• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XD40 Powder River Precision Technical Difficulties

This is a discussion on XD40 Powder River Precision Technical Difficulties within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; Haven't tested it yet but I plan on it as soon as I can find a range in the town I'm in. I've been fighting ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance » XD40 Powder River Precision Technical Difficulties

Old 07-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 60314
Haven't tested it yet but I plan on it as soon as I can find a range in the town I'm in. I've been fighting cancer for the past year and my doctor gave me permission to head home so I'm no longer in Tampa, FL which is quite populated by pistol ranges. Melbourne, FL on the other hand has 1 pistol range and you must buy ammo from them so there goes the 800 leftover bulk ammo rounds I purchased. But I did shave a bit off of the OverTravel Stop so If that's what you guys think the problem is then I hope I will be good to go. Thanks again for getting back to me.
DPDerleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
XDTalk Member

Member #: 60438
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPDerleth View Post
Haven't tested it yet but I plan on it as soon as I can find a range in the town I'm in. I've been fighting cancer for the past year and my doctor gave me permission to head home so I'm no longer in Tampa, FL which is quite populated by pistol ranges. Melbourne, FL on the other hand has 1 pistol range and you must buy ammo from them so there goes the 800 leftover bulk ammo rounds I purchased. But I did shave a bit off of the OverTravel Stop so If that's what you guys think the problem is then I hope I will be good to go. Thanks again for getting back to me.
All the best to you, and keep fighting.
Smoker03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #13
XDTalk Member

Member #: 49460
I just added a new member to my collection: a new XDm40c stainless from Kyle's Gunshop. He has fantastic service--gun was in the mail the day after I ordered on line. Free shipping and in my hands three days later. Now I need to get with PRP and get a kit on the way. Since I have their kits on my other two Springfields I won't be able to live with the stock trigger!

I've put in two PRP trigger kits and have found that outside air temperature makes a big difference with the trigger over travel stop. The guns would work great, with minimal over travel, when dry firing at home but fail to work at the range in January. The triggers needed a whole bunch more removed from the over travel stop to function reliably in colder temps.

Try this:

Put your unloaded, but cocked, pistol in the freezer for a couple of hours and then pull it out and dry fire it.

If you have minimal over travel at room temp, I'll bet it won't fire frozen. If it's always warm where you live-fine, but many places get pretty cold.

Last edited by Bugs1961; 07-12-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Bugs1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #14
XDTalk Newbie

I did get to test the XD after sanding off some more of the Over Travel Stop and still the same issue occurs. When I smack the gun on the side it then allows me to fire the final round. The sear doesn't really move at all when I am on the malfunctioned round and I don't see how the over travel could be the issue. But I did shave off some more and I'll check it next weekend to see if the issue is resolved. I PRAY IT IS!! I am so accurate with that gun and I don't want to be frustrated anymore. Thanks for all who have or had any advice.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #15
XDTalk Member

I believe there was some talk from PRP that after quite a few rounds of range time, the heat expansion on the slide can keep the sear from tripping. In order to fire, you just need to take a little more off the over travel stop.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #16
XDTalk Newbie

I've done that to the point where the overtravel is almost gone. I don't really see how the overtravel physically affects the trigger bar moving in the downward direction causing the sear to not move when the trigger is pulled. I'm going to the range again this week and have shaved off more of the overtravel so before I send to a gunsmith or modify anything I'll test it.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #17
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45576
Did you take enough material off the sear? It should move freely. Try that out. If you take too much off the overtravel stop on the trigger can always buy a new one when you get the clean break.

"I have no answers, just useless questions."
G-Weezy.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:21 AM   #18
XDTalk Newbie

All I know is that when the trigger is pulled my sear actually moves more than my unmodified XD40 so id definitely say that I shaved off enough of the Overtravel. If you know the gun real well then maybe you could know what I'm referring to about the trigger bar. Its quite easy to be pushed in the downward direction and the trigger bar area that attaches to the sear disengages and doesn't move the sear. it's about twice as easy to move than the XD without the kit. If you notice there is a part of the trigger bar that sticks up higher than the frame and there is a notch carved out of the slide that gives the trigger bar room to move. i don't see why it is necessary. Most of my other guns don't have a lifted trigger bar like that. I was thinking about filing it down a bit. Your advice would be amazing.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #19
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 58901
Do not file that hump on the trigger bar. Can you take a pic of the sear area?
  • "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns."
  • "Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware."
  • "My opinion on gun control, break into my house and see."
  • "Gun control is like trying to eliminate drunk driving by not allowing sober people to own cars."
MSHancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #20
XDTalk Member

Or video would be even better

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

maintenance, powder river precision, prp, xd40, xd40 service

Search tags for this page
123powderriver**
assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware. meaning

powder river precision

powder river precision trigger not resetting

powder river precision videos

powder river precision xd40

powder river xd 40
powder river xd 40 trigger
powder river xd trigger not resetting
powderriverprecision.com

prp trigger not resetting

prp trigger sear doesn't move freely

prp xd40
xd 40 powder river
xd40 maintnance
xd9 break down trouble powder river
Click on a term to search for related topics.