 corbon, all are quality, drop in fit and work fine.

don
dglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 43119
I have a Storm Lake "drop in" for my XD9 Tactical. It "dropped" right in and functions perfectly.
Schoentown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 49858
Take a look at EKF Fire Dragon also: Springfield XDSUB/XDS/XDT/XDM

"So...they say you have a monster? A curse upon this land?? I am ripper, tearer, slasher, gouger. I am the teeth in the darkness, the challenge in the night. Mine is strength, and lust and power. I am Beowulf!"- Anglo-Saxon Nowell Codex

μολὼν λαβέ
N.E. Tx.XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 41151
Thanks for the replies. I have heard there are a few different barrel lug designs. Will that be an issue buying a new barrel?
jmb3675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 27336
Although shipping mistakes do occassionally happen, if you order the correct 'drop-in' barrel for your pistol, it will normally fit. There are always occasions where the specs of the pistol all stack one way and the barrel specs another, where fitting will be required. But the better mfgs seem reasonable on exchanges if you have not ground or filed on the barrel.
Just remember to get a 'drop-in' fit (95% or better) and high functional reliability, that just means the fitment clearances are intentionally undersized (sloppy). If you are buying for maximum accuracy and spending $$ on a new barrel that does not have any better tolerances than the stock barrel, there is no net gain. Fitment for improved accuracy is going to require starting with an oversized truely 'match' barrel and carefully fitting it to the individual pistol with minimum tolerance clearances. This does have the accompanying effect of reduced reliability in other than ideal clean conditions and may also require limiting your ammo choices to just those that feed into a tighter chamber. Drop-in fit (same caliber) replacement barrels may be slightly tighter than stock and normally do not have functional problems. Some are more picky about ammo.
Drop-in fit conversion barrels have the convenience of not needing fitting but are generally not much, or any, more accurate than the original barrel, and can have reduced reliability due to the new ammo size being less than the original breech. (40sw/357SIG conversions use same size cartridge base and no reduced reliability). But for range use, you get an added caliber at less expense than a complete new firearm. And in ultimate SHTF, you get added calibers for pickup ammo.
Trijicon / PRP / PistolGear barrels / SuperTuck
NRA Endowment Member SAF Member
ThumperIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 46288
My related question is: Is the fitted barrel significantly better than the drop in? I assume that fitted will be more accurate, but worth the money?
MarkDFW is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
aftermarket quality pistol barrels for springfield armory

aftermarket xd barrels

barsto barrel xd 45 fitting

best aftermarket barrel for xd

best aftermarket barrel for xd9
how to change aftermarket springfield xd barrel
problems with bar sto barrel in springfield xd tactical
springfield armory xdm barrels

springfield xd aftermarket barrels

storm lake
storm lake barrel reviews
xd aftermarket barrels
Click on a term to search for related topics.