• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

carry: XDs vs. XD(m) in 45ACP

This is a discussion on carry: XDs vs. XD(m) in 45ACP within the XD-45ACP Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Greetings, I've searched, but didn't find what I was looking for. If this question has come up already, please redirect me. I currently own the ...

Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 3120
carry: XDs vs. XD(m) in 45ACP

Greetings,
I've searched, but didn't find what I was looking for. If this question has come up already, please redirect me.

I currently own the xd9 subcompact, and after 8 years I'm looking to upgrade to a larger caliber for my carry pistol. I like the looks of the xd(m) and the XDs, and I really want to go to .45ACP. I do want to stick with a subcompact model.

I'm torn. The XDs is slim, but only has 5+1, and I'm used to carrying more rounds than that. The XD(m) has 9+1 which I like. Also, the XDs is new, and I've read that some people have had some issues with it. I figure, by the time I am ready to purchase, those kinks will be worked out (if in fact they are design problems and not user problems or ammo problems.)

Besides capacity, the only other sticking point is overall length... 7" vs. 6.3". Does anyone have experience with both, and have input to help me guide my decision? I'm having trouble finding a LGS with both models for a side by side comparison. And, do you find that the additional 4 rounds makes a difference in practical applications for an (almost) every day carrier? I am not LEO or military, so I really don't know how important the additional 4 rounds would be, but I don't want to be left with a surprise if and/or when I need to draw or shoot.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 31897
Hi. I carry an XD 45 with a 4" barrel and full size frame on occasion. I carry it in an OWB dillon holster.
I don't have a problem concealing it under a Columbia button down shirt down here in Louisiana.
Kimber Ultra Carry .45 & Super Pro Carry .45
Colt Combat Government
Bennelli SBE
Remington VTR .308
Rock River .223 AR
AK underfolder
Cajun XDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 54705
I have both and now only carry the XDS. Its much more versatile, can be hidden easier and is much less likely to print, and weighs considerably less. The only advantage of the compact over the xds is the extra rounds.

Nate
N8rfastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 35615
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8rfastback View Post
I have both and now only carry the XDS. Its much more versatile, can be hidden easier and is much less likely to print, and weighs considerably less. The only advantage of the compact over the xds is the extra rounds.

Nate
Well the round count AND the fact that the M is not riddled with complaints on malfunctions.

- George Washington
XD-Generate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 71126
Well IMO, the XDs is easier to conceal. Can fit in most jean pockets, IWB holster probably very easily.

However, with like all new tools in the toolbox, you will need to spend time working with your new tool. Yes, there are people who are having issues with FTF, FTE and FT'whatever, but I think after a few hundred rounds if the pistol is having issues, send it back to SA and have them duplicate the problem.

With that said, my EDC is the 40SC and although I like the 40 round, if SA made a 45 SC, I would be there. The XDs fills that void I think. The LGS has 4 of them, I almost bought one, but am waiting to see what happens with a used XDm 45 Compact 3.8 that I am waiting on a seller to sell me. This is to replace the XD45 Compact I sold just last Friday. If the XDm45 compact purchase happens, then the XDs will be next for sure.

Good luck with your decision.

KD5ZMG
aka Mark C

"The Dalai Lama said acts of violence should be remembered, and then forgiveness should be extended to the perpetrators. But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, he said, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. Not at the head, where a fatal wound might result. But at some other body part, such as a leg." -- Dalai Lama The Seattle Times May 15, 2001

Tha's it Lama, make'em suffer, maybe they will learn not to do it again...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
kd5zmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 60921
If I had to pick between the 2 I would go with the xds. I was wanting to buy one of the 2 but I went with the Kahr pm45. Dont get me wronge I love SA but I liked the kahr a lil better. Its a hair ( not by much to make a diffrence) and has been out a lil longer. Plus I like the way it looks better. It is so small, slim and light I forget I have it on me alot of times. Its a lil to big to fit comfy in my pocket (for me anyway) but a good IWB holster is the trick.
Remington 700 7mm Remington Magnum
Mossberg 835
Auto Ordnance/ Thompson 1911 45ACP
Smith and Wesson 38 Special
big_buck_down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 33491
There are some people who have had issues but I am not one of them. It's actually the opposite as my 2nd xd45 is the only one that I have had some FTF issues. I absolutely love my XDs though and it is perfect for me. I use to carry the xd45 but it is too big for me to conceal easily. The LCP was a good replacement for a while as it is light, small and easy for me to conceal. However, I really dislike carrying a round smaller than the 45. So I almost compromised and bit the bullet on a Shield in 40 S&W until the range employee slipped up and said Springfield was bringing out a single stack 45. Seeing as I have owned 2 xd's before and that I love the platform of course I had to get one! So I got the XDs back in July and did I mention I love this gun!? The LCP now just collects dust and the xd45 stays in the night stand. I have had absolutely no FTF's or FTE's with both FMJ's and personal defense ammo in 300+rounds. This pistol is very accurate as well in the right hands with the fiber optic front sight and makes for quick target aquisition too. In my dealings with Springfield's customer service as well (I found out they send out holsters for us southpaws!) I can say that I would have no hesitation in buying any of their products as they stand behind them.

Last edited by jrock; 09-25-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: .
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 74119
FWIW, I have an XDM compact in 9, same size as the XDM 45 you're thinking about, and I've found I don't like carrying it. It's just too big and uncomfortable for me.

This is very much personal preference and depends on things like body type (I'm 6-5 280) and environment, but I've gotten to the point where I will almost only carry smaller single stack guns like my 938 Sig.

So for me I would go with the XDS. You can carry it in a small rig, in a pocket, almost anywhere. Yes, you give up rounds, so there is a draw back. But 7 or 8 rounds of 9 or 380 if I carry the 239 with me is better than 14 rounds home in my safe.

Others will feel differently and lot's of folks carry large guns. To each his own.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 68224
Some people do conceal the xdm .45 compact, but I too find it a bit big for most pockets or IWB carry, and that's with the 9 round magazine. That may be me. So go to your LGS and check 'em out. I do like the pistol for general use. Shoots well. Winter clothes may work better than summer.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
XDTalk Member

Member #: 60921
I feel the same. you cary less rounds. but chances are unless you get in a gun fight you will only need 2 maybe 3 tops. but carry what you like. i carry my kahr in warm months and my compact 1911 during the colder months because of the weight
Remington 700 7mm Remington Magnum
Mossberg 835
Auto Ordnance/ Thompson 1911 45ACP
Smith and Wesson 38 Special
big_buck_down is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room

.45acp, carry, ccw, xd(m), xds

Search tags for this page

best compact 45 acp concealed carry 2012

springfield xd 45 vs xds 45

springfield xdm 45 vs xds 45
xd 3.8 45 acp compact vs xd (s)

xd 45 vs xds 45

xd subcompact vs xds

xd vs xds

xdm 3.8 compact 45 vs xds
xdm 45 vs
xdm vs xds
xds 45 acp

xds 45 acp for sale

xds 45 vs xd 45
xds 45 vs xdm 45 compact
xds 9mm vs xds .45acp
Click on a term to search for related topics.