• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How to remove rust from SD XD-9

This is a discussion on How to remove rust from SD XD-9 within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; My gun has been locked in a case for a couple of years and not fired. There is a bit of rust on the slide ...

Old 01-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 1223
How to remove rust from SD XD-9

My gun has been locked in a case for a couple of years and not fired. There is a bit of rust on the slide (not too bad but there is some). When I used it I always cleaned and oiled it after each firing I guess it's just been locked away too long. What is the best way to remove the rust and care for it so it doesn't happen again?

Any other special considerations before I fire it again?
Old 01-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 2677
Quote:
Originally Posted by s986 View Post
My gun has been locked in a case for a couple of years and not fired. There is a bit of rust on the slide (not too bad but there is some). When I used it I always cleaned and oiled it after each firing I guess it's just been locked away too long. What is the best way to remove the rust and care for it so it doesn't happen again?

Any other special considerations before I fire it again?
If you have the old finish on it I believe SA will refinish it for free. Hopefully someone that knows for sure will chime in.

Quote:
Again, if you do not vote, you are part of the problem. If you vote Democrat, you ARE the problem.
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
If you have the old finish on it I believe SA will refinish it for free. Hopefully someone that knows for sure will chime in.
Wow great. It's definitely old. I bought in 03 or so. Does the new finish prevent rust?

That would be outstanding.

Thanks!

I am still curious the best way to remove rust in general if anyone knows. I have a really nice pellet gun that needs some work too.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 2677
Quote:
Originally Posted by s986 View Post
Wow great. It's definitely old. I bought in 03 or so. Does the new finish prevent rust?

That would be outstanding.

Thanks!

I am still curious the best way to remove rust in general if anyone knows. I have a really nice pellet gun that needs some work too.
Ya they switched finishes after the first couple years because of rust complaints. I have one of the original finishes too, but mine's still holding up fine to all the abuse I've put it through.

Lots of people use the finest steel wool to get rust off of guns. This even works on blued guns. But I'm no expert in this area, so I'd wait to hear from more knowledgeable people.

Quote:
Again, if you do not vote, you are part of the problem. If you vote Democrat, you ARE the problem.
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 48950
remove rust

I have found that 0000 steel wool and a good gun oil, I use CorrosionX, works really well. CorrosionX is an amazing product as it actually get into the steel. After using it you will definitely notice a different feel to the gun. It is a rust inhibitor and preventative. From their website:
  • Cuts through stubborn bore deposits for easier, more thorough cleaning
  • Decreases fouling, even after hundreds or thousands of rounds
  • Lubricates and protects mechanisms and bores even better and longer than products fortified with Teflon*
  • Ideal for semiautomatics and automatics
  • Sticks to metal like a magnet to prevent rust ... even in the rain
Corrosion Technologies Corporation - 2

I got the 16oz pump and it will last for a hell of a long time.

As always, go very lightly on pressure with steel wool so as not to mar the finish (mainly on high sheen finishes)

Recon1
Lewisusa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 51585
from what iv read. the rust is gerneraly from the case SA gives with the xd/m over time because it retains moisture in the foam so well. but iv read a light rubbing with steel wool clears it up nice. Iv also heard as said SA will refinish it however i cant talk on the validity of that as mines brand new.
btaylor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 38182
fouling at front of slide on XDm 45

Well, this looks like a good thread to post my question ... I'll post some pics if it helps ... two parter ...

I have a couple XDm bi-tones ... I noticed on both that there are a couple spots that are grey -- no longer silver like the rest of the slide ... i've cleaned & oiled, but spots still remain ... is it possible to clean and get to look brand spanking new or did something corrode thru the finish ... on the XDm 45 I just got, which is in excellent condition with the one exception of the fouling on the front of the slide on one side, more of a grey/brown color and again, I've tried cleaning and oiling, but can't get the stains off, so same question, is it possible the fouling is permanent -- thru the finish or am I just not using a decent enough cleaner? (currently just have Hoppes and Winchester BreakAway ... any help appreciated as I just bought the gun and want it to look showcase beautiful if possible ... will update with pics as soon as I can, but am hoping some of the experts on here know what I'm dealing with ... making me think I should stay away from the stainless steel slides unless they're blued/black to keep them looking new ...

thanks all and any for the advice ...

//
Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

Member #: 46117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisusa1 View Post
I have found that 0000 steel wool and a good gun oil, I use CorrosionX, works really well. CorrosionX is an amazing product as it actually get into the steel. After using it you will definitely notice a different feel to the gun. It is a rust inhibitor and preventative. From their website:
  • Cuts through stubborn bore deposits for easier, more thorough cleaning
  • Decreases fouling, even after hundreds or thousands of rounds
  • Lubricates and protects mechanisms and bores even better and longer than products fortified with Teflon*
  • Ideal for semiautomatics and automatics
  • Sticks to metal like a magnet to prevent rust ... even in the rain
Corrosion Technologies Corporation - 2

I got the 16oz pump and it will last for a hell of a long time.

As always, go very lightly on pressure with steel wool so as not to mar the finish (mainly on high sheen finishes)

Recon1
this guy is on the money 0000 steel wool patients and love pil if you want but it will make it cut faster just rub it on it gently and it wiull come right off no damage at all get it refinished by sa if you can though
xd40sc909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
XDTalk Member

Member #: 52597
Try Evapo-rust. The name is a little corny but it works great and does not require any scrubbing, scraping or sanding.

Here's a link for more info: http://www.evaporust.com/

Last edited by Seagrave 1963; 03-20-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling - 'cause I'm an idiot!
Seagrave 1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 70185
Okay, I have an XDM bi-tone .40 and after not taking it out of its case for a few months there are rust spots starting to form on the sides and top of the slide. I have only taken the pistol out of the original case 4 times to shoot it and have cleaned it very well after each use. I took yalls advice and called SA but they do not admit to the foam retaining water to be the problem. The have sent me a FEDEX pickup for free to examine my slide and considering what they find it will take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to try and resolve the finish/rust issue. I was also informed that although the bi-tone slide is made with a majority of stainless steel which does not rust, there are other metals added to strenghten the stainless since it is typically a very soft metal. I purchased the pistol in late 2009 and love the gun. Hopefully they have resolved this issue in the newer pistols.
law036 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

rust, xd-9

Search tags for this page
best way to remove rust from my pistol slide
do the slides on xd pistols still rust
gun cleaning stainless rust
hhow do u get rust off your gun slide
how to remove rust damage from xd card

how to remove rust from gun slide

how to remove rust on handgun slide
how to remove surface rust on pistol slide
remove rust from gun slide
remove rust from stainless steel slide
removing rust from blued pistol slide

rust on gun slide

Click on a term to search for related topics.