• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Help on Sight removal for installation of ATS sights for hs2000

This is a discussion on Help on Sight removal for installation of ATS sights for hs2000 within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; Sirs, I would like to ask direction where i could get a sight removal tool for the hs2000 so that i could install a ATS ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance » Help on Sight removal for installation of ATS sights for hs2000

Old 06-05-2010, 05:00 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 46492
Help on Sight removal for installation of ATS sights for hs2000

Sirs,

I would like to ask direction where i could get a sight removal tool for the hs2000 so that i could install a ATS sight for it. I have already removed everything from the slide and i still cant seem to see where the screws are for the rear sights. How am i going to remove the rear sights of the hs? Does the tool also apply to the rear sights or i just need to tap it out of place and replace it with the new one? Your advices would be very helpful. Thank you.
jetjugueta is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Hate to break it to you, but the reason you can't find the screws for the sights is because there are no screws for the sights; they are pressed/friction fit in.

Basically, you can order a sight pusher, go at them with a hammer and punch, or have a gunsmith do the dirty work for (at least, prices around here) $30-40.

Considering that the XD's sights are notorious buggers to remove, I'd pay somebody else to have the headache.

And welcome to the forum.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45815
^^ what he said
Old 06-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 46492
thank you for the reply sir. is it also the same case with the front sight? i could see a little hole underneath the sight but i cant see if there is actually a screw in it.
jetjugueta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
To the absolute best of my knowledge, there is no screw securing the front sight; it's also just press-fit into the front dovetail.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 41934
MGW makes a pusher for the XD - I invested in the tool. If you take the gun to a good gunsmith you will save some money. Take it to a bad gunsmith and you'll wind up with a banged-up slide. The sights are a bitc# to remove without the right tool.
shadowbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 27361
If you ever think you will do additional sights go with the MGW sight tool. Works great and I have used it on my XDs as well as 1911's. The sights are really tight without a proper tool. With that said there are many posts of people using a punch and hammer to remove their sights. As said above, beware they are really tough to get out and then installed new sights without damage.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:34 AM   #8
XDTalk Member

Member #: 35740
The MGW tool works. So does this XD Sight Pusher

Removing the factory sights is the problem. The tools all say for installing and adjusting after market sights. They won't guarantee to remove the factory sights with out damage to the tool. Yes, they are that tight. On mine I got the rear sight out with a punch and about 3 whacks with a regular hammer. It took a three pound sledge and whailing away six times to *start* the front sight moving. However, installing the night sights I wanted to use was a breeze with the Modelandtool pusher (it's built like a tank). New sights may not be the right size for your dovetail out of the box and may require fitting. Grinding off the bottom of the sight till it barely fits and then using the tool to push it in. Having the tool allows you to adjust the sights with out banging on them with a punch. If you go with tritium night sights you don't really want to be hitting them.
NOYDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 37120
A 3# maul, 1/8" punch, and a big brass pair worked for me. I wouldn't recommend this method for everyone. I managed to NOT bugger up the slide, but I suspect I was lucky.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
I've done several XD sight removals with nothing but a hammer, punch and a vice. One of the gun did require some solid hammering. The slide was held in place in the vice with a piece of cardboard. The 12pk thin type cardboard, fold it a couple of times secure it in the vice and go for it. If the doesn't come out easy then by the sight pusher. My train of thought is, first see if you can do it this way if you can't then spend the money on a sight pusher.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

ats, hs2000, sight removal, sights, springfield xd 9mm

Search tags for this page

ats sight

ats sights

ats sights on springfield xd

big money grip sight tool

big money grips sight pusher
fitting dovetail sight with sandpaper
front pistol sight not flush with slide
grips hs 2000
how to change front and rear sights on a hs2000
how to remove hs2000 sight
hs2000 rear sight removal
hs2000 sight pusher

installing ats sights

what grit sandpaper to use to fit a dovetail sight from the bottom
will mgw sight pusher remove original xd sights?
witch direction to drift out dovetail sight on springfield xd
Click on a term to search for related topics.