• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Is Break Free CLP enough for bore cleaning?

This is a discussion on Is Break Free CLP enough for bore cleaning? within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; I see where a lot of ppl just use CLP, but I have always been told to use a seperate specific bore cleaner for inside ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance » Is Break Free CLP enough for bore cleaning?

Old 11-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 35030
Is Break Free CLP enough for bore cleaning?

I see where a lot of ppl just use CLP, but I have always been told to use a seperate specific bore cleaner for inside the barrel?

So my question is - is CLP good enough to be my single cleaner to use to clean everything?
Big Brules is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brules View Post
I see where a lot of ppl just use CLP, but I have always been told to use a seperate specific bore cleaner for inside the barrel?

So my question is - is CLP good enough to be my single cleaner to use to clean everything?
It'll do if your the type of person that cleans his gun after every use. It might not cut it if you tend let it to go for long periods.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 35030
Cool, I fall into the clean after each use category. Thanks!
Big Brules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 22304
I would have to be a prety long period for CLP to not be enough
zWarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 40318
I used CLP (only) as the sole cleaner for my XD-40 service. I cleaned the bore with a boresnake and CLP after each 100 rounds or so. Then, just for the heck of it, I picked up a small bottle of Hoppe's # 9 and pushed a patch through the bore after I had run the boresnake through with CLP. This was about the 500 round mark. I was quite surprised at how dirty the patch came out with the Hoppe's on it. IMO the CLP is great for everyday cleaning with some Hoppes and a bore brush every once in a while to make the inside shine. Have fun.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:06 PM   #6
Old Timer

Member #: 42039
well, that is what comes with the cleaning kit for that Glock barrel in your avatar.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 43806
Hoppe's #9 EVERY TIME I CLEAN! No exceptions ever. imo it is the only bore cleaner to use but of course, this type of thing is always about personal preference. I swab up the barrel and let it sit for a few minutes while I clean the rest of the gun, also with hoppe's. I then take blaster/carb cleaner and blow off the solvent and grime on the frame (if it's my xd) etc. Then, back to the barrel w/ a brass brush then patches/bore snake and finally I blast it all off with cleaner and lube the whole thing up everywhere it needs it. The hoppe's #9 is important for melting any brass and/or lead fouling in the barrel, aiding in it's removal w/ the brass brush and patches etc.

That's my two cents and it didn't cost you a thing to hear it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
SwampCracker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 41909
I generally just use CLP. It does not dissolve fouling like Hoppe's or other dedicated bore cleaners. I have found CLP will soak between the fouling and the barrel and lift the fouling.

Coat the inside of the barrel with CLP, put the firearms aside for a few days, and then run a patch down the barrel and see if you don't get some metal. It won't be green, because it is not reacting with the metal like Hoppe's, but small particles or sometime even slivers of metal.
dwordinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 39431
I use Hoppes #9 and some other new stuff called Shooters Choice it cleans pretty good
TACC XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
df34adfe34

Member #:
CLP is fine, but I ran some Hoppes 9 through it and it seemed to clean up more. CLP will do the job, but Hoppes will do it even better. But those are basic options you can buy at the store. You can get even better stuff elsewhere, but tehre are a lot ot choose from.

But if CLP is all you have, you'll be just fine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
break free bore cleaner
breakfree clp for bore
breakfree gun cleaner
can you use break free clp to clean barrels
can you use clp in the barrel
cleanind barrel with break free clp
clp break free gun cleaner how to use

clp cleaner

clp for bore cleaning

clp gun cleaner

clp on bore snake?
clp to clean barrel
cpl breakfree long term soak
how to use break free clp
how to use clp gun cleaner
what does clp mean with gun cleaning
Click on a term to search for related topics.