• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Sight removal and installation

This is a discussion on Sight removal and installation within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; Just got 2 sets of TruGlo TFOs. I have a sight press tool. Here is my question. Does it matter which direction you press the ...

Old 07-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 34892
Sight removal and installation

Just got 2 sets of TruGlo TFOs. I have a sight press tool. Here is my question. Does it matter which direction you press the sights out/in? Ejection side to non-ejection side or vice versa? I would not think it would matter, but more trivial things have mattered in the past
TAYLORMADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-29-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39297
I don't believe that it really matters, but I pushed my to the left (non-ejection side) without any issue.
Dacsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:00 AM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 27336
I would check for instructions on the sight mfg site. Most dovetailed base sights are slightly tapered to one side. This facilitates alignment and starting the sight base into the slide. The difference should be measurable with dial calipers or a micrometer. It can be in dovetail width , height, degree of taper or a combination. Or just start fit them by hand, one side should go in further and easier.
Trijicon / PRP / PistolGear barrels / SuperTuck
NRA Endowment Member SAF Member
ThumperIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacsoft View Post
I don't believe that it really matters, but I pushed my to the left (non-ejection side) without any issue.
I believe you went the wrong direction. You are supposed to go from left to right. If you look on the right side of the sights they are rounded on the corners so you don't gouge the slots, and on the left side square 90 degree angles. If you push the sight to the left you can gouge the slots. Luckily you didn't.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. But I read this on the site somewhere and it makes the most logical sense.
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 41934
The front factory sight for my XD is tapered on the right (ejection) side. So when installing you would start from the left side of the slide. The dovetail in front is pretty thin, so it would be easy to break it if you got it started crooked. Removing the front sight might not really matter which way you push - I think the taper helps get it started when you install it. The rear factory sight isn't tapered but all four corners have an edge break so the corners aren't sharp.
from the trijicon instructions:
The sights in this package must be installed using the xxx sight blade pusher tool. The reason for this is the dovetail surface on the front blade. This very thin dovetail will bend or break off if any other installation method is attempted.
It is important to keep downward pressure on the top of the front blade as it is pushed into the dovetail to keep it headed in a horizontal direction.
It is important that the rear sight blade be used on ONE slide only. Slides vary in dovetail width. To compensate for this the trijicon rear sight blade will compress slightly so that it will fit even the tightest dovetail. This means that it will not fit well on a loose dovetail after it has been installed on a tight dovetail.
shadowbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 34892
Thanks for all the help guys! Had yall not been here I probably would have just neanderthal pressed them in
TAYLORMADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 44214
what tool are you guys using to change sights? I just got a new XD 45 Compact and i want night sights, but I do not want to be with out it to wait on sending it in.

also, another stupid question, how are you guys making sure the new sights are lined up properly? does the tool do that, or do you have to put them on, go shoot and adjust?

I've never changed sights, but I want to learn since I have a few XD's now

-Semper Fi
ThinkMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29139
Mud, i would let a smith do the sights if you dont have a pusher or past experience of an XD. The XD's are notorious for being bears to remove even with a pusher. There are several pushers you can buy out there...maybe in your case with multiple pistols it would be worth it to buy one. But do a search and read some of the stories about removal. I have heard of more than one person ending up having to cut them out witha dremmel.

Too many guns to list...but still not enough.
taylor6400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 44214
thanks for the info, I went ahead and sent it off to James at xd-hs2000.com for him to put it on for me should be back by friday! I don't think I want to mess up my sites, that would be very bad. and I saw a tool online, but it was over $500, so this will be cheaper.

-Semper Fi
ThinkMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 46422
Anyone use a hydraulic press to remove/replace sights? I have one in my shop but would need some sort of jig.
Mudinyeri is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

sights, tfo, tfos

Search tags for this page
how to remove springfield xdm sights
is the dovetail sight on a springfield xds tapered
removing rear sight xd forum
sight removal
springfield sight removal tool

springfield xd sight removal

springfield xd sight removal direction

which side do you press sights in on an xdm
whitch way do you go to remove the sights on a springfield xdm
xd sight install direction

xd sight removal direction

xdm sight removel & install
Click on a term to search for related topics.