• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How do you use the jag for cleaning?

This is a discussion on How do you use the jag for cleaning? within the XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance forums, part of the XD Talk category; Thats what I thought. I have been using the thing you fold the patch eyelet thing which I kinda thought was a pretty shotty way ...

Old 10-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39624
Thats what I thought. I have been using the thing you fold the patch eyelet thing which I kinda thought was a pretty shotty way of doing it since it didnt really put much pressure on the barrel to 'scrub' at all. I will try using the jag next time.

I also heard from someone that you should use the brush but only once or twice through from the breech end only, is there any truth to that?
wingnut1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 32882
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon281tx View Post
If you wanna know the fastest way to clean the barrel, use a bore snake. It has never let me down. Just 3 run-thrus and your done. Takes like 10 seconds and it cleans it up very well. I do this after every range trip so the gunk is still loose and fresh. I dunno what it'd be like if you clean your gun every other range trip or so.
Yeah, I agree. A bore snake is worth it's weight in gold....I love mine!

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
  • Harrington & Richardson Model 088 Shotgun
  • Del-Ton 16" carbine AR-15

Luke 22:36

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
Shaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #13
XDTalk Member

Member #: 39639
+1 On the Bore Snake
IDPA
NRA

~
"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares?... He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!"~
XDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:24 AM   #14
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39785
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut1983 View Post
I also heard from someone that you should use the brush but only once or twice through from the breech end only, is there any truth to that?
Depends largely upon what you've been shooting. The brush assists in removing foreign metal fouling. Gilded metal (copper/bronze) adheres just as lead does. A rough bore collects more than a smooth bore so a new barrel may tend to collect more than one that has been lapped or shot into prime condition. Proper maintenance avoids developing pits which in time will also collect deposits and not go away.

Used properly, a bore brush will not harm the barrel. Some guns, such as revolvers do not provide access thru the breech so you must enter from the muzzle. If the chambering is for a round also commonly found in rifles (22 rimfire) its a good idea to get a bore brush for "pistol" since it is shorter and will often pass all the way past the forcing cone into the cylinder gap and permit the bristles to straighten and reverse.

A rule of thumb from so many years back I cannot say where it originated was---run a bore brush in and out one time for every 10 rounds fired when using lead and once for every 20 rounds fired using jacketed.

If you have neglected to use a bore brush for a long time and are concerned with fouling of the bore:

Get a cork that fits snugly in the chamber end of the barrel and stand it muzzle up. Fill the bore with Hoppes, Shooter's Choice, etc. type of bore solvent and let stand full for a couple of days. Dump it and swab with both soaked patches and bore brush it alternating every now and then and then rub it dry with firmly fitting dry patches until they come out completely clean.

Unlike powder residue, metal fouling of the bore may not be visible at all from an oiled patch cleaning.

Don't be overly concerned if you haven't been doing it, just start doing it and you will establish a well maintained bore over time. Even a well maintained bore will eventually deteriorate and with today's autos its easy to replace.

Hope this helps,

TB
twice barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #15
XDTalk Member

Member #: 32564
I clipped this from Kleen-Bore but I would guess all of them say about the same thing.

Which Should I Use, A Patch Holder Or A Cleaning Jag With My Patches?

This is a personal choice usually based on cleaning frequency. Patch holders are an integral part of many of the kits that we offer because of their universal nature. A patch holder works fine for occasional cleaning and can be used to clean other calibers/gauges by changing the patch size, although they take more time to swab the bore as compared to a caliber specific jag. For frequent cleaning, jags offer a faster and more thorough job of bore cleaning. They work well to keep constant pressure on the entire inside wall of the bore for a quick and efficient cleaning. Kleen-Bore offers brass jags for rifle and handgun cleaning, and aluminum and Multi-Choke Nylon jags for shotgun cleaning. A bore specific cleaning jag accompanied by the properly sized cleaning patch will give you the best results.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #16
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 35934
Another vote for the bore snake. Quick, easy, get's the job done.
Spartan299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:07 AM   #17
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 26172
i usually use a bore snake but before i had one i would rap a patch around the brass brush, it was a tight fit and you can only have one layer of patch unless your using a smaller cal brush.

it works great, the patch sticks to the brush like velcro

I haven't stopped believing in god. I just stopped beliving he cares. There might be a god, there might not, but i dont think it matters. Either way were on our own.-Jace Wayland

If you want to polish your barrel click the link below

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
sourpatch45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

gun cleaning jag

how to use a cleaning jag
how to use a gun jag
how to use a jag
how to use jag tip
is a jag better than a sloted patch loop for cleaning barrels
rifle cleaning jag
rifle cleaning jag how to
rifle jag

spear pointed jag

spear pointed jag use
using a jag to clean a gun

what are spear pointed jags used for

what is a cleaning jag
what is a jag used for in gun cleaning
what is a spear pointed jag for gun cleaning
Click on a term to search for related topics.