• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

xd 45 vs. HK 45

This is a discussion on xd 45 vs. HK 45 within the XD-45ACP Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Held an HK 45 in my hand for the first time. Fit finish and quality was definitely a stop above the xd. Anyone have experience ...

Old 09-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 19551
xd 45 vs. HK 45

Held an HK 45 in my hand for the first time. Fit finish and quality was definitely a stop above the xd. Anyone have experience on the range comparing the 2? At 2x the price of the XD was wondering if there was significant better experience shooting it.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Both are great pistols, both accurate & easy to shoot well. I prefer the USP for the fit/finish & ability to carry it cocked & locked, but I also love my XDTAC. The XD will also handle lead bullets while the USP shouldn't use them.

Last edited by fredj338; 09-20-2007 at 02:32 PM.
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 20438
Talking

Been a HK guy my whole life.... The HK USP 45 is a fine weapon.I have had a USP in my collection since they came out in the early 90's.I will buy the new HK45 also....I bought a XD 45 service model 2 months ago now .. Since then I have bought another one a Compact XD 45 and put my HK P7 M-13 in the safe .I now carry the XD compact in 45(all i need is a pinky extention hurry up Pearce!!)... I love the XD 45 Sevice but sold it since the aquisition of the compact....My HK USP 45 Tactical is a bit large for me to carry in the summer....HK is more accurate out of the box But cost $700 or so depends where you live...XD is a great deal for the money .
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

HK USP 45 info
corrosion-proof,fiber-reinforced frame
converts to any of 10 firing modes
Incorporated HK recoil system
oversized trigger guard
One piece machined slide
Corrosion-resistant"hostile environment"Nitro-carburized finish
Polygonal cold forged barrel
Mounting groves not picitiny(Although they pioneered feature on handguns)
Ambidextrous mag release
Extended slide release
Lock out saftey
lifetime warranty
12 rounds

Springfield XD 45 Info
polymor frame
one firing mode
oversized trigger guard
One piece machined slide
Diamond hard Melonite finish
Fully hammer-forged barrel
Picitiny rails
Ambidextrous mag release
small slide release(bigger than Glock though)
Visual loaded chamber indicator
Visual Striker Status indicator
Grip safety
XD Gear Sytem(cool baby)
Lifetime warranty
13 rounds

Last edited by Dark Knight; 09-20-2007 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling :)
Old 09-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 2669
I've had HK .45's in the full-size and compact model; when I went to get my XD .45 compact earlier in the week, the store had a pristine condition .45 USP compact for $799. If it's still there next Friday when I get paid again, it will be put on layaway. I love my XD .45, with its 10-13 rounds, vs. the 8+1 of the USPc, but I just love HK's!

"Guns don't make you a killer. Killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game."

-Unknown
XDfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:51 AM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 15162
You did not mention whether you were talking about the full size pistols or the compacts. I own both the HK Compact .45 with the LEM trigger mod and the XD Compact .45.

The HK is a very high quality weapon. The LEM trigger was installed at the factory and I had a trigger job performed by Tommy Thacker (do a search on the HK forums for his particulars). The LEM trigger, if you're not familiar, has the same trigger pull all day and all night, like the XD. My particular trigger has a 6.5 pound trigger pull weight but it feels much lighter because Tommy did such a great job on it. It also has a very long take-up which cannot be shortened due to the geometry of the LEM system. LEM system is, for me, the way to go because I don't personally care for the double action/single action two separate trigger pulls in a combat situation; I want the same pull all day every day. YMMV. 8+1 capacity, very reliable. Magazine release is an ambi lever at the base of the trigger guard and takes some getting used to.

My XD had a trigger job performed by Scott Springer and it is tremendous. Very short take-up, 4.5 pound pull (grease on glass smooth) and very short reset. He also undercut the trigger guard so the ten round mags with the shorter grip work really well for me. A somewhat emperical observation but it feels terrific in my hand. Had two reliability issues with the XD, both with aftermarket parts: Barsto barrel broke at the barrel foot, and the front sight on the Dawson Precision night sight broke off. (!!) Both fixed very quickly by Scott. Pistol is really accurate and otherwise reliable.

