• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

No sling shotting?

This is a discussion on No sling shotting? within the XD-45ACP Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; I started a new thread because it is not 3.8 related. I see in the XDS area that a lot of folks are saying that ...

Old 12-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 6850
No sling shotting?

I started a new thread because it is not 3.8 related. I see in the XDS area that a lot of folks are saying that chambering via sling shot causes the pistol to jam. They cite the manual which says to use the slide lock. The XDM manual pdf I just looked at does say that but does not preclude sling shot.

I sling shot and have no plans to change. So, is this an XD/XDM problem in your guys' experience?

Thanks for the input!
Remove Ads
Old 12-16-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 80638
My buddy has put 300 rounds through his, I have been there everytime he has shot it. No problems! But I will preface that out of the box it did not want to return to battery. We cleaned it up, made sure the firing pin was clean and gave the slide a light coat of CLP. Then cycled it several times. Then it was fine and ready for the range. Also if you want one in the pipe, then put in a mag nd release the slide. Then eject the mag and add a round. The extra tension of the ejector popping over the round will keep the slide back just out of battery. So load all rounds from the magazine. At least that is our experience with the one we picked up last month. BTW I love that gun, can't believe how accurate I am with it. I guess I should be clear when racked by hand or by slide release it has chambered every time, since initial disassembly.

Definitely an XDs and a 3.8 XDm .45 in my near future.

Last edited by Philthy; 12-16-2012 at 01:46 AM. Reason: added comments
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 6850
Thanks for the feedback. Sling shot (at least in my head) refers to racking the slide and chambering without using the slide lock. I would never chamber a round without using a magazine, it's hard on the extractor for no reason. I do not top off the mag after chambering.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 83544
Seems weird if I am understanding correctly. Would think it makes no difference using slide lock or not as it is producing the same motion unless I miss read and am not understanding correctly.
Carn723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carn723 View Post
Seems weird if I am understanding correctly. Would think it makes no difference using slide lock or not as it is producing the same motion unless I miss read and am not understanding correctly.
Some people will ride the slide slightly, preventing the slide from going forward with enough force to chamber a round. However, the XDs seems to have issues with this even when people ARE doing it correctly.

That being said...I really think any pistol that can't be slingshotted reliably is suffering from a design flaw. The one nice thing about the slingshot method is that it should work on ANY auto--no searching for a slide release on an unfamiliar pistol.

This problem does seem to extend to the XD/XDm line. I slingshotted the slides on both my XD45 and XDm 40 with no issues.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
I doubt it. Properly done, "slingshotting" is the same action as hitting the slide release. It's how I run all my semiautos, then I never have to look fo the slide release when switching guns. I run an XDTAC in IDPA, it gets a lot of reload work & I never use the slide release.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 50771
only time I really slingshot is after re-assembling the gun when done cleaning, to chamber a rd of my SD ammo before it goes back in the car / bedstand. At the range I always use the slide release when inserting a new mag, since the slide is locked back anyways from the last empty one. Whenever i have used the slingshot route, Ive never had any problem in either XDM........now, off to the range for me, might come home with a XDs or a M&P shield!
"Lord make me fast and accurate, let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let NOT my last thought be if I only had my gun.....and lord.....if today is truly the day that you call me home.....let me die in a empty pile of brass"
Sublimeon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 81845
I'm a lefy, and I always rack the slide (I don't slingshot, I grab the serrations behind the ejection port) since the slide lock is awkward to use with your pointer finger. I see nothing wrong doing this since your doing what a fired round does, just a bit slower. I've never had a problem doing this with my xdm nor my 1911.
cjd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 76500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
Some people will ride the slide slightly, preventing the slide from going forward with enough force to chamber a round. However, the XDs seems to have issues with this even when people ARE doing it correctly.

That being said...I really think any pistol that can't be slingshotted reliably is suffering from a design flaw. The one nice thing about the slingshot method is that it should work on ANY auto--no searching for a slide release on an unfamiliar pistol.

This problem does seem to extend to the XD/XDm line. I slingshotted the slides on both my XD45 and XDm 40 with no issues.
I've yet to see any evidence of anyone correctly racking a round with the XDS and having a misfeed. I have seen at least a few people claim they are doingitrite only to find out they are riding the slide.

I agree that a pistol that can't be slingshotted reliably has issues. Just haven't seen any of that with the XDS. Maybe some do have a problem with slingshotting but all I've seen is people who are doingitwrong.

The two XDS I've shot slingshotted perfectly with nothing unusual required.

Got a link or something where an XDS won't slingshot and the user is doingitrite?
Old 12-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 79087
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheXDude View Post
I've yet to see any evidence of anyone correctly racking a round with the XDS and having a misfeed. I have seen at least a few people claim they are doingitrite only to find out they are riding the slide.

I agree that a pistol that can't be slingshotted reliably has issues. Just haven't seen any of that with the XDS. Maybe some do have a problem with slingshotting but all I've seen is people who are doingitwrong.

The two XDS I've shot slingshotted perfectly with nothing unusual required.

Got a link or something where an XDS won't slingshot and the user is doingitrite?
I have never seen one little pistol generate so much controversy! I drop the slide and rack the slide ( left handed style) I am in the camp that if you do it correctly/ aggressively it will work every time. There seem to be a few lemons out there because I know some guys seem to be having problems no matter what they do.
Clean the gun thoroughly ( I use Frog Lube )
Run a couple hundred rounds through the gun
Rack the slide aggressively
Don't limp wrist
Some suggest when the gun/mags are new to leave the mag 1 round short ( I don't do this on the XDs but works well with high capacity nines)
If the gun still isn't working take it to a gunsmith or send it back.
In my book the XDs is a good little gun and very accurate at combat distance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
coupon code for xds wrist bow
coupon code wrist bow
nosling
the wrist bow xds
the wrist bow xds coupon code

wrist bow xds

wrist bow xds arrow
wrist bow xds coupon
wrist bow xds coupon code
wrist bow xds slingshot

wristbow xds

wristbow xds slingshot
xdm wont slingshot
xds com wrist bow sling
xds wrist sling shot
xds9mm wont slingshot
Click on a term to search for related topics.