• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Cleaning my XDM 40

This is a discussion on Cleaning my XDM 40 within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; You can also use non-chlorinated brake cleaner as a degreaser...at walmart it's under $4 for a nice big spray can. I use it and you ...

Old 04-05-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 53760
You can also use non-chlorinated brake cleaner as a degreaser...at walmart it's under $4 for a nice big spray can. I use it and you can tell it really cuts the previous oil off. I heard about it on here just make sure it's non-chlorinated or it can damage the polymer frame. It's clearly labeled on the bottle.

I'm new to this as well and have been using a combo of the brake cleaner, a hoppes cleaning kit for the patches and bore brush, q tips, nylon/brass brushes, and weapon shield (grease on rails / top of barrel + where it rubs the slide), weapon shield oil from their needle applicator for some VERY light oil on the rest of the outside of the barrel / outside chamber, light coat for the guide rod and spring. Seems good so far! I'm developing my method and getting faster, you'll read 500 ways online. I think the main thing for the xdm is don't oil the striker area at all...so don't drip oil into the firing pin hole, or the back where the striker spring is. I just spray my slide with the brake cleaner and use the brushes and q tips to pick up the gunk.
stevieachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 56290
i had a question to throw out there too .. i got the BI Tone .45 stainless and i hear that stainless has a tendency to rust... i always clean my firearms after every time i use them and once a month regardless.. would that be enough or would i need to frequent my cleaning.. also if it rusts would it damage the gun or would the rust be able to just be rubbed off (ewwww) kinda like rust on a car's brake rotors
Travdaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 56290
i found this video but still wondering about the rust removal / preventer

Travdaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 44202
My wife works in a hand surgery clinic and she tells me, "You would be surprised how many times we get patients who come in after shooting themselves in the hand, some of them more than once! And they all have done it while CLEANING their guns!" Isn't there a common sense law that says dissassemble before cleaning?? I mean c'mon!!! This really isn't related to your post sir, it just brought something to mind reading yours! Take care all!
RangerMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #15
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 50771
I use Eezox as my cleaner on the entire gun (inside and out) except the striker channel. I use Rem oil on my recoil spring assembly and a final coat inside the barrel after cleaning with the Eezox. I use gun butter on all the lube points (amazing stuff especially on the slide rails)
"Lord make me fast and accurate, let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let NOT my last thought be if I only had my gun.....and lord.....if today is truly the day that you call me home.....let me die in a empty pile of brass"
Sublimeon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #16
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 7918
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMed View Post
My wife works in a hand surgery clinic and she tells me, "You would be surprised how many times we get patients who come in after shooting themselves in the hand, some of them more than once! And they all have done it while CLEANING their guns!" Isn't there a common sense law that says dissassemble before cleaning?? I mean c'mon!!! This really isn't related to your post sir, it just brought something to mind reading yours! Take care all!
They SAY they were cleaning it and "it just went off officer". Most likely they were screwing around and got what they deserved.
Uzi, Sterling MK6, GSG-5.
Bersa Thunder 45, CZ75-SP01 Tactical, CZ75 Compact 40, DW CBOB 10mm,USP Custom Combat40, SA-1911,
XD-9 Service, XD-9SC Black, XD-9SC Bi-Tone, XD-40 Service Bi-tone, XD-45C Dark Earth, XD-45C Tactical Black,
Sig P228x2, Sig P220, Sig Mosquito, Steyr M9, Walther P-22, Beretta 92FS Inox
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #17
XDTalk Member

Member #: 52597
I have the black XDM40 and not the stainless XDM40 but I have a stainless 10/22. Have used Simple Green as the cleaner on all of my guns for years and never had a problem. Diluted at 25% and it's safe with no fumes (just a "pleasant" mint odor - wife likes it but I think it's too fruity for guns ). Lube them with RemOil per manufacturer directions and then a general wipe down with RemOil. Have never had any problems.

Good Luck and safe shooting

Last edited by Seagrave 1963; 04-15-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Seagrave 1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #18
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 44202
Am I the only person that uses Gunzilla around here? I hear a lot about CLP and the like, but since the military, I've used Gunzilla exclusively and I don't want or need anything else. Let me know if anyone else has tried it and what your opinions of it are.
RangerMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #19
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 87121
Glad I found this thread! I'm getting a XDm 40 this week as my first gun...excited!
deb.boggs713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #20
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 86381
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongeorgio View Post
I have an XDM 40 with the stainless slide. I know how to field strip it but am unclear on how to clean it. The following are my issues:

What product (or type of product) do I use to clean which parts?

What parts do I oil and how much do I use?

Do I wipe everything I have oiled before I put my gun back together?

Any other tips you may have will be greatly appreciated. I have always had revolvers and have no experience cleaning a pistol like this one and I don't want to screw it up.
Thanks,
George
Theres not much that you need to do to the frame. There are however some nooks and crannies inside the frame that catch and hide dirt. As far as the slide and barrel, any basic cleaner like Hoppes will work. A very light coat of oil when finished cleaning. Concentrating on those areas where it is metal contact on metal. Remember, too much oil attracts dust and whatever else is in the air so take it easy. Last but not least, a dap of gun grease on the slide rails. I have the xdm 40 with the stainless slide as well. Consistancy in your cleaning after use will go along way
ScoopdJour is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

.40, clean, field strip, oil, xdm

Search tags for this page
clean springfield xdm

cleaning springfield xdm

cleaning the xdm 40

cleaning xdm 40

how to clean a springfield 40 cal xdm
how to clean a springfield xdm 40
how to clean a xdm 40
how to clean an xdm 40

how to clean springfield xdm 40

how to clean xdm 40

how to remove rust on xdm finish
what should i use to clean my xdm 40
where to oil a xdm 40
xdm 40 cleaning

xdm 40 cleaning kit

Click on a term to search for related topics.