I'm a 1911 nut but have been carrying my XD for a while now and can't get enough of it. Carry that over the HK because I dislike the long take-up and the mag release of the HK, but others don't mind those issues. If I was not carrying my XD I would probably go with one of my commander sized 1911s or the HK. You won't go wrong with either the XD or the HK. I HIGHLY recommend you check with Scott Springer for trigger work should you decide on the XD. Spectacular customer service!

HTH

Paul
perkelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:45 AM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 13790
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
The XD will also handle lead bullets while the USP shouldn't use them.
I know of a HK USP .40 that gets 2000+ rounds a year of hard cast LRN. No problems, shoots more accurately than most of the shooters that handle it . . . even after 700-800 rounds. You've just got to be more anal retentive about cleaning it out well after you get done shooting it.

As for the HK quality, I would absolutely love to have one to keep my XD company (in either 9 or 45, full size or compact) but being a college student, HK is kind of out of the question budget wise. I love shooting them, just can't own one yet. Truth be told, if I could have found one for what I paid for an XD, I wouldn't be here comparing the two.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:28 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 19551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
HK USP 45 info
corrosion-proof,fiber-reinforced frame
converts to any of 10 firing modes
Incorporated HK recoil system
oversized trigger guard
One piece machined slide
Corrosion-resistant"hostile environment"Nitro-carburized finish
Polygonal cold forged barrel
Mounting groves not picitiny(Although they pioneered feature on handguns)
Ambidextrous mag release
Extended slide release
Lock out saftey
lifetime warranty
12 rounds

Springfield XD 45 Info
polymor frame
one firing mode
oversized trigger guard
One piece machined slide
Diamond hard Melonite finish
Fully hammer-forged barrel
Picitiny rails
Ambidextrous mag release
small slide release(bigger than Glock though)
Visual loaded chamber indicator
Visual Striker Status indicator
Grip safety
XD Gear Sytem(cool baby)
Lifetime warranty
13 rounds
Thanks for putting this list up. Very interesting...Other than the 10 optional firing modes...Do you think the HK is worth the extra $$$???
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:18 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

For me yes they are worth it.(YOU can find deals on them I bought a HK USP 45 for $500 locally with only 200 rounds down the pipe)..... BUT KNOW that I have been a HK guy my whole life.Shoot a HK P7 M-13 at 15 years old you get Spoiled..... I have had many Glock's when I couldnt affored a HK...A few months ago I started reading info on here about the XD and bought one sight unseen.I love the saftey fetures and the fact that the barrel is FULLY supported LIKE my HK's.......I have 3 now...I LOVE THE XD SERIES... I own both and will continue to do so......Ditto on the LEM trigger.....

Last edited by Dark Knight; 09-26-2007 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 8579
Quote:
Originally Posted by perkelp View Post
He also undercut the trigger guard so the ten round mags with the shorter grip work really well for me.
I would love to see a picture of your high cut trigger guard. I've been toying with doing this too mine. My Commander has a high cut trigger guard and it really helps me get a higher hold on the gun. It would also help my pinky from getting pulled off the bottom of the grip while shooting +P ammo.
XNavyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
hk 45 and hk45 compact together

hk 45 vs xd 45

hk 45 vs xdm 45

hk usp 45 acp compact vs xdm 45 acp compact
hk45 compact vs. springfield xd
hk45 vs xdm
hk45 vs xdm 45
springfield armory hk usp 45
springfield xd 45 vs hk 45

springfield xd 45 vs hk45

springfield xd vs hk

springfield xdm 45 vs hk45

xd 45 vs hk 45

xd45 dislike
xd45 vs hk45
xdm 45 vs hk45
Click on a term to search for related topics.