• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Barrel: to oil or not

This is a discussion on Barrel: to oil or not within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; So, after cleaning up the gun with Hoppe's #9 and then applying some oil to the slide, etc.. . .and the outside of the barrel, ...

Old 03-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 50872
Barrel: to oil or not

So, after cleaning up the gun with Hoppe's #9 and then applying some oil to the slide, etc.. . .and the outside of the barrel, what are the final thoughts on oil inside the barrel. If I clean with hoppes and run patches through it until clean/dry, is that enough OR do I need to run a patch through the barrel with a few drops of oil on it. Should I only oil the inside of the barrel if I am putting the gun up for several months? Should I dry patch it before shooting?
sschrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 36123
YES!!!! oil the barrel, you really dont want rust to build up in there. If storing for a long time, some people use gun grease. For me, I oil any part that moves or comes in contact with other metal parts. For me I put 3-4 drops on a rage and run it through the barrel once making sure that the entire inside is oiled. I dont run a dry patch before shooting, it should be fine w/o doing that step as I have shot many time with the barrel lightly oiled inside.

Pt 2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

How to: Duracoat your XDM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Rebirth of a XDM

When it comes to war, it's not about who's right....but who's left.........
vash_241987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 53346
I too put a thin coat of oil inside my barrel. No I dont run a dry patch threw it when i shoot. as long as you dont have a lot of oil in there. that first round will take care of that.
Falcon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 44190
Yup, run a wet patch through the barrel before putting it up in storage. Just run a dry patch through before shooting. Excess oil in the bore can cause excess chamber pressure.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
Ditto the above, but I do run a dry patch through the match grade rifle barrels before firing a few fouling rounds.
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
I use a very light coat of EWL 2000. But I never run a dry patch through before I shoot. It's an XD after all. It goes bang either way.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty.

-Benjamin Franklin

AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 54613
Get yourself a spray can of Rem Oil. It is everywhere and it cleans, protects and lubes. Spray the barrel down, leave it lay for 30 minutes; then hit with a bore snake or copper brush aggressively. Then spray it again and run patches through until they are fairly white. Then, spray a tad on again and run another patch through and you are good to go.

Rem Oil is simple and one solution does it all. It may not be the best but it is good.
Xtreme Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 54120
Light oil in the barrel, match or not isn't going to harm anything. We are talking microns thick of oil in the barrel. That first round is going to either push or burn the residue right out of there. Plus the XD was built as a service weapon for the croatian military/police. Being prior military myself our weapons areextremly tough. I've fired my service M4 after being completly submerged in raw sewage (long story) with that crap (literally) dripping from the barrel, no problems. Im sure the croats have similar durability tests to ours, and the XD's should perform flawlessly either way.
XDTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 53827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme Man View Post
Get yourself a spray can of Rem Oil. It is everywhere and it cleans, protects and lubes. Spray the barrel down, leave it lay for 30 minutes; then hit with a bore snake or copper brush aggressively. Then spray it again and run patches through until they are fairly white. Then, spray a tad on again and run another patch through and you are good to go.

Rem Oil is simple and one solution does it all. It may not be the best but it is good.
Rem Oil isnt bad, but it doesnt clean all that great... better to use it after you use a good cleaner to get the fouling out first.

OP... I agree with the above posts, I run an oil soaked patch through the clean barrel and do a quick once over with a dry cloth to get off any excess.
Clinton1621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
XDTalk 85K Member

Member #: 14053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton1621 View Post
I agree with the above posts, I run an oil soaked patch through the clean barrel and do a quick once over with a dry cloth to get off any excess.

ditto

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
do you oil inside the barrel of a gun

do you oil the inside of a gun barrel

rem oil good for barrel
rem oil in barrel
should i oil the inside of my barrel
should i put gun oil inside the barrel of my pistol?
should you oil a gun barrel
should you oil a rifle barrel
should you oil the inside of a gun barrel
should you put oil in a gun barrel
why are you not supposed to spray oil directly on a shotgun barrel
will leaving coat of oil inside barrel etch it
Click on a term to search for related topics.