• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Proper use of a boresnake?

This is a discussion on Proper use of a boresnake? within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; I have a boresnake for my wasr-10 and am fetching one for my xd.45. How do you properly use one? I have hoppes 9 solvent ...

Old 09-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 48083
Proper use of a boresnake?

I have a boresnake for my wasr-10 and am fetching one for my xd.45.

How do you properly use one? I have hoppes 9 solvent and hoppes 9 lube. How would I get the solvent down the barrel to soak before using the bore snake, I obviously can't dip the entire snake in the solvent.

Also, do you just take it and pull it through, you don't have to do any certain twists/turns to use it efficiently?
And around how many times should it be ran through.

Lastly, people always say to leave the inside of the barrell a wee bit wet with solvent or lube after the cleaning - which is it you should leave it damp with, the solvent or the lube?
wicket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39143
I use the rem oil in a spray can. Spray it at the beginning of the thicker part where its fluffy, and and some on the brushes. Pull it through 3 times and you're done. clean /lubed barrel in less than 30 seconds. rem oil is solvent and lube
Old 09-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 35632
I use boresnakes a few different ways.. If home I have some aerosal gun cleaner that I spray down the barrel and let soak for 30 seconds or so, then pull the boresnake through as a bullet would travel through the barrel. I usually spay once, and then pull the boresnake through 3 or 4 times.

Sometimes for lighter cleaning, I put some hoppes cleaner on the boresnake where it first gets flat, both sides, and then pull it through 3 or 4 times.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

I don't have any spray solvent, just the hoppes 9 liquid stuff, any idea of how I can get that stuff in the barrell to soak?

So your supposed to leave a bit of lube in the barrell after cleaning? or solvent..
Old 09-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39443
I use a bore snake for doing quick cleaning at the range and honestly although I have them for 22 and 9mm/357 I really only use them on the .357 when switching from 38 special to 357, or from lead to jacketed bullets.

If you want that barrel to be clean, use cleaning rod, jags, brushes and cleaning pads.
If you want to deliver a lot of solvent to the barrel to soak, use a mop.
Old4Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

So a boresnake don't get the barrell clean really?
I heard they worked really well.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39443
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket1 View Post
It depends on what you want to call clean. It will scrub out the barrel ok, but you've still got carbon deposits in other areas of the gun. I assume you are shooting jacketed bullets and the copper deposits left behind are best attacked with a solvent specifically tasked for that, such as KG-12. The problem with that is that it will attack brass/bronze brushes, so I use the nylon brushes for that solvent, thus it would attack the brushes in the boresnake.

I think the boresnake is a very good product but it is not the end all, be all of cleaning.

An owner of a gun shop I frequent uses a boresnake exclusively to clean his Ruger MKIII pistol because they are a nightmare for him to take down. He'll pull off the grips and start flooding the rest of the gun with Gun Scrubber. I showed him how to pull down and re-assemble the pistol and he laughed saying he'll probably stick with the bore snake.

It is a smart product for a quickie, but for those long sensuous escapades, ya gotta strip down and and plunge in. Those detailed cleanings also affords me an opportunity to apologize to the guns, telling them it's not their fault I can't hit the broadside of a barn.
Old4Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29650
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket1 View Post
Oh they do. People just use them wrong. Bend the snake in half just after the brushes. Dip it into a screw off type bottle of #9. Now there is at least 3 inches of soaked bore snake. Pull it through once. Since it saturated with #9 the excess amount will kind of ring itself out as you pull it through leaving behind a nice coat of solvent. Let that sit a few minutes an then repeat. If it's really bad, push a wire brush through by itself in between steps. This method works well for me. If you want to oil when your done just put a little on the very end of the bore snake so it's the last thing through the barrel.

eb_311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
Ox1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 48174
^1
That's what I do.
Ox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 38513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4Eyes View Post
I use a bore snake for doing quick cleaning at the range and honestly although I have them for 22 and 9mm/357 I really only use them on the .357 when switching from 38 special to 357, or from lead to jacketed bullets.

If you want that barrel to be clean, use cleaning rod, jags, brushes and cleaning pads.
If you want to deliver a lot of solvent to the barrel to soak, use a mop.
..+1
mikeybigb is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
bore snake direction
bore snake to clean kimber
boresnake cleaning instructions
boresnake instructions
can i use rem oil with my bore snake
do i put gun cleaner on my bore snake to clean my rifle
do you use solvent with a bore snake
do you use solvent with boresnake
hoppe's boresnake directions

how to use a bore snake

how to use a bore snake on a pistol
how to use a boresnake
how to use boresnake
how to use hoppes bore snake
when using a bore snake do you lube?
Click on a term to search for related topics.