• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XD 45 tactical conversion to 460 rowland

This is a discussion on XD 45 tactical conversion to 460 rowland within the XD-45ACP Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; I'm excited, tomorrow I take my freshly converted XD 460 Rowland to the range and see what 44 mag power feels like in an XD!...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room » XD 45 tactical conversion to 460 rowland

Old 03-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 70625
XD 45 tactical conversion to 460 rowland

I'm excited, tomorrow I take my freshly converted XD 460 Rowland to the range and see what 44 mag power feels like in an XD!
Attached Thumbnails
XD 45 tactical conversion to 460 rowland-460rolandxd.jpg  
NormAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 65457
Good luck. Not to be a party ******, but most people have had reliability issues with them. I truly hope yours works.

There's a fella by the name ancshooter. This is his quote:

"I have two WWG converted xd 45s with a variety of springs, barrels, mag springs, etc.... I Have spent a fair amount of time and ammo trying to get the guns to be 100% reliable to feed without success until now.

I recently tried running 2 mag springs to put as much pressure on the bullet nose as possible - no more FTFs regardless of how you hold the gun, what ammo you shoot, or what mainspring you run. I have settled on a +3 mag extension with the heavy spring in combination with the standard. Capacity is 13, although you can push the 14th in in you really want to. All of my ammo with all three barrels and up to 28 lb mainsprings have fed 100% in both guns. I'm sticking with the ported barrel and wolf 24# 1911 mainspring (using the 1911 spring conversion guide rod). Cases are only lightly dented and land 10-15 feet away.

On the downside, the mag is tougher to load and insert with the slide closed, and it is easier to accidentally release the mag if you put any pressure on the mag release while shooting or handling with a full mag.

YMMV, but it costs nothing to give it a go."
lharrell79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 22296
I'm really interested in that conversion. It's a great idea and I hope it works!!

Federal weapon statutes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
cce1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 51908
Hm I never seen this before,tell us how it goes.
4fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 33132
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fifth View Post
Hm I never seen this before,tell us how it goes.
The XD .460 Rowland Project

don
dglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Range Report-

I put 50 rounds thru the 460 Rowland XD yesterday with 4 failure to feeds. Once I realized that I need to use a death grip on it there were no more FTF.

I'm an experienced shooter, and due to years of competitive powerlifting and bodybuilding I have plenty of strength. Not a 'Limp Wrist' shooter by any means. Having to squeeze the cr@p out of the grip is going to take some getting used to, not really sure if I'm willing to take the time to re-train and adjust my shooting style for this one pistol.

My reason for getting this caliber was so I would have another choice in trail protection when enjoying the backcountry here in Alaska. I already have 460V S&W X-Frame but figured it would be nice to have a lighter alternative for the winter months when all I really have to worry about are pissed off Moose (fairly common). With loads producing up to 970 ft lbs of energy I suppose the 460 Rowland would give me a better chance against a brown bear than I would have with a pointy stick, so I figured this gun would see plenty of carry time.

I guess I'll make a few more trips to the range before I make up my mind whether to keep it or not. I suppose if it comes to it I could always sell the 460 barrel and keep the XD since it IS a fine weapon in it's original form.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormAK View Post
Range Report-

I put 50 rounds thru the 460 Rowland XD yesterday with 4 failure to feeds. Once I realized that I need to use a death grip on it there were no more FTF.

I'm an experienced shooter, and due to years of competitive powerlifting and bodybuilding I have plenty of strength. Not a 'Limp Wrist' shooter by any means. Having to squeeze the cr@p out of the grip is going to take some getting used to, not really sure if I'm willing to take the time to re-train and adjust my shooting style for this one pistol.

My reason for getting this caliber was so I would have another choice in trail protection when enjoying the backcountry here in Alaska. I already have 460V S&W X-Frame but figured it would be nice to have a lighter alternative for the winter months when all I really have to worry about are pissed off Moose (fairly common). With loads producing up to 970 ft lbs of energy I suppose the 460 Rowland would give me a better chance against a brown bear than I would have with a pointy stick, so I figured this gun would see plenty of carry time.

I guess I'll make a few more trips to the range before I make up my mind whether to keep it or not. I suppose if it comes to it I could always sell the 460 barrel and keep the XD since it IS a fine weapon in it's original form.
When you had the fails to feed, what happened? Did they nose dive?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Actually the only one I clearly remember examining before clearing it was a stovepipe, nose up.

All the brass I recovered have a strange indentation about 1/4" down from the mouth of the cartridge for some reason.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormAK View Post
Actually the only one I clearly remember examining before clearing it was a stovepipe, nose up.

All the brass I recovered have a strange indentation about 1/4" down from the mouth of the cartridge for some reason.
Stovepipes are indicative of limpwristing, so you may be right in needing to put a death grip on it. What all did the kit come with? Barrel, guide rod, recoil spring, etc? Does it have multiple springs? If the recoil spring is too heavy, that could also cause a stovepipe.

I'd say before you give up on it, you need to do several things. Mark your magazines: #1, #2, #3. Use all three mags, and put a couple hundred rounds through the pistol. Keep a note pad with you. Everytime you have a failure, note what magazine it was, and what type of failure. Try to determine what actually happened. Stovepipes are easy. It didn't clear the ejection port. If you have a fail to feed, try to determine why. The bullet nose dived, it got hung up on the feed ramp, etc.

I know the 460 Rowland isn't cheap. Personally, I wouldn't own one unless I reloaded for it, or knew someone who could. If it's going to protect you on the trail, it needs to be reliable 99.9% of the time. The only way to determine if it's going to be reliable is to put a bunch of rounds through it. Have fun, and keep us updated on your next range report.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 91501
Any CA conversions?

I am in the process of building up a 460 Rowland from my XD45 Tactical. I bought high power mag springs, a tungsten guide rod and the Rowland kit (plus a bunch of other parts while I was at it). Based on the information I could find, the compensated barrel performs better than the ported barrel and they both perform better than an unported barrel. Consequently I bought the compensated barrel. However I live in CA and as a result I need to somehow be certain that the barrel cannot be considered 'threaded' before I place the slide and barrel on the frame. Rowland provides Loctite and a set screw, but from what I have read, that probably won't fly. For my solution, I am considering:

1) Welding on a thread protector and turning it down so it will fit through the slide.
2) Machining out the compensator so that it will slide over the thread protector.
3) Place a pair of pins through the compensator that will also engage the thread protector and barrel to the dept of the original barrel threads.

This is the best way I can think of to have a compensated barrel in CA that will still allow me to remove the barrel from the slide. Has anyone come up with something else / better? Does anyone see any problems with my solution?
RandD is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-45ACP Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
.460 rowland conversion for xd .45

.460 rowland xd

.460 rowland xd conversion

460 rowland

460 rowland conversion for xd

460 rowland conversion sprungfield xd

460 rowland conversion xd

460 rowland springfield xd conversion

460 rowland xd

springfield 460 rowland

springfield xd 460 rowland

springfield xd 460 rowland conversion

xd 45 460 rowland conversion

xd 45 tactical
xd 460 roland

xd 460 rowland

Click on a term to search for related topics.