• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XD 45 5" Tac

This is a discussion on XD 45 5" Tac within the XD-45ACP Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Hello. I shot my XD 45 today and I used a huge piece of card board with a circle drawn on it. When I put ...

Old 12-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 31528
Question XD 45 5" Tac

Hello. I shot my XD 45 today and I used a huge piece of card board with a circle drawn on it. When I put the cross hairs directly on the center of the circle and pulled the trigger my shots went about half a foot to the left and high. The wind was not blowing and I took around 26 shots. Mostly all of my shots were off target to the left and high. I would not consider my self an experienced marksman but I know I was aiming pretty damn good. After getting angry I went inside and got my girl friends father who has numerous hand guns and rifles alike. He is experienced and usually can hit a 2 liter from 30 yards with his ruger. When he shot it he got a little closer with the grouping but still the gun was off by a pretty large margin. I have only put about 250 rounds through my gun and I never shot it enough to warp the barrel. Is there any way to adjust the sights on these guns or are they set for life? I also reset the barrel thinking that might straighten her out a little but no such luck. Most 45's like this? Or can I find a real plinker in 45 cal? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rob
XI SwampFox IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-22-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
XDTalk Newbie

...?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:45 AM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 24597
Hi SwampFox.

First...........welcome to the forums.

Second.............take a look at this thread: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xdtalk-...-part-2-a.html

The thread is near the top with a sticky in the XDtalk ChatterBox forum.

I had problems at first with the XD trigger. Was used to shooting Browning Hi-Powers and 1911's. Still not real good with the XD trigger but it improves with practice. Just haven't had a lot of time to practice lately.

Hopefully someone will come along to this thread a post a pic of a target you can print out. Can't remember right now where to find it. It will tell you what you are doing wrong by where your shots hit on the target.

So, it is not you or the gun. As a friend of mine says.........you just have to get "youst" to it.

Came back to edit this and add the following. Take a look near the bottom of the thread I posted where it talks about "Correct Finger Placement". This I think is the most important part. It really help me.

Last edited by Spawnz; 12-22-2008 at 12:49 AM. Reason: edited to add more info
Spawnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:17 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 31165
If you tend to wrap your left index finger around the front of the trigger guard, don't.

Remove that finger and see if your shooting improves. I dunno why they cut the trigger guard that way, I see lots of pistols with it but it can have a pretty detrimental effect on your shooting.

Classically it makes you shoot up to the left. Just a thought.
Revlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 27615
here is the target he was talkking about in the above post. and all of the xd's i have seen hit point of aim if you do your part. my buddy has a 1911 and after shooting my 45 tac he was not able to shoot his at his target saying he neede3d a trigger job. but i have a very sweet trigger on my pistola. well here is the pic:
xd 45 shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Wow, thanks for all the help. Ok, I know I do wrap my finger around the trigger and that will be one of the first improvements I try to make. Second, Thanks for the information on the link to the marksmanship, I will read through it thoroughly. And third, thanks for the target there, I will most definitely print that off right now and try and improve my accuracy. Thanks Spawnz, Revlis, and shooter. I'll get back to you guys/ladies hopefully in the next couple of days. Again, THANK YOU, I was getting very aggrivated with my accuracy.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
My 45tac shoots POA out to 25yds. Great shooter. Your sights may be off & can be adjusted left or w/ a drift punch.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room

accuracy, sights

Search tags for this page

proper finger placement on trigger of xd

xd 45

xd 45 sight placement

Click on a term to search for related topics.